Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
Low cost longhaul tkts. Even with Plat and Amex, DL will lose my biz.
If UA follows, will fly less.
It's a shame, since I was planning on shifting 25000 from UA to DL this yr, dropping from 1K to Plat on UA, because of full m$s waiver on amex reserve. UA only waives thru Plat.
With miles inflation and now lower earns, miles mean nothing. :-(
I posted elsewhere that to earn the same miles on a $700 ticket today you need to spend something like $2800 in 2015. The low cost flyer is hurt in this program. The high fare flyer wins. A $8000.00 gets you the max: 75,000
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by guttermeat
Just got off the phone with Delta Diamond desk, the change is for MQMs also.
Literally the first sentence of the e-mail that they sent to millions of people says that MQMs are not changing...but you're right, I'm sure you and the DM rep you talked to are right and their official communication is not...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
From late June, 2013 to 12/31/2013:

59 MQS
63,368 MQM
$11,995 MQD
83,514 Skymiles earned by flying.

Using the 2015 Skymiles calculation algorithm, my 2013 travel would accumulate 60,744 Skymiles...a 27% reduction.

Notes: I only made GM. About 50% of my travel was RDU-MEM-RDU which is between $800-$1,100 per RT.

YTD 2014:

19 MQS
25,292 MQM
$2,522 MQD
50,584 Skymiles earned by flying

Using the 2015 Skymiles calculation algorithm, my 2014YTD travel would accumulate 28,981 Skymiles, a 43% reduction.

Notes: Travel almost exclusively RDU-Los Angeles booked 3-4 weeks in advance.

The 2015 award flights better be cheap and plentiful.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I am more and more confused by Deltas moves lately. The MQD thing i understood as a way to restrict all us MR people who leap on the $200 mistake fares to japan and reap the MQMs. But with this....all it seems to do is what others mentioned, make the poor poorer and the rich richer. For those 'average' travelers who book way in advance, plan family vacations, arent exclusive to one airline, all this does is make it THAT much harder for them to accumulate significant miles. And at the same time given the really low value of skypesos (of course they say they are fixing that but....ill believe it when i see it), cutting the earnings of regular slut fare tickets by what looks liek 25% on average, while still charging insane 100-200k for biz awards, just makes it impossible to achieve.

While at the same time it hugely favors the business traveler who expenses the trip, or travels at the last min in full paid BE tickets. As was mentioned, a last min BE fare at $8,000 as a DM with 11x points, would give 88,000 miles.

To me this just looks like Delta is trying to shoo away normal travelers and become an airline exclusively flown by business travelers with very generous travel perks.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Platinum
I fly mostly in the eastern US, sometimes at the last minute. I've paid $944 for ATL-CVG before (in coach). I haven't done the math yet, but I'm betting I'll come out ahead with this change.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, and they said there would be more award availability after the 72hr rule went into effect also. How'd that work out?
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of their award inventory management. Not from my perspective at least.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Nicely done Delta, a quick review of the results in this thread up to about post #75 shows the following results stated:
  • 22% improvement
  • 23% no change
  • 55% less favorable

Yup, the rich and those fortunate to have an employer paying those high fares will do very well, for the rest of us, move on time!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:49 pm

that's the point

They're moving to reward those who spend more on them. Their technology that they use allows them to explicitly value those travelers who contribute the most to their bottom line and reward them accordingly. Technology along with capacity discipline within delta and within the industry allows them to do this. No giving away things like they use to to people who don't contribute. They don't have to do that any more. And I think other airlines will make the same decisions. Because they can. And Should.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I am more and more confused by Deltas moves lately. The MQD thing i understood as a way to restrict all us MR people who leap on the $200 mistake fares to japan and reap the MQMs. But with this....all it seems to do is what others mentioned, make the poor poorer and the rich richer. For those 'average' travelers who book way in advance, plan family vacations, arent exclusive to one airline, all this does is make it THAT much harder for them to accumulate significant miles. And at the same time given the really low value of skypesos (of course they say they are fixing that but....ill believe it when i see it), cutting the earnings of regular slut fare tickets by what looks liek 25% on average, while still charging insane 100-200k for biz awards, just makes it impossible to achieve.

While at the same time it hugely favors the business traveler who expenses the trip, or travels at the last min in full paid BE tickets. As was mentioned, a last min BE fare at $8,000 as a DM with 11x points, would give 88,000 miles.

To me this just looks like Delta is trying to shoo away normal travelers and become an airline exclusively flown by business travelers with very generous travel perks.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:50 pm

where will you move?

Eventually every airline will have some variation of this...

Originally Posted by ORDNorth
Nicely done Delta, a quick review of the results in this thread up to about post #75 shows the following results stated:
  • 22% improvement
  • 23% no change
  • 55% less favorable

Yup, the rich and those fortunate to have an employer paying those high fares will do very well, for the rest of us, move on time!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG PPG
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

Actually it caps out at 75k per trip (although others have hinted at buying 2 one way fares to really maximize miles) and what are these generous travel perks you speak of?

Edit: you meant from their employer. Was thinking calling Delta's benefits generous was optimistic at best.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
For those keeping score, +1 toward "less favorable". Looks like I'll have to leave, as much as I enjoy the Delta product and people.

As a low-to-moderate value frequent flyer, I'd probably earn somewhere less than half as much in the new program.

Maybe it makes sense for Delta to lose me. Hopefully they can find a kettle to replace my revenue with fees.

Will probably move over to Alaska and use AA for long-haul.

(Silver lining: Didn't waste a credit pull on a DL Amex yet...)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
What are the odds they'll change their burn rate? Will it still be 25k/50k for RT tix? Or since the earn curve is changing will the burn change too?

For other programs that have this structure, does burn look different?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Mishap
Actually it caps out at 75k per trip (although others have hinted at buying 2 one way fares to really maximize miles) and what are these generous travel perks you speak of?

Edit: you meant from their employer. Was thinking calling Delta's benefits generous was optimistic at best.
Whoops sorry i missed the 75k cap. And yes, employer perks

For those wanting a good laugh at my numbers (lots of travel on AF/KLM and award tickets):
2013 Flight totals:
MQM 75,541
Miles earned 72,084
MQD: $1,338 LOL.

2015:
Assuming PM+Reserve totaling 11 per $1.
14,718 Miles

Which means a 79.58% reduction
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sdix
I posted elsewhere that to earn the same miles on a $700 ticket today you need to spend something like $2800 in 2015. The low cost flyer is hurt in this program. The high fare flyer wins. A $8000.00 gets you the max: 75,000
No, a $8000 fare (including carrier imposed fees but not government taxes and fees) X 11 miles per dollar = 88,000 miles for a DM, which exceeds the 75,000 limit per ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jasondc
They're moving to reward those who spend more on them. Their technology that they use allows them to explicitly value those travelers who contribute the most to their bottom line and reward them accordingly. Technology along with capacity discipline within delta and within the industry allows them to do this. No giving away things like they use to to people who don't contribute. They don't have to do that any more. And I think other airlines will make the same decisions. Because they can. And Should.
Riiiiight....because people like me who fly 150k-200k (with a spend of 15k-20k) a year for work that don't have the privilege of frivolously spending extra money on the same seats in economy don't contribute. And because the top 4-5% who can purchase higher fares are the ones who contribute the most to the bottom-line, not the other 95%.

This is just my opinion but I think this is a huge oversight on Delta's part - they think that their demand is inelastic because of the lack of competition in a lot of cities and that pissing off a large part of their customer-base won't change anything. They think people will complain for a bit and forget about it and accept the new normal and other airlines will see that and follow suit. I hope that doesn't happen - I hope their competitors identify the opportunity to poach customers appropriately (seems to already be happening with AA) and Delta suffers for their seeming lack of care for their customers. Because that is what should happen with proper competition in a free market if that is still the case with airlines.

And if it isn't...that means that airlines are just a small step from completely colluding to make flying a worse and more expensive experience for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.