Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've always had a full meal service (no snack box) on BOS -> ATL and EWR -> ATL. Admittedly, my sample size is smaller than most, but I'm fairly certain that both of these routes qualify for meal service despite the distance/time.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:59 pm

[QUOTE=bgriff;27172618]
Originally Posted by bgriff
JFK-SFO
3 Sep 2016
Delta One
Lunch
75S

Sorry also forgot to post the pictures.
I've had this "mayo egg" dish twice. Once there was a mayo sauce with some chives on top. The other was dry but was literally covered in so much black pepper you literally could not see the surface of the egg and there was maybe 1/2 cm layer of pepper, to the point where I could scrape off a full layer with my fork without touching the egg. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen and could easily see an older/more sensitive person having a legitimate medical issue had they consumed it without paying much attention.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
CDG-SEA Sept 2016

Settling In
Mediterranean Tapas
stuffed pepper, grilled vegetables and feta-za'atar

Starters
Mixed Greens
with roaster beets, walnuts and blue cheese served with fig vinaigrette

Parsnip Cream Soup
with croutons

Main Course
Slow Cooked Duck
with sarladaise potatoes, grandmother peas and spicy tomato sauce

Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Port Wine Butter
with barley and kale pilaf, roasted butternut squash and artichokes

Roasted Cod Loin
with corn chowder, tomato jam and optional crispy prosciutto

Wheatberry and Mushroom Risotto
with picked onions and grilled lemon

Desserts
Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
with your choice of sauces, nuts, wafer cookie and whipped cream

Warm Chocolate Pecan Cake
with vanilla ice cream

Selection of Fine Cheeses
morbier, cantal and pavι d'affinois offered with fresh fruit and onion jam

Snacks
Skybreak Basket

Mid-flight Snack
Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie Service

Almost There
Cuban Pork Sandwich
pork loin, smoked ham, swiss cheese and dill pickles served on a baguette offered with mixed green salad

Chicken Satay
with farro and creamy mustard crema served with marinated vegetables and seasonal fresh fruit

France, NV / Light Bodied
Had exactly the same menu on FRA-JFK DL 400 on September 6. Except the beef was replaced with a German Chef selection of delicious tender beef roulade serve with mashed potatos red cabbage and onion and spiced apple. Cake was plated without ice cream so I scored a sundar as well.

I chose the chicken satay ith faro and veggies for pre arrival- cuban pork sandwich too heavy after a beef entree four-five hours before. I feel the same about the french dip. When am I gonna get the hamburger again TATL D1 pre-arrival. I love that.

D1 crew (all male) was super efficient and friendly- any refuse/wrappers, empty glasses were whisked away with 10 seconds.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I've always had a full meal service (no snack box) on BOS -> ATL and EWR -> ATL. Admittedly, my sample size is smaller than most, but I'm fairly certain that both of these routes qualify for meal service despite the distance/time.
BOS-ATL is over 900 miles so there would be meal service based on the departure time.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Midcon Dinner

DL2565
MSP-LAX
757-200
Dinner

Pre-flight beverages were served (I had a Woodford Reserve with a single ice cube).

Choices were the exact "beef with potatoes or fish with rice" mentioned in post 841. The fish seemed to be the more popular choice.

The steak was served with roasted potatoes, broccoli, a side salad (with tomatoes, mozzarella and cucumbers) and a roll/butter (from the basket). The steak was not the prettiest of presentations, but was not overcooked and had a very nice flavor. The red wine I enjoyed was quite nice.

Dessert was a jeni's vanilla ice cream, plunked down on my tray while I was still eating my main course. It was tasty, however.

Last edited by Kurt; Sep 21, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Updated the wiki with the new menus.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Crew on an RJ flight ex-LGA is visibly upset due to catering screw ups. 1100 mile flight but no snack baskets, cups, silverware, ice, and a random assortment of meals. Since we're mx delayed, they've called catering back to deliver the missing items.

Good on them. They should be promoted to mainline. DL needs to kick Gate Gourmet's asses. IME they are usually the ones who screw up.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Gate Gourmet really does have some delivery issues at LGA, at least more so than at other locations. Recently, several PDB services have been delayed because carts are still being loaded even though the plane had arrived at least thirty to forty minutes before boarding.

Good on the crew though. IME, the regional crews are really hit or miss, with DTW-based being the worst offenders.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Jeni's Ice Cream? That's from CMH...I suggested before DL should have Graeters (CVG). I guess it's good they're trying to provide a premium product from a small supplier though.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Time for some Coach meal posts!

September 2016 BOS -> CDG:

Meal options were chicken or pasta. Both were served with a salad, bread roll, shrimp appetizer, cookie.

The chicken was labelled "chicken romesco", pasta was "spinach agnolotti". Both were actually quite good:
Name:  spinich aonolotti chicken romesco.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  561.3 KB
Name:  Shrimp.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  459.1 KB

Return flight CDG -> BOS was on AF. I liked that they provided a small menu:
Name:  Menu.jpg
Views: 3307
Size:  509.0 KB

I'm not a big mushroom fan, but the chicken/cream sauce was actually very enjoyable:
Name:  Chicken.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  461.9 KB
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM
September 2016 DTW -> PEK in C+. Two meals + mid-flight snack served in coach. Love that they provided a small menu (first time I've seen this on a DL flight in Y):
Name:  MenuFront.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  402.7 KB
Name:  Menu001.jpg
Views: 2640
Size:  382.5 KB

I started with the black pepper pork for dinner, which I really liked:
Name:  Black Pepper Pork.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  497.9 KB

Mid-flight snack was a bleh sandwich in a bag, served with fruit and some cookies.

I got the sweet and sour chicken as my pre-arrival meal; was also quite good:
Name:  Sweet and Sour Chicken.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  493.1 KB

Service during the flight was OK... maybe I was just cranky about my seat mate taking up half my seat :-/ FA did find me a kit kat hidden away somewhere when I asked for something sweet in the galley

Return flight, normal Y... got a red amenity kit instead of the black one from C+ (what's the difference? they both have earplugs and an eye mask? iirc?)

Got a menu this time too:
Name:  Menu.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  400.9 KB

Got the stir fried chicken (bit bland, but good!). Salad an dessert were disappointing:
Name:  Stir Fried Chicken.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  361.6 KB

Mid-flight snack was again a meh sandwich in a bag with an apple and a chocolate wafer cookie this time.

For 'breakfast' I got the beef brisket (yum!). Was odd that it came with a crosspoint, fruit salad and OJ, but I actually like all of those things better than their normal dinner equivalents, so that worked out great
Name:  Beef Brisket.jpg
Views: 2578
Size:  452.9 KB

Much more comfortable flight in C- (seat mate fit in his seat much better this go around).

All in all, was very surprised with the Y meal service!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Kurt
DL2565
MSP-LAX
757-200
Dinner

Pre-flight beverages were served (I had a Woodford Reserve with a single ice cube).

Choices were the exact "beef with potatoes or fish with rice" mentioned in post 841. The fish seemed to be the more popular choice.

The steak was served with roasted potatoes, broccoli, a side salad (with tomatoes, mozzarella and cucumbers) and a roll/butter (from the basket). The steak was not the prettiest of presentations, but was not overcooked and had a very nice flavor. The red wine I enjoyed was quite nice.

Dessert was a jeni's vanilla ice cream, plunked down on my tray while I was still eating my main course. It was tasty, however.
ATL-SFO yesterday. Same exact meals (beef and fish/rice).
I didn't eat (One Flew South as we were leaving from E) and the service was exceptional.

I was actually post #841 so this meal seems to be following me around.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
EWR-CDG
1 Oct 2016
Delta One
Dinner
76Z v2 (the ex-Gulf Air ones with no overhead vents)

Main course options were the same as was recently posted for DTW-LHR. I had the Goat Cheese and Chive Ravioli which were quite good, a nice hearty fall kind of dish.

Appetizer line-up was a bit different (not sure if because of different route or because of different month): "Settling in" was a Maple-Glazed Smoked Salmon with farro salad and green apple mignonette; starters were Roasted Golden and Red Beets on a bed of wilted kale topped with goat cheese and walnuts served with maple balsamic vinaigrette, and the same Celeriac and Smoked Blue Cheese Soup.

Entire meal was very good and service was excellent. Only odd thing was a significant amount of overlap between the different courses if one chose the ravioli: farro salad with both the smoked salmon and the main, a similar dressing and recurrence of maple between the salmon and the salad, and walnuts and goat cheese appearing on both the salad and the main.

Also, someone recently posted that they were denied the Dine and Rest option as the FAs had run out -- I had never really thought about it before but that makes sense, given that with the regular service the salad is served on a full plate, while on the Dine and Rest tray it is served in a smaller side bowl, so certain numbers of each must be catered in advance.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:15 pm

DL990
MSP-LAX
757-200
Lunch

Nice service to the West Coast; peanuts and pretzels were offered with drinks (pre-flight drinks were also offered).

Return of the Salad Niηoise, this time with salmon (I had it with tuna earlier in the year). It's very good, really. I asked the flight attendant for the lemon slices; they add a nice, bright taste to the salmon. The other choice was a calzone. Chocolate cake with grapes and cheese. The snack basket came around about an hour before landing.

Good service all around.

Last edited by Kurt; Oct 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:23 pm

DL2224
LAX-SEA
717-200
Lunch

We took a 30-minute delay as catering was late to show up; we still arrived on schedule in Seattle.

We are in full breast cancer awareness month, with pink ties, scarves and pocket squares on crew members and even a big pink balloon arch at gate 51 at LAX. Onboard, pink lemonade and a "pink martini" (pink lemonade plus Finlandia vodka) are also on offer.

Lunch was a choice of chicken with noodles, or salmon with rice. The chicken dish came with carrots, mushrooms and a large piece of bok choy. It was served warm. Breadsticks and a Dancing Deer oatmeal-raisin cookie completed the meal. Good service again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.