Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
My sister's WF card is almost exclusively used in Canada (contactless where possible, swipe otherwise). I wonder if she'll be included in an expanded trial.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:03 am

In my continuing saga of the emv Citibank AA card, yesterday I did receive a new citi AA MC with the emv chip. Hurray. Unfortunately, they changed both the expiration date and I had to begin the arduous task of switching a whole series of automatic payments (many of which I switched away from citibank anyway to my Fidelity 2% Amex card). In any event I will be in the UK starting Thursday for 5 days and will get the opportunity to try the card out for some very small purchases (the next thing on the agenda is to get Citibank to do away with the wicked almost criminal 3% foreign transaction fee and perhaps to give its AA cardholders some kind of perk (such as priority boarding or first checked bag free as does Deta with its Amex program but that's for another time and place).....for now at least if I run into any merchants who won't take a swipe card, I should be okay (although what will happen if they only take chip and pin and this card, as we all know, is chip and signature. Will be be able to use it for the Dutch National railroad?) Will report back next week.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Gemalto Offers U.S. Banks Seamless EMV Migration with Instant Issuance Operated Services

in-branch Dexxis EMV instant issuance card solution for U.S. banks, designed to streamline and accelerate EMV migration. Dexxis instant issuance allows banks to immediately issue and activate initial and replacement cards directly at the physical bank branch location, rather than sending personalized cards to end users via postal mail
This would be a far better way to go.

Visit a bank branch and get an EMV card on the spot, instead of:
  • Wading through the phone menu
  • Speaking to a CSR who doesn't know what an EMV is
  • Having that CSR verify that with his/her supervisor
  • Having that supervisor manually over ride it to push the request
  • Not knowing whether that bank sent the request to the correct manufacturer that is capable of issuing an EMV card
  • Waiting days to get the card via snail mail
  • Requester not knowing whether the card is EMV capable until it physically arrives in his/her mailbox and opening it up

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
In my continuing saga of the emv Citibank AA card, yesterday I did receive a new citi AA MC with the emv chip. Hurray. Unfortunately, they changed both the expiration date and I had to begin the arduous task of switching a whole series of automatic payments (many of which I switched away from citibank anyway to my Fidelity 2% Amex card). In any event I will be in the UK starting Thursday for 5 days and will get the opportunity to try the card out for some very small purchases (the next thing on the agenda is to get Citibank to do away with the wicked almost criminal 3% foreign transaction fee and perhaps to give its AA cardholders some kind of perk (such as priority boarding or first checked bag free as does Deta with its Amex program but that's for another time and place).....for now at least if I run into any merchants who won't take a swipe card, I should be okay (although what will happen if they only take chip and pin and this card, as we all know, is chip and signature. Will be be able to use it for the Dutch National railroad?) Will report back next week.
Do you have the Elite AAdvantage card? I thought that one had no foreign transaction fees...

We'll be waiting with bated breath for your report!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Some US stores are already EMV live

Now Taking EMV Cards at Some U.S. Stores, Wal-Mart Prods EFT Networks to Get in the Game

With both Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. now on the record with plans to encourage the adoption of EMV chip card and mobile payments in the U.S, it seems all but certain that the magnetic-stripe payment card’s days are numbered. In fact, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. already is seeing some EMV transactions, and so far the cards have worked well, according to an executive with the world’s largest retailer.
For those who have EMV cards from Chase or Citi, might want to try them out at your local Wal-Mart.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by dw
Same experience with my TY Premier MC... The replacement card arrived today without a chip. I called again and they told me that a new card with a chip would be sent out to me, but let's just say that based on the conversation I had, I don't have too much confidence in that. If I just get another regular card again, I think I'll also just wait a few weeks before trying again.
Indeed, for the second time I received a replacement card from Citi that is chipless. I'm just going to wait a few weeks or months before trying again.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by critterchick
Do you have the Elite AAdvantage card? I thought that one had no foreign transaction fees...

We'll be waiting with bated breath for your report!
No...I have the vanilla World Perks AA mastercard, the one whose annual fee is ony $85 not into the $400's so they make up for it by gouging me with the immoral 3% foreign transaction fee. For a while I did use AA quite a big, achieved gold status on them but have since switched most of my flying allegiance to Delta. At least with the Delta Amex card, I get priority boarding and first bag flies free; almost makes up for the annual fee but I have quite a few Delta miles accumulated and am using some of them on this trip.

As far as my brand new emv equipped citibank AA card, it worked flawlessly. Put it in the emv slot, and it stays there, doesn't ask for a PIN but prints out a receipt and the clerks don't seem surprised as if they're used to chip and signature cards. Many of them go through the charade, as is done in Great Britain, of actually checking the signature panel although I deliberately sign somewhat differently to see if they really check and of course they don't look all that closely.

But I will leave with this one caveat. All the places I used the emv card, that is for minor purchases of less than £5 because my name is tucker not sucker and am not happy with the immoral 3% foreign currency fee, were places I had always used magnetic strip cards without any problems. At least here in Great Britain, for the most part, using magnetic strip cards has not been a problem. But I will be in Paris come June and that might be a better test.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:22 pm

As a data point - I tweeted @AskCiti on saturday, got a phone call, and received my TY Premier with EMV today via 2 day mail, no problem. ^ to them.

Edit:

MaisonUnitas requested a photo. Not a photographer, but this shows the basic (blurry) appearance of the card. Packaging actually didn't come with a brochure or anything regarding the chip functionality.

Last edited by bver100; Feb 15, 2012 at 9:24 am Reason: Including a photo
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:01 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bver100
As a data point - I tweeted @AskCiti on saturday, got a phone call, and received my TY Premier with EMV today via 2 day mail, no problem. ^ to them.
Thanks for the tip! I tweeted @AskCiti this morning and got a call back from a very helpful rep who seemed far more knowledgeable regarding EMV. He looked into my account history and saw that during my prior two calls, the reps had only ordered regular replacement cards.

Apparently the procedure is very simple-- there is an option the reps need to select that changes your card type from World Mastercard to "GCC".

Hopefully this attempt was successful- I'll update when the replacement card arrives.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Looks like I finally will be able to test out my Chip-and-Signature Citi AAdvantage card next weekend in Canada. I'll report back how (and if) they work at Canadian gas stations that are now starting to be equipped with chip readers.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 17, 2012 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by misterfuss
I am intrigued by the Andrews FCU option to obtain a chip and pin credit card. Has anyone here gone this route? What was your time frame from credit union membership acceptance to credit card account approval and receiving the chip and pin card?
See post 641 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nature-43.html thread
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
It's hit and miss. Can't cite that specific card but another Chase chip & sig card - gets rejected entirely at some kiosks. At offline kiosks, without a chip & pin method I would surmise we're screwed.

A number of experiences are posted in this thread if you read back over the past several months.
I will be using my JPM Select (Chase) chip/sig card in London and Paris next week and will report on successes/failures in using with the Underground and Paris Metro. Was recently in Victoria, BC where chip terminals are universal and had no problems with my JPM card.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
Cards with no foreign transaction fee are also available from American Express, Chase, Citi and PenFed, but of course there is no assurance that any bank would offer a card with both EMV and no foreign transaction fees.
\
I have a Chase British Air card with EMV (chip & signature) and no foreign fees.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by dlerner
I have a Chase British Air card with EMV (chip & signature) and no foreign fees.
but just short of perfection because it has an annual fee so the ideal credit card...

1. emv chip (chip and pin preferable to chip and signature as apparently some places still don't take chip and signature but take chip and pin but this is not a deal killer).

2. no annual fee

3. no foreign transaction fee

4. rewards..

Still think trhe perfect card doesn't yet exist.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Diners Club MC the first US card that earns (directly or indirectly) airline miles and/or hotel points to proactively upgrade (all of?) its longtime cardholders to a chip & PIN card?

I just got my PIN in the mail this week, and the chip card itself (with a new expiration date and new security code on back) yesterday. I had never called them to request one (I just waited patiently and read the news updates on FT ), and lots of other people who didn't request are getting them too:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diner...hip-pin-3.html

The ironic thing is that (due to the slow transfer of Diners Club North America from Citi to BMO/Harris) it's not been possible to apply for a (personal) Diners Club card for a few years now, before all this EMV card buzz in the US started. So you had to have either great luck or fantastic foresight to have applied for a Diners Club card back then so that you could get a chip & pin card now.

IMHO, it's one thing to have EMV cards available on a "test" basis or "per request" basis. It's a different level of support to have a credit card company proactively update all its members' cards to EMV. And, of course, it's especially nice to have it go straight to PIN support from day one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.