Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: SkyMiles DM, American Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Starwood Platinum
Another piece to this...

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Yikes. More expensive than I thought they would be. Cheaper to do a MR if you have the time. I guess that what it comes down to - DL is clearly offering this to those who don't have the time and/or value time more than anything else and find spending $495 to get 5,000 MQMs is better than spending $250 but spending an entire day doing a Mileage Run. I mean, you can easily find east-coast to west-coast trips which will get you 5,000 MQMs for less than the price they're offered 2,500 MQMs for last year.
IIRC, at the same time that this deal came out, they also pushed out fairly discounted European trips that highlighted how close both my wife and I were to the next status level; it prompted us to take a quick trip overseas and to buy enough miles to put her back to gold and keep my PM. If they do both, it becomes a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My Christmas gift would be if DL stopped giving MQM's via car rentals, CC's (yeah I know this one isn't going away), hotel stays, promos, and selling outright. Make elite something earned by flying.
Think about it from DL's perspective. DL knows there are people who will do mileage runs to otherwise get status. DL probably loses money on those MRs. Here, they're giving you the same result without having to fly you from coast to coast. If you're going to get status anyway, DL would rather take $495 straight cash from you than you take a $250 trip where they'll lose money on the fare. You the traveler get the same result (MQMs), and Delta comes out at least $250 ahead of the game and doesn't sell you a fare they'll ultimately lose on.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by yohanson
I don't have a problem with the promos. I've earned all 133K MQMs this year from BIS and rollover - the 250 MQMs I got from my last stay at a HGI.
When you earn MQM's DL is making money in one way, shape or form. I agree with you, I have no problems with the promos. I've earned 750 MQM in the past month from Hilton stays and they were at hotels I didn't even think were participating!

I'm off to LAS and ATL next week and then I'll be about 2000 MQM short with my December travel plans up in the air.

With how crazy my schedule has been this year, if DL wants to sell me those MQM's I'll happily buy them.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JA_AK
IIRC, at the same time that this deal came out, they also pushed out fairly discounted European trips that highlighted how close both my wife and I were to the next status level; it prompted us to take a quick trip overseas and to buy enough miles to put her back to gold and keep my PM. If they do both, it becomes a pretty good deal.
Interesting. Too bad for me I just can't up and go to Europe. I did manage a mileage run to LAX at the end of October though to get 4,600 MQMs and push me over the edge to make GM for 2013. Ticket was about $280 and I paid for EC on the return leg since it was a redeye. I did get upgraded on the 777-200ER though from DTW to LAX, which was great and really made the MR worth it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Yikes. More expensive than I thought they would be. Cheaper to do a MR if you have the time. I guess that what it comes down to - DL is clearly offering this to those who don't have the time and/or value time more than anything else and find spending $495 to get 5,000 MQMs is better than spending $250 but spending an entire day doing a Mileage Run. I mean, you can easily find east-coast to west-coast trips which will get you 5,000 MQMs for less than the price they're offered 2,500 MQMs for last year.
Remember that DL is selling MQMs only. If you fly to earn them, you also earn redeemable miles, depending on your elite status (and fare code of course).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I would love to see them bring back the promo they had in 2010 where you got 15K by giving just $500 to three charities. By buying MQM's you have to pay the tax on top of it. With the Charity promo you not only got to help out three charities, I was able to receive a tax donation and the 15K miles were also RDM (It's my understanding with the promo last year to buy the miles they weren't RDM's and the 1,500 MQM's I received for renewing my SC Membership were only MQM's not RDM's).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that DL is selling MQMs only. If you fly to earn them, you also earn redeemable miles, depending on your elite status (and fare code of course).
MSP how do we vote for you?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: DL GM, UA; National EC
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
MSP how do we vote for you?

I think the voting begins Nov 11, at http://www.flyertalk.com/talkthevote/
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
when you buy MQM's they don't also credit as redeemable miles??? That seems kind of crazy to me, especially considering how easy it is to come upon them in other circumstances, as well as the high price for the MQM's.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That was a huge drawback to the MQM promotion I noticed. You'd think the MQMs would at least include an equal amount of redeemable miles too for as much as you're paying for those MQMs.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Im likely to end up a few thousand short of PM, wouldnt mind a option to buy enough to cover the gap.......
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
I'd like to see them bring back the charity option as well. I'm going to drop from high tier Platinum (105 mqm) to Silver.

Our company has been cashing in frequent flyer miles for tickets to save cash so no BIS miles earned for me or most of my colleagues. After enjoying Platinum for many years it's just plain frustrating. I hope there is a buy option and would love to see it benefit charities. I have a one trip coming up to the west coast and one to south america which will put me near gold...but the key word is 'near.' I don't have the time to work in a MR...I don't think.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would love to see them bring back the promo they had in 2010 where you got 15K by giving just $500 to three charities. By buying MQM's you have to pay the tax on top of it. With the Charity promo you not only got to help out three charities, I was able to receive a tax donation and the 15K miles were also RDM (It's my understanding with the promo last year to buy the miles they weren't RDM's and the 1,500 MQM's I received for renewing my SC Membership were only MQM's not RDM's).
I like the charity option as well.
I forgot about that.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:07 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Buy MQMs

DLCorpGirl posted a few days ago that I would be joining Delta’s ambassador team and this is my first FT post. I’m going to be here monitoring as much as I can and will post updates as we have them. I’d like to jump in to this conversation to say that we know how big of a hit this program is and we’re working on something similar for 2012, but it’s not quite ready. I’ll be back to update you soon and let you know when it’s live.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Welcome, Dwayne, and thanks for the update. Don't be a stranger. We mean well most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.