Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
So now that you know this, perhaps purchase the ticket in coach to get the accurate cost and receipt for your billing purposes and then cancel it followed by purchasing the FC ticket at the more economical price.
Please reread my post. That is precisely what I said I did.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Please reread my post. That is precisely what I said I did.
Must have overlooked that - just trying to help.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Couple days away ATL->LGA and back... 324 dollars. And then today got upgrade to FC on Sunday return already. 324 is 75% of the price of first when I booked Main Cabin 3 months ago.

I think once you are PM/DM the 'deals' are just gone.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
UG a few days away is about 50 bucks from the lowest price FC ticket. FC cabins seem about half full. Stupid pricing, would cost me more than the using the change fee and getting a re-issue.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by monitor
^ I'm not surprised. However, come "season," there is almost no prayer of the UG from PBI. At that time of year there is some chance from MIA and FLL, depending on the day of the week.
I do Miami quarterly. I always fly into FLL because I've never received an upgrade. My colleagues fly into MIA and seldom get an upgrade.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, would you be OK with a grocery store putting a product on display near the checkout for $5.00 when the same product is available on aisle 5 for $2.50?

I am not suggesting that anything here is illegal... merely that it is devious and dismissive of the importance to the business of being perceived to deal with the customer in a forthright manner.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's illegal and I'm confident if a grocery store did that a state attorney general would sue.

Where I live, we used to require grocery stores to mark every item with a price tag. The problem is items were routinely mismarked (so the grocery stores claimed) from what the signage stated. The law said they had to honor the lower price.

I'm a free marketeer but Delta and the other airlines because of consolidation straddle a fine line, in my opinion. The first-class monetization and other airfare pricing practices are so opaque that we have no idea how Delta and the other airlines are determining the cost. I have no idea if my neighbor gets the same airfare prices for the same cities on the same dates as I do. That's potentially concerning. Imagine if a grocery store sold the exact same brand and carton of milk at different prices, based on opaque factors.

I remember a few years ago Jos. A. Bank was sued by a state attorney general because they were claiming merchandise was on "sale" when the merchandise was never sold at regular price. That's an unfair and illegal pricing practice.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
...I remember a few years ago Jos. A. Bank was sued by a state attorney general because they were claiming merchandise was on "sale" when the merchandise was never sold at regular price. That's an unfair and illegal pricing practice.
MYPillow lost their BBB accreditation for similar reasons:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/96160874/
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
MYPillow lost their BBB accreditation for similar reasons:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/96160874/
BBB is mostly a scam though. They extort money out of those in the system and having dealt with them at a job they will 'sell' removal of bad ads. And threaten to leave them up if you don't.

OR... Join the BBB and you can reply and fix the bad reviews. You have to PAY money to be able to accept bad reviews and potential fix them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
BBB is mostly a scam though.
You could say that about many trade, industry, consumer and non-profit groups. Those who run the groups make a lot of money, some do a good job and provide real service but many exist out to self-perpetuate themselves. The same is for many political groups and PACs. Just do a Google search for "scam PAC."

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 21, 2017 at 8:22 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You could say that about made trade, industry, consumer and non-profit groups. Those who run the groups make a lot of money, some do a good job and provide real service but many exist out to self-perpetuate themselves. The same is for many political groups and PACs. Just do a Google search for "scam PAC."
Agree 100%.

In this case though selling 'fixing' of bad reviews isn't friendly to consumers who they claim to protect.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Booked Y, RIC to BOS on E170, and the App is offering an upgrade to Comfort for $31.17. Odd sort of pricing. Upgrade to RIC via JFK cleared at T-72 hrs. Glad I've got all of my drink e-certs
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
SFO-NAS. Upgraded to F for ~150. No brainer
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
RT or one way?

I guess this is via ATL but don't forget that if you want you can likely SDC this to open seat via JFK if you wanted the flat bed.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:02 pm

Is there ever a FCM offer on award flights in coach?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Wow, very good deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.