Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
I know some folks don't like the pillars, but once again I had the pleasure of experiencing pillars and not pillars. IME pillars, better. Not pillars, not better.

Not pillars at SFO, 739 to ATL. Whole families wearing backpacks and toting roller bags planted firmly 4 across and first in line blocking SKY. They did not move when Prem was called and they were very much in the way. They seemed confused. I don't know what zone they were in but I'd already finished my wine by the time they entered the plane.

The A321 out of ATL had the pillars. We were last to get to the gate before SKY was called and it was *so* nice to be able to sail on through the wide open Prem lane rather than joining a mob a la SFO.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dalehill
Whole families wearing backpacks...
They clearly do not understand the system.

Families with backpacks are supposed to board later in the process.

That way, as they are standing in the aisle, they can turn around to talk to the family member behind them and hit the FC passenger seated in the aisle seat in the face with the backpack.
puck021, hortkie, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
An easy fix would be to move DMs back to SKY.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by WWads
An easy fix would be to move DMs back to SKY.
I would be fine with a FIRST -> PREM -> SKY boarding order. I'm hesitant to merge SKY and Diamond as I think that being a Diamond should guarantee space in the overhead bin. While it is rare, I have been on flights where SKY had to gate check bags. And I do think DM should get priority on C+ bins as that is always an upstream struggle if you're at the end of the SKY line.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Do we need to go to the Public Transportation Fare Gate approach? You can only board the flight when your zone is called. The Gate Agent just advances the zone and if you enter during the wrong zone the gate buzzes and won't open. This approach serves a few purposes one it will automatically register to the Gate Agent that you are boarded, two it will avoid you boarding the wrong plane and thirdly you board with your zone!

If you need to Preboard the Boarding Pass is coded as Preboard and you enter through the Accessible Wheelchair Gate. Now if you board after your zone is called then you can enter with the other zone or perhaps during the "All Zones " Boarding Call.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:37 pm

Has it occurred to anyone that if the airline felt that this was a problem, they would have addressed it already? I think the title of the thread is inaccurate - Delta surely *knows* how to police their boarding, they just apparently choose not to, most of the time.
wrp96, pvn and puddinhead like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I wonder what the venn diagram of "people who are really concerned about who is using a wheelchair" and "people who are really concerned about whether people are boarding with the right zone" looks like.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
(I don't actually wonder, we all know exactly what it looks like)
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by pvn
(I don't actually wonder, we all know exactly what it looks like)
The wheelchairs don't bother me at all. There are very few of them and if some people want to fake it, OK. The crowds of jerks blocking the boarding area and making the whole process chaotic, disordered and unpleasant are a daily issue at most airports.
wrp96, shimps1 and Maggnum99 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
It's so blindingly obvious that Southwest boards its planes better than everyone else. Period.

While there are fewer "zones" on Southwest, the general principles applied should be used by every ... single ... airline.

Their antiquated IT might buckle at the notion of dishing out meaningful numbers to each person based on status, waivers, whatnot.

But it could be done.

"Pillars", "stanchions", "video boards" etc. will tell everyone where to stand and gate agents will only allow the appropriate people on board.

Also, stop hiring gate agents who can't speak at normal volumes. And stop deviating from scripts. Be precise about what it means to be a family traveling with small children, or "extra assistance".

It's simply absurd that Southwest ignores seats (which makes boarding incredibly inefficient because the front and aisles are often taken first), yet can manage to board planes faster, easier, and with less disruption than anyone else.

If this was any other business, the competition would long ago have adopted the best practice of their competitors. Imagine, for example, that someone invented a board for drive-thru food that, I don't know, showed the order you just made on a screen so you could confirm. Would McDonald's be like, "Nah, we don't think so, that's just the ping pong ball head guy going crazy." Of course not. They'd put those boards everywhere.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Has it occurred to anyone that if the airline felt that this was a problem, they would have addressed it already? I think the title of the thread is inaccurate - Delta surely *knows* how to police their boarding, they just apparently choose not to, most of the time.
I don't know about that as it seems to be an area of constant tinkering throughout the aviation industry and given how key this aspect is to one of the main perennial 'areas of improvement' for airlines - turnaround time.

I think it's more likely that they realize it's something that's not working amazingly well in practice, but struggle to come up with a solution that meets all their requirements in theory *and* practice.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
They clearly do not understand the system.

Families with backpacks are supposed to board later in the process.

That way, as they are standing in the aisle, they can turn around to talk to the family member behind them and hit the FC passenger seated in the aisle seat in the face with the backpack.
LOL Since I am both DM and always wearing a backpack, I would suggest that I always get an upgrade to avoid the whole face whacking deal as I walk down the aisle. Avoiding the whole face whacking deal is the thing that I love most about Turn Left flights.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Does Delta even have a Zone 4?

In general I agree with the absurdity that "Zone 1" is usually the last to board the plane. By the time Zone 1 is done (at least in ATL during peak hours), the plane is probably 80-90% boarded. Sky usually guarantees a carry-on, but it is quite normal to force a portion of Zone 1 to check bags. "Priority boarding"... mmhmm, sure.
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yes....they do.
Oh....I'm sorry...I must be mistaken.....
Ummm...anyone hear Basic Economy boarded in Zone 4 today?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Ummm...anyone hear Basic Economy boarded in Zone 4 today?
You're right! They have now added it to this page. Still, I don't see it on any of the TVs or placards or pillars. Wonder when/if they'll update those. I'm genuinely not sure what the point is given that there only seems to be 5 people left by the time Zone 3 rolls around anyways (at least in ATL - may be different at other airports).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by kxc262
NRT does it the best in my experience with DL - multiple agents in the area with signs designating zones and directing people to line up in lines that do not crowd walkways. Overall it was very smooth, but it could just be NRT ops and not DL.
The difference I see is simply that in ICN and NRT they have more people working and those working are doing their jobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.