Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:38 pm

SW CP

Am I right in thinking that a great way to use these points is in conjunction with a Southwest Companion Pass? Rapid Rewads Points are worth exactly 1.66 CPM. This is worth 2.2 and becomes 4.4! Am I wrong?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by opus2002
Two months ago, I got my 2nd Barclays US Airways credit card. How long do I have wait between applications?
I think most of us wait 91+ days between most applications.YMMV but that is what I have done with my cards/churns...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by waylook
Am I right in thinking that a great way to use these points is in conjunction with a Southwest Companion Pass? Rapid Rewads Points are worth exactly 1.66 CPM. This is worth 2.2 and becomes 4.4! Am I wrong?
Well, unless you otherwise couldn't fly at all, having the companion pass doesn't change the value of the points. You get the free companion ticket whether you pay with points or cash.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:52 am

Yes, but wouldn't it be more worthwhile to use points earned on this card as opposed to the SW card or the ink cards? Say I'm able to do 6K of non-category spending. On the SW or ink cards, that comes out to $100, or approx $200 worth of flights with the CP. $6K of spending on the Arrival card gets you approx $264 of flights with the CP - about 32% more!

Is this correct?

Originally Posted by flyBernoulli
Well, unless you otherwise couldn't fly at all, having the companion pass doesn't change the value of the points. You get the free companion ticket whether you pay with points or cash.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Yes, but wouldn't it be more worthwhile to use points earned on this card as opposed to the SW card or the ink cards? Say I'm able to do 6K of non-category spending. On the SW or ink cards, that comes out to $100, or approx $200 worth of flights with the CP. $6K of spending on the Arrival card gets you approx $264 of flights with the CP - about 32% more!

Is this correct?
Sure - unless you're spending on bonus categories on the Ink card, in which case the Ink is much better. The southwest cards aren't that great for putting spending on.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Arrival Card is best card for non category bonus spending

Is this correct?
Yes, arrival card is better for non category bonus spending. The only card that compares is SPG AMEX. Would you rather have 1 SPG point or 2.2% travel cash. With SPG properties becoming more expensive, Barclays Arrival may seem like a better choice. I would argue it is better than SPG unless you hold SPG Platinum status.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Of course when I got this card last fall it had a 10,000 point bonus and only a $250 limit!!!

JudyJFLA
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyBernoulli
Sure - unless you're spending on bonus categories on the Ink card, in which case the Ink is much better. The southwest cards aren't that great for putting spending on.
The WN card is on my list for an eventual AOR when the bonus for Premiere is 50k. I'll then keep it in the drawer for the AF which I'll swallow for the RR points.

Originally Posted by romsdeals3
Yes, arrival card is better for non category bonus spending. The only card that compares is SPG AMEX. Would you rather have 1 SPG point or 2.2% travel cash. With SPG properties becoming more expensive, Barclays Arrival may seem like a better choice. I would argue it is better than SPG unless you hold SPG Platinum status.
If you only use it for non-category spending it's going to take a lot longer to get anything worthwhile that is redeemable. Especially if you have Ink, Freedom and CSP, you'd have almost all categories covered.

Everything I read values an UR point at $.02 (which seems very fair), so really you're only losing out on $.002 per dollar, that's not counting the 7% dividend at the end of the year or CSP which is guaranteed, if you don't redeem the Arrival points for travel, you don't get 10%. I'll happily give up that ~$.002 for having more points in a program I can redeem in more frequently for a very similar value.

That being said, this card is high on my list for my next AOR, if Barclays will let me have it.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 12, 2013 at 11:51 pm
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
The WN card is on my list for an eventual AOR when the bonus for Premiere is 50k. I'll then keep it in the drawer for the AF which I'll swallow for the RR points.

If you only use it for non-category spending it's going to take a lot longer to get anything worthwhile that is redeemable. Especially if you have Ink, Freedom and CSP, you'd have almost all categories covered.

Everything I read values an UR point at $.02 (which seems very fair), so really you're only losing out on $.002 per dollar, that's not counting the 7% dividend at the end of the year or CSP which is guaranteed, if you don't redeem the Arrival points for travel, you don't get 10%. I'll happily give up that ~$.002 for having more points in a program I can redeem in more frequently for a very similar value.

That being said, this card is high on my list for my next AOR, if Barclays will let me have it.
UR points are better for premium travel and Barclay is better for economy travel and independent hotels.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by romsdeals3
UR points are better for premium travel and Barclay is better for economy travel and independent hotels.
I'll give you that, but that still doesn't address the point of only using this for non-category spend making it take forever to get anything worthwhile for a redemption. If you have the three Chase cards I've talked about, non-category bonus spending is going to be very minimal compared to everything else since you have so many categories covered.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Which is why I don't see this card as being worth much outside of the bonus. I would rather have 2% cash from fido which I can use at any point and for anything than an extra 0.002 that I have to use on travel within 90 days when ill likely get a better return on travel purchases using CSP.

There seems to be two schools of thought, 1) concentrate rewards in one or two programs or 2) maximize the reward for every swipe, regardless of the program. I am more in camp #1 (although any pure cash back card (fido, bcp) I consider one program). Yes, I might not maximize my spend yield but Ill be closer to an award I prefer.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Planning to get this card in wife's next AOR, specifically for train travel in Europe in November. If you like getting away from big cities and any kind of road trips or unplanned travel, I see it as a great addition. Not a primary card for everyday use, though.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:27 am

are points from this card transferrable? could I transfer points to my skymiles acct?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:06 am

I just got this card,and I don't understand how to redeem the points..... Do I book travel using the points? Or do I pay for travel,which gets refunded? Can they be transferred into another program to be used? Where would I find this info? all help is appreciated....
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hsmama
I just got this card,and I don't understand how to redeem the points..... Do I book travel using the points? Or do I pay for travel,which gets refunded? Can they be transferred into another program to be used? Where would I find this info? all help is appreciated....
You really should do research into a program before you apply...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.