Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
FYI: my YTD MQMs now reflect the acquisition earlier today.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
What will get people to buy in to this promotion is the time spent in the air and away from home doing the MR. Last I checked airfare JFK-LAX was about $350 and that nets ~5000 miles. Delta is selling 5000 MQM's for $595. The question people will debate is "Is 10 hours in the air worth saving $245?"
$350 for 5K miles is $0.07/mile = expensive. Good mileage runs are $0.04 or less, so 5K at $0.04 is $200. The question is 10 hours in the air worth saving $395? For most people with a life, answer is surely yes. For students or retired people, you might be able justify pissing away 10 hours of your life cooped up in a tin can breathing recirculated air with surly FAs, getting an extra dose of radiation, "enjoy" dirty airports and security lines, and suffer horrible traffic/parking to top off your fun
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:33 pm

The problem I have is that I only need about 650 MQMs to reach Silver (I know, I know, it's not the top of the food chain! Still I flew 24,000+ miles). Why is there no 1000 miles option? *shakes fist*

A mileage run is not an easy option for me so it currently seems my only options are:

1. Do nothing, and assume nothing rolls over to next year

2. Pay $395 from this deal, knowing some MQM will roll over to next year (I am not sure yet whether that will be of any benefit to me)

3. Take up the Delta Club offer with 1500 MQMs, but this is even more expensive and again, I am not sure of my flying expectations next year

Is there any other way to acquire these 650 MQMs I need rather than flying or spending $400+?

Last edited by Enigma; Nov 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma
Is there any other way to acquire these 650 MQMs I need rather than flying or spending $400+?
I think there is a Hilton 250 MQM per night deal. If you can get a cheap rate close to home you could just check in and out a few times and maybe get 750 mqms for under $300.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
I think there is a Hilton 250 MQM per night deal. If you can get a cheap rate close to home you could just check in and out a few times and maybe get 750 mqms for under $300.
Or rent a car with Hertz and go park it in the driveway for a couple days. Probably cheaper than two nights at a hotel.

Other option is looking into a Delta Platinum AmEx. 5000 MQM (so plenty of rollover). Annual fee is around $150.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

* Hilton won't work as I believe it's per 2 nights, and they're not cheap in Australia. The concept of "close to home" never really applies here - there's always travel involved.

* Credit card won't work as I'm not a US resident.

* Not sure what the Hertz deal is (or where it is), so will take a look. EDIT: Involves 3 x 3+ day rentals in the Americas, so definitely not going to be viable.

In short, being in Australia is crippling instead of enhancing my possibilities. lol.

Last edited by Enigma; Nov 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:00 pm

My father was planning on stopping 527 miles short of Gold but is now wondering if he should purchase miles to get Gold as his schedule does not permit any flying beyond what he currently has. Most of his trips are NYC-LAX and NYC-DCA. Debating whether or not to take an international flight to Europe next summer or put it off until 2014
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Wow! Y'all are fast. As promised this year's Buy MQMs promotion information is now available. For the all details visit www.delta.com/buymqms - we know how popular this was last year. The promotion officially starts at 12:00am CST on 11/15/2012. Enjoy!
another bad decision by Delta.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
LOL.

That would be "any decision I don't like is bad"?

Feel free to move on
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by cfischer
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Wow! Y'all are fast. As promised this year's Buy MQMs promotion information is now available. For the all details visit www.delta.com/buymqms - we know how popular this was last year. The promotion officially starts at 12:00am CST on 11/15/2012. Enjoy!
Explain why DL earning money by selling something it cost them $0 to produce is a bad decision from their perspective.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Enigma
Thanks for the suggestions.

* Hilton won't work as I believe it's per 2 nights, and they're not cheap in Australia. The concept of "close to home" never really applies here - there's always travel involved.

* Credit card won't work as I'm not a US resident.

* Not sure what the Hertz deal is (or where it is), so will take a look. EDIT: Involves 3 x 3+ day rentals in the Americas, so definitely not going to be viable.

In short, being in Australia is crippling instead of enhancing my possibilities. lol.
I've applied for and have been approved for many American credit cards.
Where it says Social Security I put in my Canadian number/a random one and >40% of the time it works.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Explain why DL earning money by selling something it cost them $0 to produce is a bad decision from their perspective.
And that is also a convenience vs doing a mileage run.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I can't see in anyway whatsoever, why this is a bad decision. The only people who might beeeattch are the DYKWIA PMs/DMs who don't want the medallion ranks diluting too much. It is good for those who want to squeeze in FO status or for FOs who want to get Gold etc. I think it is excellent for a Gold who wants to get PM as that is still a fairly sweet spot.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
In some cases, what you did makes perfect sense. For example, if you were, say, 10K short of Plat, buying 10K gives you a status boost and a CB, which could be a $200 voucher. Now it doesn't look so expensive, in fact less that I have been paying to fly 10K.

This is definitely a YMMV thing so if it works for you, go for it.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And if it gets you from PM to Diamond and you are a skyclub member, the free skyclub membership saves you $300 a year, plus the additional choice gift is worth $200 so that brings the cost down to $495. When you factor in what you pay for gas and parking for a mileage run.... Or factor in the additional upgrades you will get by advancing a tier, it pays sometimes.
Be careful about the logic here. If the choice is between buying miles versus doing a MR, either way to get status gets you the same choice benefits (such as the $200 voucher) or SC membership at DM. This stuff helps in deciding whether to attempt to obtain the status, but not for the choice between buying miles and doing a MR.

Also, for many people, having rollover is likely to be worth something, so buying the full 10,000 MQMs when fewer are needed for next year's status can make sense, especially since DL is pricing miles so that the cost per mile is lowest when 10,000 are purchased.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:11 pm

MQM sale

They did
https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchasemqms/buy/landing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.