Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Hotel De Point, an Ascend Collection Member, Queens, NY

I got this hotel on a BRG when needing a quick overnight stay near LGA. It does have an airport shuttle, making it very convenient for this purpose. If you need a flight outside of their shuttle hours, they will make arrangements with a local car service at no cost to you. Very nice touch!

The hotel is in a large Asian shopping mall in a residential district about 15 minutes from LGA. There are Asian restaurants and an Asian grocery store on the lower levels, and check in is on the second level. This is incredibly convenient for snacks and food.

Very nice modern decor throughout. I was in room 201, closest to the lobby, which had beautiful high ceilings and a huge soaking tub. I will try to upload photos later because it was very impressive.

The very comfortable bed had high thread count sheets and hard but nice pillows. I slept very well.

There is a rooftop restaurant with a breakfast buffet but I did not get to try it due to my early flight. A nice option if you have to fly out of LGA and want a slightly different experience.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Inn of Chicago (Ascend Collection) - Chicago, IL

So the best thing about this property is the location, which is excellent. It's on Ohio Street one block from Michigan Avenue in the Magnificent Mile. That puts it a little far from public transit but it's still a great part of town to be in, especially around Christmas time.

Other than that though, thoroughly mediocre. We weren't able to check in at 10:30 which is understandable. The room was pretty small and fairly dingy. Only one outlet was to be found (it was on the desk), they left us a pad with a single piece of paper and no pen, a lot of the TV channels were fuzzy, the closet was tiny and bathroom also tiny etc. Oh and speaking of tiny, some European style tiny elevators too...annoying in a 20 floor hotel.

The staff was pretty friendly (minus them forgetting to call the valet for my car) though and they got my car out quickly. Parking obviously is a pain in the area, if you have a car, valet is $52, self parking $48. There's a small bar/restaurant in the lobby I didn't check out, a coffee shop and also a boarding pass printer.

Overall: B- (Mainly based on the location)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Cambria Hotel and Suites--Chelsea, Midtown Manhattan

I stayed in the new Cambria Hotel and Suites Chelsea in midtown Manhattan over Memorial Day weekend. This is a fine Choice property in a refurbished building that opened in April. It still had that “new hotel smell” and look as well as a very enthusiastic staff. How long those last may make your experience different from mine, but I can enthusiastically recommend this hotel. I was able to snag an introductory rate of 10K points per night, but rooms currently go for 20K per night, and I don’t believe there’s a better Choice points value in Manhattan.

The hotel is on 28th Street in Chelsea, wedged between a Hilton Garden Inn and an Indigo. Before joining FT, I would have never thought of this, but I will admit the words “hotel hopping” occurred to me during my stay. A subway station is half a block away at the corner of Seventh Avenue, and the hotel is very much within walking distance of Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. No unusual safety issues along the street, even late at night. The surrounding buildings, other than a small restaurant or two and the hotels, are mostly occupied on the ground floor by florists or subsidiary businesses, such as vase sellers. Although there isn’t a lot of foot traffic, the potted plants set out on the sidewalk can leave little room for pedestrians.

Check in was smooth, even at 5 p.m. on Friday, which was a relatively busy time. The front desk staff was very friendly, and the manager came out during my checkin to introduce himself and the remainder of the front desk staff. Acknowledged as a CP member. The lobby has a hipper vibe than almost any Choice hotel I can think of, looking more like an Aloft or Westin than a Comfort Inn or Clarion. Reflecting the surrounding Flower District, there are plenty of pictures and paintings of flowers around the hotel. Each floor’s layout, with apparently one exception, is the same with eight rooms per floor, two at each corner. The “Suites” part of this hotel is either the one floor that appears to be an exception to the hotel’s remaining layout or the ability to hook up adjoining rooms through an interior door—hardly unique to this property.

My room was 905, a standard king room. The room, including the bathroom, was approximately 220 square feet—enough room for the bed, two night stands, a work desk, a small sofa and coffee table, and a generously-sized armoire—no closet. A 50-inch HDTV mounted on the wall, leaving more space for the work desk sitting immediately below. TV programming was standard cable plus three Showtime channels. A coffee maker, microwave, and small refrigerator. Laminated wood flooring with no carpeting. Windows in the room but no balcony, which is hardly unusual for New York. Pleasant view across the street at a rooftop garden. Again, the hip vibe in the room with textured wallpaper, lots of brushed nickel and chrome, and multiple outlets and USB charging ports—two at the desk and one on each side of the bed.

The bathroom is a decent size with a glassed-in shower—no tub. My kudos to the designer of this shower. I’ve stayed in enough Alofts with a similar shower but found that this shower didn’t leak as all of my Aloft showers have. On the other hand, the storage area around the sink is somewhat limited and because of the hip nature of the sink, you’ll find yourself storing most of your stuff on a glass shelf over the sink. The towels were of very good quality, well above what you see in other Choice properties.

Because of the quiet nature of the block surrounding the hotel, and the good sound insulation on the windows, no problems with noise from outside the hotel. Sadly, this is not so true of noise from the hallway and adjoining rooms. You will hear the ice maker in the hall operate, and you may very well hear the rumble of voices, if not the distinct words of conversations, from adjoining rooms. This was the most disappointing aspect of my stay—with a building so clearly completely refurbished why poor-quality sound insulation was used is beyond me.

Breakfast is not included here at the restaurant, which is located on the ground floor on the backside of the hotel, including a small patio area. This was my first stay at a Cambria, but I understand that Cambria does not guarantee the standard Choice free breakfast across the chain although I have read that some locations do offer that amenity. Not much of a problem as Panera, Starbucks, and McDonald’s, amongst others, have locations within a block, but obviously, this would be more of a concern for a family of four as opposed to a solo traveler like me as breakfast then gets transformed from a $7 expense to $30 or more. Did not eat in the restaurant otherwise, but in checking out the menu, a basic American-style menu with burgers, sandwiches, etc. Because of the limited restaurant options on the hotel’s block, including that McDonald’s, I don’t really have any restaurant recommendations, but after all, this is New York—you’ll find something.

The star of the show, for me anyway, was the rooftop bar which has a direct view looking south at the new World Trade Center. Mostly drinks but there are a few food items that can be ordered from the downstairs menu. The bar operates only in fair weather as it’s totally exposed to the elements but does remain open after dark until 11 p.m. if I recall correctly. If you go to this hotel and the weather’s nice, definitely go up there.

As mentioned, rooms are offered currently for 20K per night, and I’d certainly consider this or the nearby Paul, also at 20K, over other, more expensive properties so long as the location is convenient. AAA and advance purchase rates for a weekend night at the end of June are around $300, so I consider this to be a very wise use of Choice points. I don’t know how long the 20K redemption will last as there will be another Cambria property coming online by the fall in the Times Square area, and it’s possible the management of this hotel decided to goose their business by offering good introductory redemption rates. I’ve tried to filter out the bias likely to occur from getting this hotel for 10K points, but with this hotel and the Paul both going for 20K, it’s possible that some of the concerns expressed here about Choice devaluations could be overwrought. I’d certainly return if they raised the rate to 30K per night, because I think the hotel is worth that, but I’ll return more frequently if 20K remains the norm.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Jun 18, 2015 at 10:26 pm Reason: Spelling correction
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I also stayed 2 nights at the Cambria Suites in Manhattan in mid May. I agree with the above review; it was a really nice hotel in all aspects. Wanted to stay again in early September; bummed that the rate is now 20,000 pts. I knew the 10,000 wouldn't last long so glad to have gotten it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Quality Inn & Suites, Vacaville, California

The beginning of a number of Choice stays in northern California for my summer vacation. Stayed here Sunday, 7/19. This hotel is your basic Choice property, just off an exit for I-80. At the end of a road and almost backed up against the interstate. I was lucky to get a room on the side away from the interstate, and I'd suggest you request a similar room if available. Vacaville is about half an hour from Napa and about an hour from Sonoma. You could use this hotel as a jumping off point for Napa. For Sonoma, stay tuned for a review of the Comfort Inn in Fairfield, which is a little closer to Sonoma.

Check in, check out, and staff interactions were pleasant, if brief. No issues arose during my stay.

As with many of the Quality properties I've stayed at lately, this seems to be a converted property--maybe it was a Motel 6 or a Travelodge. Room was adequate, nothing special. Everything was in relatively good repair, but a very odd shower situation with the nonadjustable showerhead just about eye level for my five-foot, nine-inch frame. I had to bend a little bit, and I could see that anyone over six feet would find this shower extremely uncomfortable. No issues with keeping the water temperature or pressure steady. Room wifi was acceptable although not blazing fast. TV is an old tube-style unit, approximately 32 inches. Standard cable channels.

No particular safety issues with the area other than it being at the end of a road next to the interstate--I know some people who are uncomfortable with those surroundings but I saw nothing during my stay to indicate that you'd face any problems.

King-size bed that was comfortable, perhaps surprisingly so in comparison with what I thought was a lumpy bed at the IC Mark Hopkins in San Francisco where I stayed the previous three days. I got a very solid night's sleep.

Did not have breakfast at the hotel but taking a quick glance at the breakfast room, it appeared to have the standard Quality offerings.

Not many restaurants in the immediate area, but across the parking lot is the Hide-A-Way Lounge and Grill--10% off if you show your room key! Following the road back to the exit, you'll see the standard chain offerings, including a Starbucks and a Jack in the Box. In fact, the portion of Vacaville I saw within a couple of miles of the hotel, accessed by following Orange Avenue from its dead end at the hotel through the city, seemed very chain oriented with tons of car dealerships and strip shopping malls, including a Premier Outlets. I ended up at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse several miles from the hotel. Pleasant and moderately priced, but I suspect you'd find something just as good by stopping at twenty places in between.

I paid $58 plus tax on an AAA rate. I can't imagine that this hotel ever goes much above $100, except for some special event that would be the tide that floats this boat. Given that range of prices, kind of hard to justify 10K, which is what the award cost would have been. It just feels as if it should be a 6K property.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Jul 24, 2015 at 8:35 pm Reason: Added information about the TV
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:25 pm

Comfort Inn Cordelia, Fairfield, California

Stayed here on Monday, 7/20. As mentioned above, this hotel is about 30 minutes from Sonoma and about 20 minutes to Napa, not far off Route 12, the main thoroughfare through the northern California wine country. The property is far enough away from 12 that you shouldn't have any issues with traffic noise, no matter where your room is located. No issues on check in or check out and both were quick.

The building and the rooms were well maintained. Flat screen TV in the room with the standard cable packages. Bed was comfortable, and the airconditioning worked well. Wifi was adequate.

Area is safe and filled with various businesses, including a veterinary clinic on one side as well as several other hotels, an Arby's, a Wendy's, and a McDonalds. Did not explore any of the local eateries but instead took a quick trip into downtown Napa which is very walkable and filled with decent restaurants. Morning breakfast was standard Comfort, including the frisbee eggs.

I paid $71 on a AAA rate. Currently 12K on points. Although if you can get the hotel for the price I paid, I wouldn't use points, I think that the hotel's condition and location would make it worth 12-16K.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:52 pm

Quality Inn & Suites, Santa Cruz Mountains, Ben Lomond, California

Stayed here Tuesday, 7/21. Older property, right on Route 9. The road is winding and twisty so you need to take special care in turning into or out of the property. A little bit of an issue with road noise, but Route 9 is not heavily traveled at night, and the soundproofing seemed adequate to take care of the amount of noise at that time of night. When this hotel is full, parking can be a bit at a premium, partly because of the odd, triangular parking area and partly because the lot itself is not level owing to the slope on which the hotel is built.

Very pretty locale, and the buildings, including two cottages, seemed well cared for. Small pool with flowers all around was a decent place to take breakfast in the cool of the morning. No maintenance issues around the property. Check in and out were quick, and very good staff interactions.

Flat screen TV with standard cable packages. Wifi was fairly slow. My biggest complaint, and I found it significant, was the bright night light/on-off switch next to the sink, which is located outside the bedroom. This is not an LED bulb, but instead the kind of night light that you'd probably put in a hallway not in a bedroom. As the light switch is built in, it cannot be unplugged, which means you may need a sleep mask to get a decent night's sleep. And right behind this complaint, the old AC unit was extremely loud, meaning some ear plugs might also help you sleep. These issues are a shame because the hotel is in such a lovely spot that I really wanted to love it, but I can't recommend it otherwise since first and foremost, I'm in a hotel to sleep.

Paid $90 on a AAA rate, but the price jumps significantly on the weekends, up to $225-260. 20K on points, which seems in line with the weekend prices, but as noted above, I just can't recommend staying here, despite almost everything else being good.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:39 am

Stayed at the Clarion Hotel Energy Stavanger recently, have to say it was one of the best ~$100 hotels I've stayed at. Brand new right next to DFB Arena and close to the mall. Furnishings were a little Ikea-like but modern and bright. Breakfast was high quality for sure - better than many Grand Hyatt/InterContinental's I've stayed at - great variety of hot options, drinks, and a few non-conventional breakfast options such as sardines, etc. Modern fitness centre with all the different weights machines setups. Occupancy was basically very empty. Location not great for downtown (10 minutes or so by bus), but otherwise a great value property.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Comfort INN Mt Airy,NC

Currently here. Had a nice stay clean room & an excellent Mexican Restaurant across the street.

Only problem the breakfast room is way to small. I would love to get the free breakfast, but looks like I'll give up at least the coffee is good ^
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Only problem the breakfast room is way to small. I would love to get the free breakfast, but looks like I'll give up
Many Comfort Inns with small breakfast rooms actually have signs saying it's ok to take your breakfast to your room. Whether there's a sign or not, I'd say it's ok, it's no worse than ordering take-out, right?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
That is exactly what my wife did. Since I'm a coffee drinker I just "hung out " outside & enjoyed the fresh air about 10-15 min. came back & got a table. Indeed they are small and I made a comment about it when I checked out. Like most of the Choice Hotels breakfast was just ok, but it's free
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:40 am

Ended up at the Comfort Hotel Nagoya Chubu/Centrair recently, fairly decent walk-up rates of 9800 JPY. Free breakfast but not quite to my liking (eggs were very runny etc). Connected to the airport by a bridge, so it's a 1 minute walk. Room was typical Japan - clean and functional, but not much else. Fitness center was available - cardio machines only, no weights. Overall decent for the price and a good option for an NGO overnight.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Quality Suites Scottsdale Near Old Town - Tempe, AZ

This is not a good hotel.

First of all, the location is a complete fabrication. The hotel isn't even in Scottsdale and is at least 7 miles from Old Town. It's in North Tempe on Rural Road next to a Quick Trip gas station and near several bars, restaurants and liquor stores. You're a 15 minute drive to PHX and about 25 minutes to Downtown Phoenix.

Check in was a bad experience. I showed up at 2:20 and was greeted with "we're not checking anyone in until 3". When I came back, I endured 10 minutes of the agent struggling to check me in. Also, they have an outright bribe posted to try and get better reviews (they'll give you $15 if you write a good one and show it to them before you post it).

The room was okay, though furniture is worn out. I was never given a Wifi code and I tried calling the front desk half a dozen times and no one ever answered.

I stayed here because I needed a cheap place to shower and change between hiking and a wedding. It's fine for that purpose but not much else.

Grade: C-
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:33 am

Quality Inn, Exmore, VA (Eastern Shore)
https://www.choicehotels.com/virgini...rce=gglocaloz1

Formerly a Best Western, converted to QI in Spring 2015. I've been staying at this place for several years with the Bike MS event (May) and the CBES cycling event (October). In general, hotels on the Eastern Shore of VA are few and far between, and Exmore is largely the hub now - Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are just down the highway.

As of my October 24/25 stay, the north wing of the hotel is closed for the season and for on-going restoration/upgrade/mods to Quality Inn "standards" from the former BW. I was in a second-floor king room (south wing) overlooking the pool. The room was in excellent shape overall, clean, good wifi signal (code: exmoreqi), fluffy pillows, etc. My girlfriend didn't bring her own hairdryer, and the wall mounted one in the bathroom kept overheating and shutting off on her. Only other complaint was the in-room coffee wasn't well-serviced by housekeeping - and only one damn filter pack... And there's no way that's a 4-cup pot!

The hallways were a mess. Renovations are obviously in progress, as there was paint/popcorn overspray on the carpets and hall lights, and the baseboard/footer trim had been removed.

ADA: There is currently no elevator in this hotel. Access to the second floor is by stairs only. Unknown if this is part of the renovation (probably has to be....?).

Security: Have stayed here numerous times as noted for cycling events. Good exterior lighting and interior CCTV. In the past, we've always brought our bikes into the room - this time chose to leave them locked on the rack (as did other groups). Kind of a gamble, with our two bikes worth about $5k (her's is worth far more than mine... ) No issues. Perimeter doors are key-carded and secure after dark.

Staff: very friendly, courteous, helpful. (see note above about in-room coffee service - that was the only fault). The lady in the breakfast bar was like everyone's favorite grandmother...

Check in / Check out: Flawless. Paid an $87 best available rate for two nights. Didn't pay attention to the points, I'm new at this.

Local topics of interest:
The adjacent SAGE Diner is closed, permanently.
If you're into MS - there's a Family Dollar about 200 yards from the hotel.
About 3 miles south is the shopping center - virtually adjacent to the Holiday Inn and across the street from the Hampton Inn - Food Lion, Peebles, and most importantly, the ABC (state alcohol) store. Also a cluster off fast food joints and a couple of banks.
The "Great Machipongo Clam Shack" --- seafood was "ok" - wouldn't list as "great."
The nearby Exmore Diner is very small - you will have to wait for a booth (there's only 6) - but the omelets are tasty, as are the home fries with onions.
Highly recommend a visit to Chatham Vineyard - about 15m south on US13.
Highly recommend a visit to the town of Cape Charles - with special attention to the olive oil store "Drizzles" on Strawberry Street - stop there every time to stock up on "Morrocan Green" oil, peach balsamic vinegar, and a black Hawaiian sea salt.

Bonus: While I've never used it, the hotel offers an outside work station for "free" boat/fish cleaning.

Location: Right on US-13, about 40 miles north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (connecting to Virginia Beach), and about 10 miles away from the YMCA Camp Silver Beach.

Last edited by Gimpyknee; Oct 29, 2015 at 2:14 am
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Comfort Hotel Royal, Zurich, Switzerland

Last year, we spent a night in the Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, Switzerland. More pictures and details are available in this post of my FT Trip Report: Austria, Switzerland & Warsaw - Flying in J (OS, LX & LO 787) Riding Trains & Hiking!

The hotel was easy to find. We arrived at the hotel around 1:30pm. Official check-in time is 2:00pm. However, we were promptly checked-in before then. Initially, the information for our reservation showed a rate of 239 CHF instead of 25,000 points. I pointed it out and they corrected it right away. The lobby was small, but, also has additional areas around the corner and a smoking room down the hall.

We booked a “Superior Room” but were upgraded to Junior Suite with a second bed (a murphy bed) and a sitting area. It was on the 6th of 7 floors (oddly, the elevator goes only to the 6th floor; those staying on the 7th must take an additional flight of stairs). The windows faced Lake Zurich and had a decent view of the Old Town and mountains in the distance. The room was a good size and the bathroom was quite large. The bathroom had both a tub with shower and a separate steam-shower/sauna. There was also a juliet balcony.

The location was fantastic. We could walk to most of the sights and attractions we wanted to visit within a matter of minutes. The hotel was also fairly quiet.

We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning. We were the first to arrive but it was fairly busy by the time we left as there isn’t a lot of seating. It had a good variety of breakfast items and we were glad to have it included in the rate.

If we returned to Zurich, we would consider staying here again.

Photo Below: Exterior – Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, Switzerland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.