Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I'm hoping they do. I did an MR to make Gold this year and will clear Gold by about 1,000 MQMs this year once everything posts, but I may still buy a few MQMs to help wih rollover and ensure I at least maintain Silver for 2014 since my travel schedule is looking lighter in 2013 than it is for 2012.
I'm in the exact same boat, except I'll need some rollover to hit GM again. First time I'll be able to really take advantage of non BIS MQM.

Makes me feel kind of dirty, now that I think about it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, Hertz
What did Delta charge per MQM (or 1000 MQM) last year?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by NYCflip
Worth is dependent on each person and their flying patterns. Yes, you can get some of the benefits from an Amex DL card, but as mentioned above (in addition to having a dedicated phone line that is slightly better than kettles), there are some intangibles that the card won't get you, even as a "lowly" FO. I was an FO not too long ago and 8/12 upgrades was more than worth it, twice with non-status companions! Also, some airports do allow FOs priority check in, etc.
I stand corrected then. I guess it depends on the routes you fly, and I forgot about EC seating. I live in NYC and take heavily travelled business flights. I got upgraded once or twice as FO, maybe 25% as GM, and maybe 50-60% as PM. But if you aren't in a location with lots of DM, PM, and GM and first class isn't typically full, it could be worth it.

Last edited by Selendia; Nov 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by cxxviii
What did Delta charge per MQM (or 1000 MQM) last year?
last year it was pretty pricey IMO..
# of MQMs Price cent per MQM
2,500 $295 $0.12
5,000 $495 $0.10
7,500 $695 $0.09
10,000 $895 $0.09
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tubesoxs
Can you roll over purchased MQM's? I though that wasn't allowed.
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Will purchased MQMs count towards rollover or do you lose the ones you don't need for status?
The purchased MQMs rolled over last year.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:20 pm

FO is worth more than a Amex card. EC seats, I am running about 50 percent on upgrades. I get to select preferred seating. When I get upgraded I get sky priority boarding? The biggest benefit is rollover, which you do not get with Amex.

Also if you get a reroute you get booked in Y class fare, and head to the top of the upgrade list. I was number 1 of 20 or so from SLC to ORD and 2 of 60 or so ORD to ATL.

Please stop with the FO is worthless. The jump from nothing to FO is much bigger than FO to GM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by reef58
Please stop with the FO is worthless. The jump from nothing to FO is much bigger than FO to GM.
Could not agree more. Yes, AmEx provides some similar benefits, but an occasional upgrade (I'm at 15% with FO, 0% with AmEX) and getting EC seats about 90% of the time (when the DMs get pushed to F, I pounce on the seats). On top of that, I get the tiny RDM bonus on flown miles, which I like.

I fly Delta primarily because I like the hard product, but FO is enough to keep me paying a touch more for my seats.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
On another note, I hope they sell MQM this year. I'm projecting that I'll have about 10K MQM rolled over (usually don't have extra MQM - I qualify on segs), and already have a couple of overseas trips planned early next year. Would love to push myself into gold early next year to qualify through 2014....
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My Christmas gift would be if DL stopped giving MQM's via car rentals, CC's (yeah I know this one isn't going away), hotel stays, promos, and selling outright. Make elite something earned by flying.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My Christmas gift would be if DL stopped giving MQM's via car rentals, CC's (yeah I know this one isn't going away), hotel stays, promos, and selling outright. Make elite something earned by flying.
I don't have a problem with the promos. I've earned all 133K MQMs this year from BIS and rollover - the 250 MQMs I got from my last stay at a HGI.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So, here's an interesting thought experiment. While in principle, BIS earning seems a "purer" way to earn MQMs, there is the other side of the MQMs ledger which is redemption. Since it is currently easier to earn and harder to burn, if you constrain earning possibilities but do not unleash additional award availability, it's a lose-lose, no? Of course this assumes no additional award availability, but it's not an unreasonable assumption.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
So, here's an interesting thought experiment. While in principle, BIS earning seems a "purer" way to earn MQMs, there is the other side of the MQMs ledger which is redemption. Since it is currently easier to earn and harder to burn, if you constrain earning possibilities but do not unleash additional award availability, it's a lose-lose, no? Of course this assumes no additional award availability, but it's not an unreasonable assumption.
You're confusing MQMs (which have no award redemption value) and regular miles, which do have redemption value.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mridley2
last year it was pretty pricey IMO..
# of MQMs Price cent per MQM
2,500 $295 $0.12
5,000 $495 $0.10
7,500 $695 $0.09
10,000 $895 $0.09
Yikes. More expensive than I thought they would be. Cheaper to do a MR if you have the time. I guess that what it comes down to - DL is clearly offering this to those who don't have the time and/or value time more than anything else and find spending $495 to get 5,000 MQMs is better than spending $250 but spending an entire day doing a Mileage Run. I mean, you can easily find east-coast to west-coast trips which will get you 5,000 MQMs for less than the price they're offered 2,500 MQMs for last year.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by tubesoxs
Can you roll over purchased MQM's? I though that wasn't allowed.
Yes you can. I specifically bough some last year for this very reason.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
cue/kyo͞o/
Noun:
A thing said or done that serves as a signal to an actor or other performer to enter or to begin their speech or performance.
A long, straight, tapering wooden rod for striking the ball in pool, billiards, snooker, etc.

queue [kyoo]
Noun:
a file or line, especially of people waiting their turn.

Correct.
Thanks. I was typing furiously on my iPad yesterday and the auto correct gets me all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.