Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I scored a handful of UGs on that redeye segment as GM/PM but all were at least 5 years ago ... I also scored a couple of nice VDBs into F on the ATL flight (I was headed to WAS so the connecting point didn’t matter)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by af fp
I am booked in paid C+ on a weekday SLC JFK redeye, waitlisted for first but slim chance since I have very low status for DL. Still for now one out of twenty FC seats is booked, with five weeks to go until the flight. Upgrade is offered for $300, but I value this at 150, it is just a FC seat on a 738. What would you do? Nothing and be happy in C+? Pay $300? Expect this price to come down? Anyone has experienced upgrades on this flight? Thanks!
Do you have a credit card that offers $150 or $200 toward airline fees every year? I've read that first-class upgrade charges can be covered depending on how the credit card company codes the purchase from the airline.

I don't think paying $300 for a relatively short Salt Lake City-New York flight is worth it, especially when it isn't lie-flat seats. I'd eat a nice meal at the airport, drink a couple glasses of wine, bring a pillow and eye-mask, and sit in a window seat.
af fp likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
$96 upgrade offer for DTW-EWR.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

$95 for DCA-DTW.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
$138 for SLC-IAD. I'm thinking about taking it since there are only 3 F seats left and I'd be the last DM on the upgrade list (award ticket).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
$138 for SLC-IAD. I'm thinking about taking it since there are only 3 F seats left and I'd be the last DM on the upgrade list (award ticket).
given that it's an award ticket ... if I had a C+ seat that I liked, and had no need for SDC flexibility or a few extra MQD, I wouldn't bite on that one
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
A good example of the offers I typically see. $326 for ATL-IAD? Does anyone actually take this buy-up?

Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Glad I held out for a while on an FCM offer but it did offer an interesting data point. I have SEA-DTW-SEA over New Years. At booking initial offer was $207 or so each way, then went up as high as $300 each way, and I was kicking myself a bit for not jumping on it at $207 but then today it dropped to $136 each way. Happy with that one. What I was concerned about and where the interesting data point comes in is for the return I’m traveling with Mrs. ATOBTTR but she is on a separate ticket. I pulled up her reservation to see if she had the same buy up offer. She did.. I decided to buy her’s first just in case there was only one buy-up being offered at $136 because I knew I’d be in big trouble if I bought up for myself first and then the offer for her jumped to a price I wasn’t willing to pay. Fortunately the $136 offer was still available after I paid for her buy-up offer.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:01 am

DTW-NRT Delta One Suites

Sorry if this was asked already. Has anyone gotten an offer for the new Delta One Suites on the A350 DTW-NRT?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM
FCM - What would you do??

FO + Companion on LAX-DTW red-eye new years eve, award ticket. $78 FCM offer for first class, per person. Seat map below.

If this was a paid fare, I'd jump at the offer for the MQM bonus. However, it's not, so I'm leaning toward waiting it out to see if the upgrade clears. So...what would you do - spend $175 to guarantee first or wait it out and see if you get it for free?

Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
on a redeye I would absolutely pay that
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoelThomas

FO + Companion on LAX-DTW red-eye new years eve, award ticket. $78 FCM offer for first class, per person. Seat map below.

If this was a paid fare, I'd jump at the offer for the MQM bonus. However, it's not, so I'm leaning toward waiting it out to see if the upgrade clears. So...what would you do - spend $175 to guarantee first or wait it out and see if you get it for free?
I would take that in a heartbeat, esp on a redeye
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

$78 for a 4+ hour redeye? Well below the $1/minute threshold. And you are hoping to get 2 for free as an FO? Not worth the risk.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

You would be wise to take that offer. I would.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium

Even I would take that offer. See my post above. Most of the time my offers are around $250 for an hour and a half domestic leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.