Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One of the reasons I fly DL is because I DO NOT WANT TO FLY WN and I do not want to line up for boarding like a kindergarten class.
Agree 100%
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
One of the reasons I fly DL is because I DO NOT WANT TO FLY WN and I do not want to line up for boarding like a kindergarten class.
Originally Posted by C W
Categorically agreed.
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Agree 100%
Fine, but then you don't get to complain about gate lice ever
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by vincentharris
It will never happen until Amex no longer has a partnership with DL. Part of that partnership is your card gives you "priority" boarding.

Verbatim from the site:

Find room for your carry-on bag and settle into your seat sooner. Priority boarding allows you to board the plane sooner, stow your bag and settle in your seat before takeoff.
Oh... the wonderfully delusional world of advertising. Where "priority boarding" can mean that your are fifth in priority to board.

Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:33 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I haven't seen the GIDS showing what zone is boarding recently... just the screen behind the podium with a generic 'boarding'.
Agreed
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
Although back when we traveled more and my dad was GM people usually gave our family the stink-eye when we came and used the SP line, maybe that's because we are a family of 7 lol. Anyone else get that?
I have a family of 2, and we are the ones who give the stink-eye to families of 7 flying in Economy but using the SP line because dad is a Silver or a GM
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jwlowry
Agreed
I don't remember the last fight where I didn't see this on the GIDS.

Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
DL has created its own Boarding problems with printing Zone #1 and #2. The casual flyers actually think they are going to board first and second. Some GAs manage it well, but most do not. They need to eliminate the printed Zone 1 and 2.

1. Board persons requiring assistance and stroller children/families
2. "PREM" (FC and DM)
3. "Priority" (PM and GM)
4. Zone 3 (FO and C+)
5. Zone 4
6. Zone 5
7. Zone 6 (for larger aircraft)
Excluding the group needing extra time or assistance, do the groups as follows:

PREM (premium cabin and DM). Same as PREM currently.

SKY (rest of SkyPriority, including GM+). Same as SKY currently.

PRIORITY (FO, DL AmEx, partner elites including SPG crossover, etc.). This is what now is zone 1.

GENERAL (most everyone else, i.e., kettles in main cabin coach).

BASIC ECONOMY (those with E fares).

This avoids the problem of zone 1 really being group 3. Also, DL AmEx people get "priority" as promised.

Someone earlier suggested that the preboard group go after PREM and maybe after SKY too. That makes some sense in terms of allowing time for those PDBs to be served.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was thinking 2nd grade fire drill, but, yeh. I flew a r/t on Southwest last week. There are things to admire about the airline but line-up boarding isn't one of them.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have a family of 2, and we are the ones who give the stink-eye to families of 7 flying in Economy but using the SP line because dad is a Silver or a GM
A GM may be a low-rank Medallion but it's better than nothing. Not everyone is either rich enough to fly a lot on their own dime to get Diamond or travels for business enough to get it, don't see why the lower medallions shouldn't use the benefits they get? Plus how many families do you know who can afford to fly 7 people in business class for like 35k USD minimum?

Plus it isn't like we cut in front of Business class folks, we were on a short connection and they already boarded.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
A GM may be a low-rank Medallion but it's better than nothing. Not everyone is either rich enough to fly a lot on their own dime to get Diamond or travels for business enough to get it, don't see why the lower medallions shouldn't use the benefits they get? Plus how many families do you know who can afford to fly 7 people in business class for like 35k USD minimum?

Plus it isn't like we cut in front of Business class folks, we were on a short connection and they already boarded.
Chill out. My comment was meant to be funny / sarcastic, sorry if you took it the wrong way. But keep in mind that some airlines including DL extend priority boarding to other family members as a courtesy and not as a benefit.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Chill out. My comment was meant to be funny / sarcastic, sorry if you took it the wrong way. But keep in mind that some airlines including DL extend priority boarding to other family members as a courtesy and not as a benefit.
Sorry, I tend to be bad at reading whats a joke and whats serious which is strange because IRL I joke a lot. And thanks for clearing up what I said, courtesy is a better term.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
The root cause of the carry-on madness is the airlines charging for checked bags.
THIS! I flew on Southwest for the first time last month... despite my hesitation, it wasn't bad. Noticeably absent: lots of carry-ons and fighting for overhead bin space. No doubt this is due to Southwest's 2 checked bags included in the fare. Boarding was quick and orderly. I would attribute more of the boarding process going smoothly to the lack of carry-ons vs. kindergarten lineup since once you're in the metal tube, all seats are fair game on Air Grayhound.

Also, Delta has too darn many boarding classes. I'm more of a fan of JetBlue's setup: 1) Special needs, 2) Status (any) / Premium, 3) Everyone else. It really plays out more like 2 boarding groups than anything else and flat-out works.

Gate lice is definitely a problem, but always will be with the Kettles.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:36 am

Maybe I'm stupid, I don't know, I fly DL a lot out of SEA, and I really just don't care when people board. A lot of the trouble is with people that don't fly often apparently panicked that something awful will happen if their bag doesn't fit in the OH. Worst case your bag is gate checked and you have to wait a bit on deplaning, it isn't that big of a deal. I just don't understand all the added stress to save a few minutes. Also, in my experience, the GIDS, at least in SEA, almost never shows the boarding group that I can recall.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
If OH space wasn't a factor, people would not be in a rush to board. Well, ok, some kettles still would.

Make 1st checked bag free, charge for carryon, Medallion/F/C+/Priority excluded. Yes, that's still a lot of pax/plane usually, but if you're almost certain of OH space, it still wouldn't be a crush.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by Zorak
Fine, but then you don't get to complain about gate lice ever
Being the DM snob that I am, I rarely see the CF boarding and really didn't know the part of the plane behind FC existed (all TIC).

I do get frustrated with the Zone 1 people camping out at the front of the queue and then don't move out of the way when PREM and SKY are called, but I made a contract, so no more complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.