Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Credit for C+ Purchase after FCM

For some reason I was under the impression that you forfeit the dollars you pay for C+ if you take an FCM offer. Much to my surprise, my flight from yesterday posted with amounts for both the A fare as well as the $29 I originally paid for C+. As such, I will hit PM this week rather than my next trip in a couple of weeks!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, you forfeit it in terms of not getting it back as a refund or e-credit. You paid it and took the flight, so you should get the MQDs for it.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by mot29
A few new data points
DCA-MSY 10/1-10/3. Purchased coach for $272 all in -- have EC aisle seating on relatively short flights.
At time of purchase offered upgrade for $325 total. Three days later upgrade is $392, two more days pass and now it is $475.
Another data point:

Just booked MCO-MDW-MCO for next Tuesday/Thursday. Paid $613 for S and T fares. Unusual for me to pay this much but I usual buy 3-6 weeks out, not 6 days.

FCM was $380 during booking. 30 seconds after purchase the FCM went to $581.

When does the DM UG window open for a flight next Tuesday? Today at 5 PM or tomorrow at 5 PM?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Another data point:

Just booked MCO-MDW-MCO for next Tuesday/Thursday. Paid $613 for S and T fares. Unusual for me to pay this much but I usual buy 3-6 weeks out, not 6 days.

FCM was $380 during booking. 30 seconds after purchase the FCM went to $581.

When does the DM UG window open for a flight next Tuesday? Today at 5 PM or tomorrow at 5 PM?
I got an upgrade notification yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:03pm MST for a flight next Monday. They say the window is 5 days out, but to me it always seems like 6 days.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste
I got an upgrade notification yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:03pm MST for a flight next Monday. They say the window is 5 days out, but to me it always seems like 6 days.
The upgrade sweeps are done at 5pm ET, and the windows open at 6 days out for DM/PM, 4 days out for GM, and 2 days out for FO. Generally, the sweeps take 15 minutes or so, and emails come about an hour later (which would make the 4:03 MDT / 6:03 EDT email that you received). I suppose DL just finds it easier to say 5/3/1 days and do the sweeps the night before to avoid time ambiguity by doing it at the exact time.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Yes it appears buy ups are more in line with paying a real F price lately. My flight in two weeks has offer that fluctuates between 350 and 450. Being a CRJ7 I would never take that offer even though it comes in line with that moronic $1 a minute rule.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Yes it appears buy ups are more in line with paying a real F price lately. My flight in two weeks has offer that fluctuates between 350 and 450. Being a CRJ7 I would never take that offer even though it comes in line with that moronic $1 a minute rule.
What flight do you have on a CRJ7 that's 6+ hours long?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Howste
What flight do you have on a CRJ7 that's 6+ hours long?
If buy-up is for round trip, and round trip is 350-450 minutes that would equate to about 200 minutes each way, or 3 to 3.5 hours each way, which is not uncommon for a CRJ-700/900. You can factor in connections too, and you could get four 1 to 1.5 hour flights, which would still equal about 400 min int total flying.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
The upgrade sweeps are done at 5pm ET, and the windows open at 6 days out for DM/PM, 4 days out for GM, and 2 days out for FO. Generally, the sweeps take 15 minutes or so, and emails come about an hour later (which would make the 4:03 MDT / 6:03 EDT email that you received). I suppose DL just finds it easier to say 5/3/1 days and do the sweeps the night before to avoid time ambiguity by doing it at the exact time.
Agreed. Got my UG notice yesterday (Wednesday) at 5:58 PM EDT for a flight next Tuesday.

If Monday is Day 1 and Thursday is Day 5 one could say that the window opens 5 days and 7 hours before the day of the flight...

Glad I did not splurge on that $600 UG... I will be looking for the reurn UGs tomorrow at 5:00 PM...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If buy-up is for round trip, and round trip is 350-450 minutes that would equate to about 200 minutes each way, or 3 to 3.5 hours each way, which is not uncommon for a CRJ-700/900. You can factor in connections too, and you could get four 1 to 1.5 hour flights, which would still equal about 400 min int total flying.
That is correct. It is 3+ hours each way and a non-stop, the buy-up is round trip. C+ actually isn't bad on the CRJ7, especially bulkhead 4A. The only thing I don't like being the 1 seat in front is you complete for under seat storage with 4B.

At least it is not a CRJ2.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MillionMiler, HH Silver
FCM Offer on a reservation with a Meeting Promotional Code?

Has anyone received FCM offers on tickets booked via the Delta website, but with a Meeting "Promotional Code" used to purchase the ticket? Thank you.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Whenever one clicks on my itineraries, there should always be a button next to each itinerary saying "Upgrade for $XXX", unless no more seats are available, there should always be a price until the plane leaves.

This would be very useful to folks that have to travel on economy tickets for business who may be willing to pay out of their pocket for a higher fare without the paperwork. It is also useful for flights where one is willing to pay for business only one-way because of the circumstance (e.g., late arrival, need to finish some work).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:24 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by mondo
Whenever one clicks on my itineraries, there should always be a button next to each itinerary saying "Upgrade for $XXX", unless no more seats are available, there should always be a price until the plane leaves.
Not sure this is the case for those of us with European addresses and/or who book itineraries using a European based travel center (even on 006 stock).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Not sure this is the case for those of us with European addresses and/or who book itineraries using a European based travel center (even on 006 stock).
"should be". Why not allow a purchased upgrade for anybody if seats are available? (It's just that it would cost a lot more for tatl.)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:15 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by sethb
"should be". Why not allow a purchased upgrade for anybody if seats are available? (It's just that it would cost a lot more for tatl.)
Well, it's definitely NOT available for transatlantic. The few itineraries we had this summer; the option was not offered. We have very few 100% US Domestic flights. I made a point of looking for it. Could I be mistaken, of course. But I do not believe the option was there. I seem to recall the same on other (US Domestic) itineraries in the last year (or so). But, like I said, we have very few situations like this; so I can't say with 100% certainty the option was not there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.