Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I booked a ticket DCA-JFK-LAS-SLC-DCA for mid-January. $418.00 RT in U class; $618.00, out in U, back in A. $200 each way is what I would pay for an F upgrade, so I took the $618.00 deal. The FCM upgrade JFK-LAS is $901.87 OW. I might try an RUC on this run; otherwise, I'll be content with C+.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
ATL-SDQ on Friday, no upgrades 5-days out, FCM for $432. 3 seats available, so most likely will clear at the gate since I don't see anyone paying that much for a 2.5 hour flight.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
$106 one way MIA-LGA from either main cabin or C+.....on 12/28....thoughts? Also DL.com was charging almost $200 more for coach than The DL app. Anyone ever seen that?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by G-man82
Yup, it’s the LAX-ATL leg. I wouldn’t do it if it was regular first class seats. D1 has me considering.

fwiw I paid $195 FCM one way for PHL-SLC in a lie flat seat. $454 is very steep IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If you want to sit up front take it, no brainer. I flew that route two weeks ago as a diamond on an RU certificate waitlist and still ended up in the back of the bus . If delta is selling upgrades that cheap it's no wonder the RUC didn't clear
I did take that FCM offer, but I was convinced the offer was so low because it was the red-eye over New Years Eve. A dummy booking shows 7/20 FC seats open and 19/29 C+ seats open four days beforehand.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
$106 one way MIA-LGA from either main cabin or C+.....on 12/28....thoughts? Also DL.com was charging almost $200 more for coach than The DL app. Anyone ever seen that?
As a FO I'd be all over this as I rarely see upgrades on flights that aren't sub 500 mile Connection flights. You're Gold though so your upgrade chances are obviously better. Still, I'd consider it a $100 investment in a 2.5 hour better flight.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had a $123 offer for my DEN-ATL red-eye tonight on a 764 a few days ago but choose not to bite on it as there where still 23 seats left after the 5 day UG window and I ended up clearing at the GM window.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CMK10
As a FO I'd be all over this as I rarely see upgrades on flights that aren't sub 500 mile Connection flights. You're Gold though so your upgrade chances are obviously better. Still, I'd consider it a $100 investment in a 2.5 hour better flight.
i took it (was actually $99 plus taxes) because it was down to 4 FC but now two more seats opened up so I prob would have cleared but $100 isn’t a big deal for me. Plus it’s a dinner flight an I got a single window seat on an E175.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
I've been watching LGA>STL drop from 108, to 98, to 90 today.....getting close to the pull the trigger point.
And now that we've flown the outbound the offer for LGA>STL has disappeared. Still 7 empties, but they won't let me buy up.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Has anyone received a buy up offer to D1 from a TATL economy award? The D1 award price never dropped to a reasonable rate (stayed at 225k miles for a 9 hour flight), despite there being 27 open seats according to the upgrade list. I've got an exit row anyways so I'll be fine either way, but I would be tempted to spend a few hundred if they gave me an offer to buy up.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Odd difference, I fly ATL-CLT once a month or so, my FC buy up for trip in 17 days is $63, just booked another 31 days out and it was $118. Basically same main cabin price, within $5. Using this is a data point for myself to see if prices drop closer to departure. Last year I had just bought first when I flew, experimenting a bit this year. (Also curious if FO could get upgrade out of fortress AA in CLT).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MountainGuy
(Also curious if FO could get upgrade out of fortress AA in CLT).
In a handful of efforts, I've been successful as a FO and GM on CLT-MSP/DTW routes, but not CLT-ATL/SLC. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Odd difference, I fly ATL-CLT once a month or so, my FC buy up for trip in 17 days is $63, just booked another 31 days out and it was $118. Basically same main cabin price, within $5. Using this is a data point for myself to see if prices drop closer to departure. Last year I had just bought first when I flew, experimenting a bit this year. (Also curious if FO could get upgrade out of fortress AA in CLT).
If you roll the dice and risk the seats not being filled up in theory the price should go down...
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
If you roll the dice and risk the seats not being filled up in theory the price should go down...
In theory yes, we'll see. I would have just WFBF from the beginning, but I'm curious for FO works in this limited example. Going to be doing this 9 more times this year, so trying to get an idea about how it works. Plan on getting up to PM by end of year, so will be nice to see differences. Terribly nerdy perhaps, but points and upgrades are starting to become a thing
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
ATL is very elite heavy and my success rate on flights into or out of ATL as a diamond are only about 60 percent (I was number six on the upgrade list as a DM from ATL to CHS recently and at least 10 people in coach boarded with PREM) so I wouldn't plan on getting an upgrade as an FO out of ATL.

I would never pay $63 for that short of a flight. If they don't do a PDM on the flight you'll be lucky to get two drinks in the air, I'd rather spend that money on a nice dinner.

I've never flown ATL/CLT but missed an upgrade last year one direction on a trip to CLT from DTW as a diamond.
MountainGuy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.