Monterey DO Two activity sign-up

Friday lunch, 1pm Ambrosia India Bistro
Doc Savage
boxo
califcoast

Friday pre-dinner nibbles and drinks, Days Inn room
boxo
Doc Savage

Friday dinner at il vecchio, Pacific Grove 7:30 pm (13/12)
boxo
Doc Savage
lili - may be late, save a seat
CMK10
KathyWdrf
ChrisFlyer66
Majuki
spacecrafter
Sykes - may be a tad bit late
deirdre+1
redrick
califcoast

Old Monterey Cafe 8 am sharp
boxo
CMK10
dinoscool3 +4
Majuki
mhnadel
deirdre

Saturday Tor House ~75-min tour, arrive 9:45 am [limited to 8 people] (6)
ChrisFlyer66
lili
Majuki
mhnadel
spacecrafter
boxo

Saturday noon-ish Point Lobos (9)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
lili - briefly - my goal is Big Sur
mhnadel
Majuki
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
redrick+1

Saturday Carmel lunch, Terry's Lounge 12 noon (4/6)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
mhnadel
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
Sykes

deirdre

Saturday dinner Downtown Monterey, Epsilon Greek Restaurant 7 pm (17/18)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
KathyWdrf
lili
mhnadel
spacecrafter
Sykes
Karen2 +1
deirdre+1
redrick

Sunday 10:30 am State Historic Parks Public Walking Tour [Please arrive Pacific House Museum 10 am.] (10)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
lili
Kathy Wdrf
spacecrafter

Sunday lunch in Pacific Grove, Fandango 12:00 noon (13/14)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
lili
deirdre+1
redrick
Print Wikipost

Monterey DO Two: 24-26 October 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
KathyWdrf is the only person who is not going to Tor House, but is going to Point Lobos. The Crossroads shopping center is the perfect place for us to rendezvous.

Kathy, are you driving down to Monterey? Or carpooling?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Or we can hit Safeway at the Crossroads after Tor House.

Or we can take some snacks to Point Lobos, then head down the coast to Nepenthe or up to Carmel Highlands Inn for a late lunch.

We can talk about it on Friday.
Nepenthe, or somewhere in the area. There are several options which I can't remember. right now. That is my plan for Saturday afternoon, would welcome company.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
If the weather is nice, we would go to Nepenthe with you Saturday.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boxo
Sleep on the plane. You're only in town for a few daylight hours. You should walk down to the wharf. Hmm, on second thought, nap so you're awake for dinner++.
Good point! Plus as an avid travel photographer I'd be doing my readers a disservice if I didn't have some daylight Monterey pics.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Good point! Plus as an avid travel photographer I'd be doing my readers a disservice if I didn't have some daylight Monterey pics.
But you should definitely be well-rested for the drive. It's harrowing at some spots and you'll be oceanside going south.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lili
Nepenthe, or somewhere in the area. There are several options which I can't remember. right now. That is my plan for Saturday afternoon, would welcome company.
Originally Posted by Karen2
I would love to say we'll meet you, but I don't want to box us into a time frame for exploring the park. But we'll talk about it Friday night.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boxo
But you should definitely be well-rested for the drive. It's harrowing at some spots and you'll be oceanside going south.
I'll get enough sleep and I only have to go as far as Lompoc. I'm still young and coffee still works

But I appreciate you looking out for me.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Karen2
Great! My goal is not Nepenthe per se, but Big Sur itself. There's a lot to see, much of it not very accessible. I want to explore, have no idea where to start.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
lili at Nepenthe

We would be looking to sit on the patio and have lunch at Nepenthe but Mr. Karen2 might like a hike at Big Sur. Then I would read a book on the patio. What time did you intend to go to Nepenthe? Or inside if it is cold....
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by lili
Great! My goal is not Nepenthe per se, but Big Sur itself. There's a lot to see, much of it not very accessible. I want to explore, have no idea where to start.
Gosh, so many nice places, but here's one that might be to your taste, dunno: Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (not to be confused with Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park) is towards the north end of the Big Sur territory (about 30 miles short of Carmel). This is in a forested stretch where CA-1 goes inland a few miles from the coast, and very lush. You turn east into the park ($10 entrance fee), drive down and to the right just a short ways (1/4 mile, I think), and you're at the banks of the Big Sur River, at a place where it has hollowed out a natural swimming pool.

I chanced on that spot after a hot summer morning hiking in Pinnaces National Monument, and soaked my headache away in the cool water, leaving me forever grateful. Of course, on account of the drought, I'm not sure what condition the pool is in, let alone the famous waterfall further into the park. (Apparently, walking upstream, you can find an even nicer swimming spot, called 'The Gorge Swimming Hole' on Yelp.)

Rather more demanding, and not feasible unless you have a whole day to devote, is Sykes Hot Springs, a long hike through the Ventana Wilderness, and not somewhere to just walk to on a lark, but rewarding if you're prepared (sunscreen, Deet, lots of drinking water, plenty of time). It's a natural, volcanic-fueled hot springs.

You're a tourist, so it's fine for you to stop and gawk at Bixby Creek Bridge and its stunning natural setting. Best photographing spot is on Old Coast Road, the well-maintained dirt road branching off from Highway One just north of the highway after you cross the bridge. Go onto Old Coast Road and proceed 1/2 mile for the best view. You can then keep going, and the road rejoins CA-1 10.5 miles south at Andrew Molera State Park, after going through beautiful redwood forest with sweeping ocean views.

Oh, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, much further south from its sister state park, sports an 80-foot waterfall, McWay Falls, tumbling down to a cove of the ocean. It's a stunner, and well worth the 1/3 mile walk from the highway.

I've never yet stopped at the Henry Miller Library, but I'll bet it's worth your while.

One place I'd personally skip is the Nepenthe Restaurant, which just didn't grab me (despite the really great view), and their Ambrosia Burgers are overpriced and nothing special. (But there may be aspects of the place I've not yet learned to appreciate, and perhaps other places in Nepenthe that appeal.)

Last edited by redrick; Oct 22, 2014 at 3:53 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Congrats on your first post, redrick. It's not too late to join us this weekend.

These days, you go to Nepenthe for the patio and the view, not the Ambrosia burger. Another easy walking trail is Andrew Molera State Park, on the right going south. There's a parking lot off the highway and a nice walk through a eucalyptus grove out to the coastal cliffs. I camped there somewhat regularly 20 years ago.

Anyway, dress for our restaurant meals is dressy casual.

I wish you all safe travels. Forty-nine hours and counting!

PS - PM for my cell number if I haven't already sent it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Hi all! I've been a bit quiet in this thread, but I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'm planning to take it pretty easy for the weekend, so I've only signed up for the meals so far. I'm going to arrive Friday evening and depart Saturday after dinner.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast has generated a little bit of uncertainty for me. I'll be flying myself and, while a little rain isn't bad, clouds combined with freezing levels below 5,000 feet can be more problematic. I'm optimistic, but I wanted to apologize in advance if I have to cancel at the last minute.

See you soon!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Oh wow, I posted before checking the wiki. Nice to see redrick and repeat offenders, I mean attenders, deirdre +1.

I will update our reservations numbers. ^
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sykes
Hi all! I've been a bit quiet in this thread, but I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'm planning to take it pretty easy for the weekend, so I've only signed up for the meals so far. I'm going to arrive Friday evening and depart Saturday after dinner.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast has generated a little bit of uncertainty for me. I'll be flying myself and, while a little rain isn't bad, clouds combined with freezing levels below 5,000 feet can be more problematic. I'm optimistic, but I wanted to apologize in advance if I have to cancel at the last minute.

See you soon!
The weekend weather forecast has been fluctuating a little, including a slight chance of rain Saturday. At the moment, it looks good with temps in the mid-to-high 60s and no rain. Tomorrow and Friday are going to be 70F. The evenings will be a little chilly in the mid-50s.

Of course, you Bay Area folks know how it is.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I've heard reports from a couple people in Pacific Grove that the Monarch butterflies have begun arriving. I don't think they will disappoint whatever their numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.