Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
So why not just buy first to start with?

Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
I literally think the upgrade price - is the price of the ticket subtracted from the published discounted FC price currently on Delta.com.. give or take a few bucks.. The higher the coach ticket price, the closer the spread between published coach and discounted fc, the lower the FCM rate..

I've used it 6 or 7 times in the last 60 days.. Love it..
As an example, I bought SAN-PEK rt coach ticket a month ago for $422. The upgrade price on Delta's website or the app is about $1890 each way, which about the same price had I just bought biz-class originally.

The upgrade prices that AlwaysAA sees are what I see: Original Coach fare plus upgrade price each way equals current first class price. I can't see much attraction in these high upgrade prices unless AlwaysAA and others are not allowed to buy premium class outright by their employer.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:54 pm Reason: Wrong destination: PEK, not HKG
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
BTW - Super confused - How are they also selling JFK->LAX Delta First seats for $650. I thought I had hit the lottery.
I think that has to do with competing with JetBlue Mint.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
When were you ever able to snag the direct to BRU for $550, or are you connecting from somewhere else?
Connecting from GSO. There was a brief fare sale about a month ago and I had a couple of Delta bump certs I needed to use up. Wasn't offered out of RDU but GSO is an easy drive from Durham.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
BTW - Super confused - How are they also selling JFK->LAX Delta First seats for $650. I thought I had hit the lottery.
For what dates? I've typically paid $3K+ for D1 on this route (which I fly frequently), and have even paid more in coach on some occassions!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by acrophobia
For what dates? I've typically paid $3K+ for D1 on this route (which I fly frequently), and have even paid more in coach on some occassions!
How close to departure? And OW or RT?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
More of an effect of FCM probably and it caught me off guard. Today 3371 IAD-JFK, I’m 1 of 2 for 5 open. Departs in less than an hour. Still hasn’t processed at the gate.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by tvtd
More of an effect of FCM probably and it caught me off guard. Today 3371 IAD-JFK, I’m 1 of 2 for 5 open. Departs in less than an hour. Still hasn’t processed at the gate.
Wow, I'm guessing DL isn't that popular out of IAD, I have been flying out of BWI, might have to reconsider that...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Booked JAX-ATL-RDU today:

- L Fare: $211
- W Fare: $230
- A Fare: $306

I just booked the L Fare which will be fine for the short trip. After booking they want an extra $256 for F. Guess it got super more valuable in that two minute time period.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Booked JAX-ATL-RDU today:

- L Fare: $211
- W Fare: $230
- A Fare: $306

I just booked the L Fare which will be fine for the short trip. After booking they want an extra $256 for F. Guess it got super more valuable in that two minute time period.
Was L still available after you booked? It's possible the A fare had an underlying L fare, and when you bought it that sold out which only left more expensive A fares or P fares.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I bought the FCM "upgrade" DCA-CVG-SEA for $266.00 on 9/21/17. This turned out to be an exceptional operational performance by both GoJet and the Big D, as we got to CVG 20 minutes early and to SEA 30 minutes early.

On the way back, SEA-JFK-DCA, I got upgraded JFK-DCA about 4 days out; Delta offered me 5 hours up front in a flat bed seat (757) for $337.00. I passed. I was #2 for 5 open seats 3 hours out; 60 minutes later, I was #3 for 1 open seat, and an hour after that it was gone. Also, the flight went from 60 open seats in the back to 0.

Also, whenever I miss an upgrade like this, Delta always (and I mean always) puts a very large man in the middle seat.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I was on the reservation page, pricing a FC seat.

Had made my flight selections (4 segments). Only needed to click the last button to finalize the purchase.

Total price ~$1100.00 RT.

Midway down the page DL's crackerjack IT was offering me the opportunity to purchase up to FC for $550.00 per segment.

So, the web site had offered me a FC itinerary for $1100.00 RT and was now offering me the opportunity to UG my FC ticket to a FC ticket for an additional cost of only $2200.00.

Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
FCM is still $95 for LGA-ORD midday this Monday (4 seats still available and no UPG)....used to be $50 when in C+...no thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I was on the reservation page, pricing a FC seat.

Had made my flight selections (4 segments). Only needed to click the last button to finalize the purchase.

Total price ~$1100.00 RT.

Midway down the page DL's crackerjack IT was offering me the opportunity to purchase up to FC for $550.00 per segment.

So, the web site had offered me a FC itinerary for $1100.00 RT and was now offering me the opportunity to UG my FC ticket to a FC ticket for an additional cost of only $2200.00.

I think the offer was "Upgrade to REFUNDABLE First"
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have only recently started reading Gary Leff's blog, but I am enjoying it:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....grades-stupid/
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
It's a hard search term, but if you take an FCM offer do you always get 100% bonus MQM? I've been booking GAP fares direct this year mostly and am used to the 50% bonus MQM with them. Yesterday I flew ORD>LGA and last week I took the $98 FCM offer when it became apparent I might need to take a later flight via SDC (which I did). It rebooked me in G but when my SM posted, it gave me 100% bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.