Monterey DO Two activity sign-up

Friday lunch, 1pm Ambrosia India Bistro
Doc Savage
boxo
califcoast

Friday pre-dinner nibbles and drinks, Days Inn room
boxo
Doc Savage

Friday dinner at il vecchio, Pacific Grove 7:30 pm (13/12)
boxo
Doc Savage
lili - may be late, save a seat
CMK10
KathyWdrf
ChrisFlyer66
Majuki
spacecrafter
Sykes - may be a tad bit late
deirdre+1
redrick
califcoast

Old Monterey Cafe 8 am sharp
boxo
CMK10
dinoscool3 +4
Majuki
mhnadel
deirdre

Saturday Tor House ~75-min tour, arrive 9:45 am [limited to 8 people] (6)
ChrisFlyer66
lili
Majuki
mhnadel
spacecrafter
boxo

Saturday noon-ish Point Lobos (9)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
lili - briefly - my goal is Big Sur
mhnadel
Majuki
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
redrick+1

Saturday Carmel lunch, Terry's Lounge 12 noon (4/6)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
mhnadel
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
Sykes

deirdre

Saturday dinner Downtown Monterey, Epsilon Greek Restaurant 7 pm (17/18)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
KathyWdrf
lili
mhnadel
spacecrafter
Sykes
Karen2 +1
deirdre+1
redrick

Sunday 10:30 am State Historic Parks Public Walking Tour [Please arrive Pacific House Museum 10 am.] (10)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
lili
Kathy Wdrf
spacecrafter

Sunday lunch in Pacific Grove, Fandango 12:00 noon (13/14)
boxo
ChrisFlyer66
Dinoscool3 +4
KathyWdrf
spacecrafter
lili
deirdre+1
redrick
Print Wikipost

Monterey DO Two: 24-26 October 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Thanks, Charles. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else as well.

I see that you are planning to drive down to LAX for a Sunday night flight. Thought you might like to know that about 10% of the LA population seems to head up to Santa Barbara on weekends, resulting in traffic speeds of about 30-40 mph from Santa Barbara to near LAX anytime after about 1pm on Sundays. Depending on the time of your flight, you may want to stay in Santa Barbara Saturday night (great restaurant/bar scene) and head down to the LA area by noon. I usually just go to Venice Beach in LA and enjoy the craziness, the use surface streets to get to the airport if it's anywhere near rush hour.

You'll enjoy the drive down the coast.^

Doc
Hmm that's a thought. Though my flight out of LAX isn't until 11:10 PM though so that won't bother me too much. I'm planning to stay Saturday at the Embassy Suites in Lompoc and then head to Santa Barabra for lunch and hanging out. The traffic won't bother me as long as I'm in LA in time for dinner. Appreciate the warning though ^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hmm that's a thought. Though my flight out of LAX isn't until 11:10 PM though so that won't bother me too much. I'm planning to stay Saturday at the Embassy Suites in Lompoc and then head to Santa Barabra for lunch and hanging out. The traffic won't bother me as long as I'm in LA in time for dinner. Appreciate the warning though ^
I know what hotel prices are like on weekends, so I think I know why Lompoc. When I'm in that area, I usually stay at the Radisson in Santa Maria. There are some rooms available that day for $80 using the Friends and Family rate code carlsonf if that's better than what you're getting in Lompoc, and less out of the way. Cool thing is that the hotel is right on the airport runway. Suggest you spend a few hours and get dinner in San Luis Obispo, a great town. Santa Maria, and especially Lompoc are best to drive to late and leave early.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I know what hotel prices are like on weekends, so I think I know why Lompoc. When I'm in that area, I usually stay at the Radisson in Santa Maria. There are some rooms available that day for $80 using the Friends and Family rate code carlsonf if that's better than what you're getting in Lompoc, and less out of the way. Cool thing is that the hotel is right on the airport runway. Suggest you spend a few hours and get dinner in San Luis Obispo, a great town. Santa Maria, and especially Lompoc are best to drive to late and leave early.
My current plan is a late lunch in SLO and to check out the campus and a few other sights. One of the other reasons I picked Lompoc (besides the price ) was that one of my favorite movies is Sideways which was filmed in nearby Buellton and Solvang. So I'm going to have dinner at one of the restaurants featured in the movie.

We'll have to talk at dinner so you can give me more pointers, sounds like you know this area really well.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
If anyone will be arriving before noon on Friday, I always enjoy having lunch at the buffet at Ambrosia Indian Bistro, but am open to other spots.

http://ambrosiaib.com/monetrey/. (Yes, the URL is spelled this way...)
I will definitely be up for lunch. Possibly 1:00 or 1:30?

... one of my favorite movies is Sideways which was filmed in nearby Buellton and Solvang. So I'm going to have dinner at one of the restaurants featured in the movie.
Has there been a "Sideways" DO? If not, why not?! I'm not a drinker, would hate to take that planning on for extreme fear of disappointing.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I'm done with all of my late-summer travel and am on the ground till February at this point.

Attention all fence-sitters: are you hot, cold or somewhere in the middle?

centxwx
mersk862
JerryFF
karung99+1
f0zzyNUE
HansGolden
HPN-HRL (x Oct 3-5)
penegal
ptownca
Sykes
emyh
stellertony

In the next 1-2 weeks, I'll be asking for some commitment.

Firstly, I need to submit a firmer number than "around 15" by the end of the month (Sep 30) to the State Parks Dept for the Sunday walking tour.

Please record your intentions for each event in the wiki above. If anyone has good reason to be waffling on confirming weekend attendance, send me a PM. (I'll clear out some Inbox space just for you!)

Last edited by boxo; Sep 23, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by boxo
Has there been a "Sideways" DO? If not, why not?!
I would be 100% on board with this idea!!! ^^^
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Count me in... I was looking at the Marriott, but the rates seem high. I'll figure something out though.. Would it be possible to confirm Friday Dinner through Saturday dinner? I think I will drive home Saturday evening.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: US, HH
Unfortunately I have to bow out. I did however move up my visit to two weeks earlier and will be using the very splendid activities list as a cheat sheet! Happy to do some "dress rehearsal" the weekend of the 11th, if anybody is around.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
Count me in... I was looking at the Marriott, but the rates seem high. I'll figure something out though.. Would it be possible to confirm Friday Dinner through Saturday dinner? I think I will drive home Saturday evening.
That is absolutely fine. Add yourself to the wiki at the top of the page.

The Marriott is always expensive. When I was a MR Platinum, I had designs on a staycation, but no way was I going to spend $$$ for a hotel that doesn't even have a lounge.

Originally Posted by GrjApp
Unfortunately I have to bow out. I did however move up my visit to two weeks earlier and will be using the very splendid activities list as a cheat sheet! Happy to do some "dress rehearsal" the weekend of the 11th, if anybody is around.
Oh, yikes. That's Mazda race weekend. Did you find an affordable hotel within a 50-mile radius? I'll be around. Let's coordinate a meet in a couple weeks.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Has there been a "Sideways" DO? If not, why not?! I'm not a drinker, would hate to take that planning on for extreme fear of disappointing.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I would be 100% on board with this idea!!! ^^^
That's a good idea, I'd be interested too on one condition, I am not drinking any F-ING Merlot!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

A reminder that I need a headcount for Sunday's State Parks walking tour. Please sign up on the wiki if you haven't already done so. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:41 pm

Anyone interested in being roommates Friday night? I need stays to make Hilton Diamond but the HGI Monterey is still a bit steep, especially for what's going to be an expensive trip. Anyone want to share a room and split costs? It would be $90 each but I'm Gold so we get...FREE BREAKFAST!

Let me know.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Anyone interested in being roommates Friday night? I need stays to make Hilton Diamond but the HGI Monterey is still a bit steep, especially for what's going to be an expensive trip. Anyone want to share a room and split costs? It would be $90 each but I'm Gold so we get...FREE BREAKFAST!

Let me know.
I see on-site parking is $10/day. The Marriott's rate was even crazier at $300+. I don't need anymore Marriott nights this year, so I'm open to staying here.

Last edited by Majuki; Oct 1, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

OMG, I feel like the worst DO planner ever! I'm still working things out.

For Saturday, I originally planned an afternoon at Point Lobos, but it was suggested by (IIRC) frontrangeFF that we go in the morning when it's less apt to be crowded. The Parks only allow 150 cars in at one time, so if the park is full, people wait on the side of the road. One car out, one car in. And a ranger said the angle of afternoon sun can be bothersome. Sooo, our Point Lobos trip will be flipped to the morning.

I have also looked into Downtown Carmel walking tours, but only one outfit has gotten back to me.

Last week, the State Parks guy emailed to say they CANNOT offer us a private tour due to staff shortage. So, on Sunday, I went down there to talk to some rangers and five separately told me a few rangers had quit. I didn't ask why, but anyway, we will be joining the public tour at 10:30 am... which is on a first come-first served basis. The rangers said typically only a few people show up to tour. But, the last Sunday of every month is FREE, so there's a possibility for more people. The meeting place is inside the Pacific House Museum. I suggest we be there when they open at 10 am.

I am considering moving our Sunday lunch spot (Sticks in Pebble Beach) to somewhere closer/in town, either Monterey or Pacific Grove considering people's flight departures. I'd rather have a relaxed lunch with everyone rather than a hurried lunch with people needing to dash out for the airports.

I will update the wiki to reflect these new developments.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 pm

Don't sweat it, we got a few weeks to go and I for one think you're doing a great job ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.