Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Anyone figure a way to redeem the points to purchase Disney World tickets? I was originally planning at staying at the Swan and Dolphin using SPG points and then charging theme park tickets to my room. Now, we are staying at a condo so that option is out. I have points from both the Barlclay Arrival card as well as the Capital One Venture. I also talked to the Hilton LBV and the Swan ticket kiosk and they both said they would not code as travel and instead as a ticket purchase/entertainment.

Any bright ideas?
Yes. I did it through Undercover Tourist w/ the Barclay card. No problem. I bought a child parkhopper for Disneyworld and then later ordered a Universal Studios ticket. I was able to get reimbursed as travel for both.

Has anyone had success with DisneyLAND tickets through an online source?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by jodawg
Yes. I did it through Undercover Tourist w/ the Barclay card. No problem. I bought a child parkhopper for Disneyworld and then later ordered a Universal Studios ticket. I was able to get reimbursed as travel for both.

Has anyone had success with DisneyLAND tickets through an online source?
Awesome - thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully someone here can help you out with the left coast answer. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Great benefit comes when MS-ing

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Excuse my ignore but why is everyone giving so much importance to this card? Everywhere I see people are applying for this card. Blogs are suggesting to get it (maybe they get a good commission on this). But even on FT a lot of people are seeking and suggesting this card.

What is so good about it? Isn't Amex Blue and Wells Fargo better than this? Ok I understand WF gives sh***y limits and it has a 6 months period but still there are other cards. Everyone agrees UR points are worth at least 2 cents so why not try focusing on UR cards like Ink, CSP, Freedom etc.
By combining the Arrival card with your UR cards (or AMEX CCs or whatever), you can greatly minimize your spend to almost zero when traveling.

Before you sign up for any card, you should consider your goals for the year. Why do it if you do not plan to travel much?

But if you are a traveler as most here are, then you will churn this card along with your others in your manufactured spend ad-infinitum and love every step of the way to your next awesome holiday.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Hmm that's interesting. I definitely never saw an extra pull on my credit report after doing a limit increase. But glad that you confirmed and was able to get a higher limit.
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
yeah, that's what I thought.
every time I wanted CL increase they wanted to do a hard pull.

Other banks, not Barclays.

I have to skip for now.
Originally Posted by trikotret
I applied for this card and got 10k credit line. the next day I called and asked for a limit increase. they asked what want to try. I said 25k and they said they have to do a hard pull. I agreed to hard pull and got my 25k limit. I checked my credit report and only 1 hard pull shows not two
Yes that's what I noticed too. I didn't have a second hard pull. I would suggest that you check your report and see. I use Credit Karma which pulls Transunion and I didn't see 2 Barclay on my report after the increase. Maybe it's just standard that they warn you ahead of time esp since it would be a hard pull in typical cases past 30 days.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:59 pm

So, what's the scoop on how long to wait in between barclay apps? I got the US air card (my first barclaycard) a little over a month ago, and I would now like to pick up the arrival before it jumps to $3k spend. From what I've read you need to wait 6 months from your first barclaycard app. Is this true? ~740 credit score, ~6 apps in last 6 months.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by llbad
So, what's the scoop on how long to wait in between barclay apps? I got the US air card (my first barclaycard) a little over a month ago, and I would now like to pick up the arrival before it jumps to $3k spend. From what I've read you need to wait 6 months from your first barclaycard app. Is this true? ~740 credit score, ~6 apps in last 6 months.
I got my first in Apr (Sallie Mae) and second in Aug (barclay). They did ask me why I opened another acct after opening 2 in Apr (Us Bank as well). I answered the questions and the acct was opened.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
My take here: Barclays is strict.

How long should I keep my US Airways card (opened in Dec) open before I offer to close it in exchange for the Arrival? I don't want to lose my 40k bonus US miles. The US MC is 2 months old effective 18Feb.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I've successfully opened an Arrival card three weeks after a US Air card. It took a call to recon and me splitting the credit line, but it worked.

I also mentioned that I was worried about the merger affecting the US Air card and that I wouldn't have opened it if I'd known.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
I've successfully opened an Arrival card three weeks after a US Air card. It took a call to recon and me splitting the credit line, but it worked.

I also mentioned that I was worried about the merger affecting the US Air card and that I wouldn't have opened it if I'd known.
This is great news. I'll probably wait till the 60-day mark and then try - I'll report back.

EDIT: was the US air your first card with barclay?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LoneTree

This is great news. I'll probably wait till the 60-day mark and then try - I'll report back.

EDIT: was the US air your first card with barclay?
Yes, that was my first Barclay card.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

I applied for Arrival and US Airways (in that order) on the same day. The US Airways went to pending, I called reconsideration, and they approved it, no questions asked. These were my first Barclaycards with only one hard pull in the proceeding 6 months. TU FICO: 806.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:31 pm

Just a heads up that the min spend is increasing from $1,000 to $3,000 on the Arrival card soon, no set date announced from Barclays though.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
has anyone successfully churned this card for multiple bonuses?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

I have exact dates at home but I had 2 open US Air cards and got the Arrival and Wyndham Cards within the last ~8 weeks.

I got 4 Barclay cards in the past 12 months, 2 in the last ~ 60 days
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by WellTraveledMile
Just a heads up that the min spend is increasing from $1,000 to $3,000 on the Arrival card soon, no set date announced from Barclays though.
Where did you hear this information? This card is on my radar and $1000 in spending is easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.