Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:55 pm

Data point: initiated a transfer of 85k TYP to CX AsiaMiles on Saturday afternoon, checked on Sunday night and it wasn't posted. Checked on Monday morning and miles were posted. So it's 1 business day. All time in China Standard Time.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club added as Citi Thank You partner

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club was added as a new partner today.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....nsfer-partner/

It's already live on the Thank You site.

Also interesting quote from the article: "Indeed, Citi tells me “there will be more news soon…”
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by islandguy84
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club...
Thank you. The ThankYou description is here:

https://www.thankyou.com/pointsTrans...itemId=1867672

Virgin Atlantic (VS) does add substantial fuel surcharges on transatlantic flights, but can also be redeemed for travel on flights operated by partner airlines listed here, including Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin America (VX):

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en.../airlines.html
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
1. Do the ThankYou points transfer one to one to miles on frequent flyer programs?

2. Is there a minimum amount of miles you have to transfer?

3. What are the best redemptions of the TY points?

4. Which airline programs are the best to transfer to for mostly TATL out of SFO? Especially for someone who also has Chase UR points?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Seems like these transfers are only good for folks that are going to travel overseas.

Originally Posted by wco81
1. Do the ThankYou points transfer one to one to miles on frequent flyer programs?

4. Which airline programs are the best to transfer to for mostly TATL out of SFO? Especially for someone who also has Chase UR points?
I actually have similar questions.

Last edited by mia; Jan 20, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:01 pm
mia

See the Wikipost at the top of the thread.

1,000 points

There is no answer to this question.

4.... for someone who also has Chase UR points?

ThankYou Rewards has two airline programs in common with Chase Ultimate Rewards: Singapore Airline (SQ) and Virgin Atlantic (VS).

5. Seems like these transfers are only good for folks that are going to travel overseas.

Not necessarily. The Wikipost groups the programs by alliance. To travel on AA you would redeem through a OneWorld program. To travel on DL you would redeem through a SkyTeam program -or- Virgin Atlantic. To Travel on UA you would redeem through a Star Alliance program.

Last edited by mia; Jan 20, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Gold, HHonors Gold
Data Point - VS Flying Club Transfer

I was VERY excited to see the addition of Virgin Atlantic as a TYP transfer partner given I had a large accumulated balance of TY Points. Here's my transfer experience:

1. Initial transfer request of 1000 Points>Miles placed on Monday 1.19 approx 3pm PST (wanted to test if they posted overnight)
2. Nothing posted on Tuesday 1.20
3. Additional transfer request posted Tuesday 1.20 approx. 9.30am PST (I had put a 24 hold on newly available reward inventory)
4. Both transfers showed up in Flying Club account by 6am PST on Wednesday 1.21 (may have been earlier but that's when I first checked - they were not there by 11pm the night before)

So it appears that, at best, transfers available next working day, but likely subject to a cut-off time. Otherwise Monday 1.19 being a holiday may have delayed the initial request.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:11 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of uses for points which are not eligible for transfer has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ent-state.html
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: American Airlines
Additional Airline Partner Added to TYP

Hello,
Looks like Citi has added Qantas Airline as a travel partner. Check TY.COM.
It's on the main Thank you page, but has not seem to go live for "transfers" as of yet.^
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by livencali
It's on the main Thank you page, but has not seem to go live for "transfers" as of yet.^
Thank you. I have edited the Wikipost to add Qantas, but when I chatted online with Citi customer service the agent was unable to verify that Qantas will be added as a transfer partner for USA cardholders. He could only see the same discrepancy between the main page and the redemption page.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:16 am

Hello,
Looks like Citi has added Qantas Airline as a travel partner. Check TY.COM.
Yes, I'm seeing this too (and in the case of the transfer partners page, not seeing it). Odd, and yet somehow typically Citi.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:01 am
mia

Hello,
Looks like Citi has added Qantas Airline as a travel partner.
Qantas has disappeared from the main thankyou.com page, and has not been added to the redemption catalog. Could be it was posted prematurely.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:37 am

I spoke with the TY dept and the rep told me Qantas and "Air Plan" which I'm guessing is Air Canada's Aeroplan? are coming later this month. I also saw the Qantas logo, it's still there on the mobile site when you click travel but not listed on the partner page.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
Qantas has disappeared from the main thankyou.com page, and has not been added to the redemption catalog. Could be it was posted prematurely.
Or maybe they just confused "Qatar" and "Qantas."

Are you going to delete (or at least flag) the new QF refs in the wiki?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you. I have edited the Wikipost to add Qantas, but when I chatted online with Citi customer service the agent was unable to verify that Qantas will be added as a transfer partner for USA cardholders. He could only see the same discrepancy between the main page and the redemption page.

Okay MIA, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.