Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I kind of hate this thread... and a lot of them in MilesBuzz...

For the following reasons:

1) The '18 month rule' is a fiction. Citi doesn't have such a rule. Oh... I've tried on a few posts to state that I've bypassed the 'not for first time card members' rule at 9 months and 11 month consecutively... but alas... these threads grow so fast with 'non-'information that whatever I or anyone else who had contrary information to 'dogma' get's lost

2) There is no such thing as a 'two browser trick'.

Ok, I understand that to explain Citi's bug on their application website from 2 years ago had to do with their poor design to deal with browser caching... But... this only ever affected 1 in 10 people, and that was 2 years ago. And... all that happened is you ended up applying for two of the EXACT same cards at the same time. And... funny thing, many people got approved anyway... Yes, that means two VISA AA cards, both for 75,000 miles at $1500 spending, each (yeah... kind of quoting an older thread here). Oh... but...And... you're giving credit to bloggers for educating you to the 'two browser trick'?!?! Ok... I shouldn't get so irate... but... THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a 'two browser trick', and it's not only so you can get two credit cards. It was only (2 years ago) so that your application (about 1 in 10) would NOT be treated by Citi's system as a duplicate application.

*yes as an aside you should 'always' apply for another card from the same issuer when each card pulls from the bureau for approval (and under the same name) -- which is why many of us didn't even know there was a 'two browser trick', because we did this anyway.

To continue to keep calling this a 'two browser trick', keeps driving me nuts because it sounds like the story of the 'NYC cab driver in the 1970's that dropped rose petals outside his cab, because it kept the tigers away -- and his response?? You don't see any tigers do you?' (yes, this is a story, and not a fact, but, the message is the same)

Ok... if you know nothing about your browser, yes... I guess it is a 'two browser trick'...but to believe that the 'two browser trick' is somehow fooling Citi?? Please, you're not that smart.... or Citi is not that dumb... take your pick.

ok... I guess I really do have a beef against the phrase 'two browser trick'. Because it's an apparent religion now, and like all religions has no basis in reality....
...and really... Very few know why they do a 'two browser trick', other to sound smart when they post to a thread for the first time and say they did a 'two browser trick'.

FWIW: I've never used the 'two browser trick'. Looks like a pagan religion to me: 'you must use two browsers, you must wait 18 months... blah blah blah'. I've earned 500+ AAdvantage miles (actually MM miles to boot) since this whole religion of 'two browser trick, and 18 months' began... and I haven't even participated in the last 8 months... (not with AA anyway)

3) ??

Oh, I guess there is a '3'. Or will be at some point.

The biggest theme in this thread (and the last thread about 75Kmiles) is the misinformation on rules that don't even exist... but are merely statistical observances.

Ok, back to step 2... if you want AAdvantage miles, you have good credit, it's been a while (at least 60 days), just go an apply. Or... if the credit inquiry hurts to much... then don't do it. Your odds of approval go up with the progress of time, but, you miss out on the 'approvals within time'.

Bottom line, I will state there is absolutely no such thing as an '18 month rule'. I've reported this, as have a few others. Why the lemmings keep going back to a non-existent 18 month rule floors me.

Oh hell...

</rant>

<I probably should not have started>
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:34 am

Hope you don't mind me sharing my opinion on point 1 above despite being new to FT.

Originally Posted by thehawk75
The biggest theme in this thread (and the last thread about 75Kmiles) is the misinformation on rules that don't even exist... but are merely statistical observances.
I agree with you that this is not a rule per se but, unless you or someone else can tell us exactly what the rules are, all we have are statistical observations that we can use to infer the rules. You may or may not like this, but given enough information this statistical inference can be made quite "scientific" (I'm not claiming that it is in this thread).

Given the reported times between applications one can construct several estimators of how long you need to wait. You could use the minimum wait period (I don't remember what it was but I guess around 4-5 months), you could use the maximum (around 24 months) or the average if you are willing to compute that (I'm guessing between 12-18 months).

Of course every person is free to chose and to try, but as a blogger offering advice to somebody else it's better (in my opinion) to be conservative, that is to use the maximum estimate and play on the safe side. If the person asking is willing to take chances, he/she is free to do so and please come back to report the outcome. But in my experience the vast majority of people are "risk-averse" which why the advice is usually conservative.

The 18 months period is a "rule of thumb", so it's not literally a rule.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) The '18 month rule' is a fiction. Citi doesn't have such a rule.
Calling it a "rule" is a shorthand but technically yes a misnomred. It's just an "observed trend". Trend is not the same thing as rule. But it reads confusingly in quick posts, and so for easy shorthand we use the term "rule". "Rule" in these forms does mean it's a hard fact, just observed behavior trend.

2) There is no such thing as a 'two browser trick'.
Ok, I understand that to explain Citi's bug on their application website from 2 years ago had to do with their poor design to deal with browser caching... But... this only ever affected 1 in 10 people, and that was 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]
And what I hate is that you post in such threads without reading them. There have been people in recent months affecting by the caching, not just 2 years ago.

And who cares if it's only 1 in 10? That's bad enough! Again, most people don't understand caching and how to work around it, so for simplicity we call it the "two browser type trick" because it's the simplest-to-explain-to-anyhone-no-matter-their-computer-savvy way to explain how to avoid any possibility of cache problems.

You obviously only care about yourself (because 1 in 10 doesn't affect you and so you don't care about in 1 in 10). We who are helping people in this thread sometimes reply to 10 people in one day, and so getting 1 of those
wrong sounds like a bad average!

Indeed.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by saacman5033
[I]NOTE:

Expired, No landing page, but still working

1. $150 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes

Links:

Visa (Business): https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006

2. $100 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k AA miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 1 Companion Certificate after you become a cardmember. Fare classes are H, V, M, L, K, W, G, S, N, Q, or O per this post

Links:

AMEX
VISA

Terms & Conditions

Data point:

Relative of mine applied for the Amex and Visa using the # 2 link yesterday. Previously he got the 75k ones back in Dec 2010. He called the reconsideration line and was told he can't have the cards again since he had it before. Was told it will not show up as denied, but just as a regular hard inquiry. So, 18 months did not work for him.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:16 am

</rant>

Alright there Brick, why don't you just stop talking now

Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:55 am

I also posted long ago that there's no rule about 18 months for the citi card, but some people replied stating that there was. If they want to think so.. fine.. but I'm getting mine, while people wait 1.5 years. haha..

I also agree with the 2 browser trick... NO SUCH THING!
Citi always allows 2 cards or more at a time. yes, more than 2 cards at a time is harder, but not a trick using 2 browsers. I ALWAYS apply one at a time. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
I also posted long ago that there's no rule about 18 months for the citi card, but some people replied stating that there was. If they want to think so.. fine.. but I'm getting mine, while people wait 1.5 years. haha..

Citi always allows 2 cards or more at a time. yes, more than 2 cards at a time is harder, but not a trick using 2 browsers. I ALWAYS apply one at a time. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.
#notcredible
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Another data point:
- Relative 1 applied for the 50k after $3000 spend within 4 months, 18 months from last Citi AA application. Result: denied, reconsideration said due to having previous card before.
- Relative 2 applied for the public offer of 35k after some spending, 14 months from last Citi AA application: Result: approved instantly.

What do you think cause the difference? Is it the 35k offer vs the 50k offer?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:29 pm

This thread is not about coming up with a "rule" regarding the minimum time period needed for SOME/FEW to get the card again. It's about coming up with a "rule" about the average/maximum time period so that ALL/MOST can get it again.

Put differently if you have only 2 posters asking for advice, one that is able to get the card every 6 months and one every 12, the rule/advice should be 12 so that EVERYBODY gets it. It's up to the one able to get in 6 to figure that out and apply sooner, but that does not change the GENERAL advice. The general advice would change only if both are able to get in in 6 months.

That being said, every data point is important so if you are able to get your bonus every 4 months congratulations and please keep reporting you success.

Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Have you spend some time to read the First Post of this thread, that right on the top it has a link to the old Citi AAdvantage card thread, where the Post No.2 has all the Ins and Outs about how to successfully apply Citi AAdvantage card? If you have done so, you would not made this mistake, as <<I applied for the AMEX after getting the VISA a while back ...>>

Do yourself a big favor, spend time to read that post that has helped many many many folks successfully gotten hundreds of thousands of AA miles by understanding the basics and carefully follow the proven methods.
I had, but I missed this. Regardless, apologies for wasting your time on something that's obviously been covered before.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date Point:

1) Self, failed in 11 months. Succeeded in almost 14 months. No idea what would happen between 11 and 14. Had to wait at least 2 months after 11 anyway.

2) Spouse, failed in 19 months. Succeeded in 21 months. As a result, he missed out the 75K / 100K offer because he got a pair of 30K/35K just couple weeks before the 75K/100K offer came out. When he tried to catch the tail wind of the great offer at 19 months from his last pair of 30/35K, the apps were denied on 1st timer clause. After that we settled for the 40/50K.

Those who are very lucky that can get away with much shorter time lapse and much more inquiries, please count your luck and not to ridicule those who are unlucky to have such luxury.

Each one can try every 60/65 days if s/he does not care for the outcome, just for the sake of trying (so s/he does not have to wait out the conventional time lapse that seems to have the highest successful rate).

For me, and probably for a lot of others, I would rather to have a calculated high probability of success than trying randomly. As y'all can see the above, even with the almost identical credit profiles, we each have a different "gauge" when it comes to Citi cards.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:41 pm

Instant approval for a churn with the "two browser trick" at roughly the 23 month mark.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with Citi spam calling them the day after the app? I checked the call logs, and there were three missed calls from Citi...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:36 am

Just got my two AA amex cards (goofed up the app somehow in two browser trick but got two amexs - no word on visa lol).

when I called for the details they told me it was 40K first 2000 in 3 months additonal 10K if you spend 5K in a year. 100 dollar statement credit for aa purchase -

Okay so here is my question - I can get an amex gift card for up to 5000 dollars - could I not just send that to my roomate - have him go out and get 5000 in travelers checks with it then I deposit those to pay back the 5000K and boom I meet my requirement?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
Just got my two AA amex cards (goofed up the app somehow in two browser trick but got two amexs - no word on visa lol).

when I called for the details they told me it was 40K first 2000 in 3 months additonal 10K if you spend 5K in a year. 100 dollar statement credit for aa purchase -

Okay so here is my question - I can get an amex gift card for up to 5000 dollars - could I not just send that to my roomate - have him go out and get 5000 in travelers checks with it then I deposit those to pay back the 5000K and boom I meet my requirement?
actually could i not just buy travelers checks (ny bank charges 2% of face value) for 5000 - deposit it and auto pay the bill when it comes - sure it cost me 100 bucks but that 100 statement credit covers that
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
actually could i not just buy travelers checks (ny bank charges 2% of face value) for 5000 - deposit it and auto pay the bill when it comes - sure it cost me 100 bucks but that 100 statement credit covers that
Actually I don't think it will work. you might want to zero out your cash advance limit on the cards. Citi very likely will re-code your purchase as a cash advance and charge you the fee and deny giving you AA points as well as not counting them as purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.