Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
I’ll be back to update you soon and let you know when it’s live.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Delta SkyMiles forum in particular, DwayneSkyMiles!

I was just at the world headquarters of Delta Air Lines earlier today and met with people from several different departments — including one of the official company representatives here on FlyerTalk.

Anyway, please let me know if I can assist you in assisting FlyerTalk members in any way.

Thank you, DwayneSkyMiles.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My Christmas gift would be if DL stopped giving MQM's via car rentals, CC's (yeah I know this one isn't going away), hotel stays, promos, and selling outright. Make elite something earned by flying.
I hear ya, but DL doesn't. And won't.

The problem here is perspective. We, as travelers, have no incentive to see DL give away MQM droplets like candy if we achieve status BIS. OTOH, the airline perspective is those who fly less will want additional MQM's to get to a higher level, top off an account, or just add to rollover.

Not very pretty but the airline is right. Well, from a profit point of view anyway. They give up some MQM's and in return, receive commissions from AmEx, Hertz, Hilton, etc. For DL it is a win-win, even more profitable when they sell MQM's outright.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I hear ya, but DL doesn't. And won't.

The problem here is perspective. We, as travelers, have no incentive to see DL give away MQM droplets like candy if we achieve status BIS. OTOH, the airline perspective is those who fly less will want additional MQM's to get to a higher level, top off an account, or just add to rollover.

Not very pretty but the airline is right. Well, from a profit point of view anyway. They give up some MQM's and in return, receive commissions from AmEx, Hertz, Hilton, etc. For DL it is a win-win, even more profitable when they sell MQM's outright.
This. BIS MQM means DL had to fly planes, with all the costs that entails. Selling MQMs to partners or directly to the consumer is basically free money. They will never stop doing this. That's why I laugh when certain people on this board take great pleasure in reminding us that DL is a corporation in business to make a profit and then with the next breath turn around and wish for DL to thin the elite ranks by forcing people to earn MQMs exclusively by flying.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: NW WP
But I would kindly suggest that DL can the idea of people buying MQM so they can reach the next level. ... plenty of people do end of year mileage runs which also increases revenue.
Um, mileages runs are buying MQMs to reach the next level.

The smart move by Delta would be to not require people to actually fly because then you (1) sell the miles bringing in revenue for nothing, and (2) can still sell the seats to people who do want to fly.

Last year, I took a mileage run and when I boarded the plane, I wasted a whole day and took up a seat on six flights for no reason other than MQMs. Delta could have sold that seat to someone else and still allowed me to do what I wanted to do. But by requiring me to fly, they cut their revenues chances.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by gelaro

The smart move by Delta would be to not require people to actually fly because then you (1) sell the miles bringing in revenue for nothing, and (2) can still sell the seats to people who do want to fly.

Last year, I took a mileage run and when I boarded the plane, I wasted a whole day and took up a seat on six flights for no reason other than MQMs. Delta could have sold that seat to someone else and still allowed me to do what I wanted to do. But by requiring me to fly, they cut their revenues chances.
And on top of that, DL may have sold that seat to someone for a higher fare. Those of us doing MRs are looking for the lowest fare possible. We often don't care where we go, as long as it's cheap so we can maximize MQMs per dollar spent. DL's profit margin on a $250 transcon flight where 5,000 MQMs are earned? Probably negligible at best, more likely a loss overall. DL's profit margin for selling you those 5,000 MQMs at $495: basically 100%. From DL's perspective it makes perfect sense to offer this.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

I have advocated the concept of a virtual MR for years, and usually get a bunch of derisive replies. The purists among us just cannot past the need to actually put your butt into a seat. The virtual MR would save time and ancillary costs for the frequent flyer, and actually allow the airline to sell the seat again. Win-win.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Emerald EE; Delta PM; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
The people who say it isn't worth it must have forgotten what it's like to have no status. And I've done pretty well even as a lowly Silver. I get upgraded maybe 25-30% of the time. I realize I don't usually fly routes like ATL-LAX or to other heavy-elite markets but I still do alright. Silver also gets me access to priority seating, most importantly, the exit row. At 6'4, being able to select the exit row at booking is a HUGE perk. Free access to EC at check-in. And better priority in an IROP situation, for which I found the value of when flying home just a couple days before Christmas last year. And by having both Silver and the Delta AmEx, I can get two free bags instead of just one. The DL AmEx gets you one free bag and Silver gets you one free bag, for a total of two free bags, and since I often travel with golf clubs in addition to a suitcase, that's $50 saved each trip. So yes, I would pay for MQMs to make Silver. Even if they're nowhere near the benefits that GMs, PMs, and DMs get, the benefits are there for us.
Also, don't pick the latest departure flight on a Sunday and don't pick the latest return flight on a Thursday night.
I just got a new job as a consultant, and all the people I know leave and return home on that pattern. I get 2000+ MQM each week and my position in the upgrade list is around the middle of the list.
MSP is not really DL heavy hub like ATL but even so, you have to be number 2 or 3 on the upgrade list to get the upgrade. On a good day, I might be about 15 or so.
The only good thing for GM and above is the HOOU coupon.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
At the end of the day the last 20 posts in this thread have given quite a few very valid points. I want a profitable airline. I totally understand DL selling MQMs direct, to Amex, Hertz, Hilton etc. I understand those who proudly have earned all their miles BIS. But don't forget many don't do MRs 100% for MQMs/status, there are quite a few on this board that actually really enjoy BIS miles i.e. FLYING. I am one of them. I still get a thrill when boarding an aircarft.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:17 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I still get a thrill when boarding an aircarft.

Codn't have said it better myself.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:49 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat

I agree in general, however I have taken a couple international MRs. Not the brutal sit for days on end type but stopped and stayed somewhere I wouldn't generally visit. They were fun and achieved the goal.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have advocated the concept of a virtual MR for years, and usually get a bunch of derisive replies. The purists among us just cannot past the need to actually put your butt into a seat. The virtual MR would save time and ancillary costs for the frequent flyer, and actually allow the airline to sell the seat again. Win-win.
By allowing virtual MR's, DL would lose pretty much lose all pricing control over the MQM's. People would simply snap up the cheapest cpm flights and inflate the Medallion ranks like crazy. Just find a 4 cpm fare and you've got 10,000 MQM's for $400. Also, the 10,000 MQM cap is also important part of the buy-up promo to prevent too much rank inflation. The buy-up program presents them with some additional revenue while still protecting the Medallion ranks from getting too inflated.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
At the end of the day the last 20 posts in this thread have given quite a few very valid points. I want a profitable airline. I totally understand DL selling MQMs direct, to Amex, Hertyz, Hilton etc. I understand those who proudly have earned all their miles BIS. But dont forget many dont do MRs 100% for MQMs/status, there aRe quite a few on this board that actually really enjoy BIS miles i.e. FLYING. I am one of them. I still get a thrill when boarding an aircarft.
Can't disagree with that. ^ I didn't even realize it until after I had selected my flights (I was selecting flights for my MR solely on schedule/price), but to my surprise, I pull up the seat map for my DTW-LAX leg to select my seat and it's a 777! Then I'm lucky enough to get an upgrade (2 days before the flight no less, even as a Silver) and get to experience F in the Lie-Flat seats with awesome IFE features all the way across the country. And I had a trip to Wichita, KS right after that for business. I purposely booked the ticket to connect through both MSP and ATL coming back rather than just connecting through ATL or just MSP. Part of the reason was extra miles and extra MQMs but I too still get a huge thrill out of boarding a plane (even though I've done it over 300 times now in my short life), and was more than happy to book a double connection coming home. I'll also admit that part of the reason was so I can add more "routes" and see more lines on my Flight Memory, hahaha. Whenever I fly somewhere, I always look to see if there's a way I can add new airports or routes to my history.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

False logic. One of the main reasons there are cheap seats out there for mileage runs is precisely because DL does NOT believe they will sell the seats. Selling 25,000 MQM's for $1000 (or less), which is effectively what you are advocating, is a surefire way for out-of-control Medallion inflation.

MR's remain a fairly niche thing right now because there is more involved than just cost of the ticket. There's the time involved and having to sit on a airplane, the expenses of getting to and from the airport, parking, possible positioning flights, hotel nights to meet fare rules/fare availability, etc. Making people work for it is a good thing as it prevents too much Medallion inflation (do you really want to see typical flights where half the flyers are Plat or higher?? ) and reduces pressure to change the program from a mileage based program to a purely revenue based one. I can assure you that any revenue based program is going to require a lot more than $3000 in spend to make Plat.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:42 am
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Can't disagree with that. ^ --- I purposely booked the ticket to connect through both MSP and ATL coming back rather than just connecting through ATL or just MSP. Part of the reason was extra miles and extra MQMs but I too still get a huge thrill out of boarding a plane (even though I've done it over 300 times now in my short life), and was more than happy to book a double connection coming home. I'll also admit that part of the reason was so I can add more "routes" and see more lines on my Flight Memory, hahaha. Whenever I fly somewhere, I always look to see if there's a way I can add new airports or routes to my history.
Oh absolutely I confess to all that too. I have no airports in the UPER - upper Michigan Peninsula. Looking to rectify that next year.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Think about it from DL's perspective. DL knows there are people who will do mileage runs to otherwise get status. DL probably loses money on those MRs. Here, they're giving you the same result without having to fly you from coast to coast. If you're going to get status anyway, DL would rather take $495 straight cash from you than you take a $250 trip where they'll lose money on the fare. You the traveler get the same result (MQMs), and Delta comes out at least $250 ahead of the game and doesn't sell you a fare they'll ultimately lose on.
DL doesn't lose on the $250 fare, that's a seat that would otherwise go empty.

DL is profitable at its current load factor. Imagine how profitable it would be if the paid load factor on some flights were 110% (and they didn't have to rebook anybody).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.