Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Wait, what? I thought JCB/UnionPay didn't need to be manually enabled. And at least UnionPay tells its cardholders online that if they have credit cards, then any merchant bearing the Discover logo will accept their card as long as a PIN waiver is in effect (UnionPay normally requires authentication by online PIN, which proved to be a problem at merchants without PIN pads).
That was my understanding as well, but there are configuration issues - remember Dairy Queen? "Invalid account number length" or some such thing.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75
How did you set this up?

I actually ended up getting this card, and, when I try to add this as a 'Payment Method' in Google Wallet, after merely entering the first two numbers on the card (35xxx...) it detects that it's JCB (graphic of the logo appears), but, also at the same time displays the message:

'Cannot use this card type for this purchase'

Funny thing is, right in the 'Google wallet help, it actually says they support JCB:

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/105916

Go figure.
Weird. They might have changed something, but it's still in my wallet on the website. Doesn't work on the smartphone.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by alexmt
That was my understanding as well, but there are configuration issues - remember Dairy Queen? "Invalid account number length" or some such thing.
Yeah, the claim is that it works at all the merchants that take Discover. The reality is that it works at a subset of the places that take Discover and JCB.

I had a merchant in San Francisco that takes JCB not be able to take my card last time I visited. And despite the fact that my cafe at work takes my regular Discover card, their system won't take the JCB.

I've been able to sometimes get very knowledgeable clerks override it and run through Discover anyway when that happens, but it's quite rare.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by billatq
Yeah, the claim is that it works at all the merchants that take Discover. The reality is that it works at a subset of the places that take Discover and JCB.
Reciprocal is true when trying to use the Discover card in Japan. The claim is that Discover cards can be used in places where they accept JCB.

The reality is good luck in convincing any of the onsen hot springs hotels in Tamatsukuri-onsen, near Izumo in Shimane Prefecture (a place where they see very few foreigners) know anything about the minute intricacies of the JCB-Discover partnership deal. You get a hard time trying to convince them in fluent Japanese that they can process this Discover card over the JCB network, I'd imagine it'd be next to impossible to do that when you can't speak a word of Japanese.

In the context of things, just stick with VISA, MC, and to a lesser extent, AMEX. The Discover-JCB-Union Pay-Diners Club thing is too confusing to be a true "international" network.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I've decided to add a cash back card to my repertoire, and this one has me intrigued, both for the 3% and for the potential discounts at Marukai/Mitsuwa/Sanseido etc. I notice that it's accepted at Target and 7-11, as well as Amazon, which are good signs. Has anyone tried at CVS? Please let us know if you've been successful! Thanks for your feedback.

ETA: (Also, does anyone else find it ironic that this card has a foreign transaction fee? Guess I won't be using it during my next trip to Japan!)

Last edited by kirax2; Aug 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
[deleted]

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
There is a 1.1% foreign transaction fee, but JCB was never part of the VISA, MC, AMEX FTF class action litigation so it's likely that the FTF is still hidden within the charge.

JCB cardholder base in the US is very low to begin with, likely even lower than Diners Club, that no one bothered to add JCB to the FTF litigation, and from majority of JCBUSA cardholders' base, probably doesn't care that much about FTFs to begin with.
I know, it says on their site that they have a 1.1% FTF. I just find it ironic that a card targeting ex-pats would have a FTF! Perhaps the average user doesn't realize it, though, as it's hidden, as you point out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by kirax2
I just find it ironic that a card targeting ex-pats would have a FTF!
Most Japanese expats in the US have multiple cards anyway so it's not much of a big deal I guess. They usually have a personal credit card issued in Japan which they use when they are back in Japan (obviously because all charges are in JPY), alongside what the US subsidiary gives them which they use as they live and work in the US (so all charges are in USD).

Take for example, the VP of my company. He has two ANA cards: ANA Card (issued by Mizuho Financial of Japan) as well as the ANA Card USA (issued by Bank of Omaha). The Japan issue ANA Card has a lot more features like Suica/PASMO capability and EMV chip while his Bank of Omaha issue ANA Card is a plain jane mag-stripe card.

Now those Japanese expats do shop frequently at Marukai and Mitsuwa while they are here stateside, so when they do, they might have an interest in earning 3% cashback by applying for a JCBUSA card. But the likelihood of them taking back their JCBUSA issued JCB card back to Japan, probably not. In all likelihood, they may already have a Japan issued JCB card to use when they are back home, so they're just going to use that instead.

Last edited by kebosabi; Aug 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by kirax2
I've decided to add a cash back card to my repertoire, and this one has me intrigued, both for the 3% and for the potential discounts at Marukai/Mitsuwa/Sanseido etc. I notice that it's accepted at Target and 7-11, as well as Amazon, which are good signs. Has anyone tried at CVS?
I haven't actually tried it at CVS, but in the $50 promo that they're running for the summer, they specifically call CVS out as a featured merchant. I've yet to not have one of those "featured merchants" not work, but YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Something I always find odd is that Diners Club (Non US/Canadian cards) always works in the US on the Discover network for card present transactions (Also easy to explain to a merchant they accept it as it has a Discover logo on the back). You'd think JCB and China UnionPay would as well.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Something I always find odd is that Diners Club (Non US/Canadian cards) always works in the US on the Discover network for card present transactions (Also easy to explain to a merchant they accept it as it has a Discover logo on the back). You'd think JCB and China UnionPay would as well.
Reciprocal agreements I suppose? My Discover card has both Diners Club and Discover logo on the back, but it lacks a JCB or Union Pay logo. Therefore, Discover and Diners Club probably worked out an agreement to put each others' logo on the back of their cards, but said agreement isn't worked out between Discover-JCB-Union Pay?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
In regards to this $50 promo. If you plan on doing it, don't leave it till the end. I just figured out that you can at most do a max of 10 transactions per day on the card. Doesn't matter if they're all low value.

BTW, anyone go to one of those 'Plaza Lounges' they mention on the website?

I note there is one at the Kodak Theater (or whatever it's been renamed to).

Would be a little more useful if they had one at an airport (assuming it is a lounge in that sense).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Would be a little more useful if they had one at an airport (assuming it is a lounge in that sense).
JCB Gold card holders and above (Platinum, The Class) do have JCB airport lounge access across airports in Japan as well as complimentary Priority Pass, overall benefit being a "meh," especially if you already have OW Sapphire/Emerald or *A Gold status from an airline (i.e.: AA or UA) which gets reciprocal benefits for JAL and ANA domestic lounges within Japan which provide better service than JCB lounges.

That being said, I don't know if Gold, Platinum, The Class cards are even available outside of Japan. Though, perhaps Platinum status can be achieved by invitation as JCB Int'l clearly lists an English page for JCB Platinum cardholders with no mention on how to obtain one: http://www.jcbcard.com/platinum/index.html
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Reciprocal agreements I suppose? My Discover card has both Diners Club and Discover logo on the back, but it lacks a JCB or Union Pay logo. Therefore, Discover and Diners Club probably worked out an agreement to put each others' logo on the back of their cards, but said agreement isn't worked out between Discover-JCB-Union Pay?
The difference is Discover IS Diner's Club - same company, different country.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by alexmt
The difference is Discover IS Diner's Club - same company, different country.
Good catch, forgot they are the same company now. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.