Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

Since we all know that Choice Hotels quality can be very inconsistent from property to property, I thought I'd start a thread where we can all relate experiences at different properties to help us locate the good ones and avoid the bad ones.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista:

This property is an all-suite property with true 1-bedroom suites. The property is fairly new and until last year was a Palomino Suites, unaffiliated with Choice. The staff is friendly and efficient.

The suites are spacious and clean. They include a small full kitchen with refrigerator, stove, microwave, and even basic utensils, glasses, and flatware.

The included breakfast is pretty average, with continental breakfast items and a waffle-maker. The breakfast area is large enough that we've never had a problem finding a table, even at peak times.

The property is located just a mile or so from the Disney entrance on SR 535, and a 10-15 minute drive to any Disney park. There are loads of restaurants within walking distance and a short drive away.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: MP Premier Exec, HH Silver, SPG, MR, CP-D, AGR S+
FYI, I believe Choice Hotels designates properties that meet some type of internal excellence standard with gold or platinum award icons.

I've seen these award icons diplayed on the far right side of a property's listing when I pull up locations using city & state in the Search Hotels function on choicehotels.com
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:09 am

I use Choice Hotels every week. In my opinion:

Comfort Inn's never bad, some could use a little upgrade

Sleep Inn's are usually the best, most are brand new

Quality Inn's you really have to watch, the new ones are most of the time alright
Ingrid likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by Chevy178
I use Choice Hotels every week. In my opinion:

Comfort Inn's never bad, some could use a little upgrade

Sleep Inn's are usually the best, most are brand new

Quality Inn's you really have to watch, the new ones are most of the time alright
I have checked in and out of Choice properties 3 times in last 3 weeks. I am Elite Plt and have found it very diffcult to stay at Choice now. properties are dumps and find myself not even looking anymore. It is easier to stay with hilton or marriott.

Is there some way to build a spreadsheet of properties to stay away from?? Man I could put down dozens not to stay at!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loboclone
Is there some way to build a spreadsheet of properties to stay away from?? Man I could put down dozens not to stay at!
I had thought about it, but there's just too many properties in the US.

I use Choice as a reasonable alternative - that is, the price is usually right (I pay for my own) and generally all I need is a place to sleep for the night, some sort of decent breakfast, and a points/miles promotion to score on. I do no entertaining in the hotel. So, my requirements are price, security, and a reasonable degree of cleanliness.

If your personal standards are more toward Courtyard, Garden Inn, or full service property, you might be better served by the Clarion or Cambria line, or else move over to Hilton/Marriott.

Yes, I have run into the odd dodgy property or two, but bear in mind, I try to make every hotel stay mean something besides a receipt at the end of the day. That is, I'm following the promotions. So if an additional stay is needed for a big slug of points or miles, I just watch a little TV, screw around on the computer (they almost always have free wi-fi), read, and then crawl into bed. As long as the place is fit for human habitation, I'm OK.

The points and miles go to places that really are something special, and there I'm much more picky.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clarion Stockholm

My son has asked for help on a trip to Stockholm. I can't do much about the airlines, but for a place to stay, I checked out my Choice spreadsheet.

I came up with the Clarion Stockholm.

Tripadvisor has some very nice reviews of the place, and the best part is the award rate has been reduced to 10,000 points/night!

This starting to compare favorably with the Lisbon Clarion.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL,UA
I have stayed in over 20 choice hotels in the past 12 months, I will list the best and worst 3 in my experience'

Best 3
1.Clarion Jaksonville Airport (Jacksonville, FL) Premium breafast buffet
2.Comfort suites Universal studios (Orlando, FL)-Clean and nice staff
3.Sleep inn DFW airport( Irving, TX)- Neat

worst 3
1.Quality Inn & Suites (Warren, MI)
2.Comfort Inn North (Columbus, OH)
3.Rodeway Inn (Houston,TX)-Trash
Ingrid likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:31 am

One to be avoided: Comfort Hotel and Suites LAX on W Century Blvd.: dirty, noisy rooms.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:40 am

In my several hundred Choice stays, not many stick out in my mind, but a few have. In general, I agree that Sleeps are the most consistent and that "Qualities" can be some of the worst.

The Worst

Quality Inn- San Angelo, TX: I had to change rooms 4 times to get one without a 1/2" gap under the door and various and sundry insects flying about. I have stayed in cleaner places for $5 in El Salvador.

Clarion- Albany, NY: This is a 10 or so storey building with a motor-lodge attached to the back. The lobby is decent, but the rooms are hoorendously bad, and the neighbourhood is fairly dodgy, as this is in Albany.

Comfort Inn- STL: This was a Doubletree up until a couple of years ago. I don't think any maintenance has been done since the mid-80s.

Quality Inn- Montgomery, AL (South): A nasty old motor-lodge in a bad part of town. The Hampton a couple of miles up the road is cheaper and far nicer.

The Best

Clarion- PDX: New and very close to PDX. A restaurant would be nice, but the hotel still smeels new and the staff was very pleasant.

Clarion- Montreal, QC (Ste. Catherine): It looks like this used to be an apartment complex, and, consequently, all of the rooms are suites and fully equipped as such. It's slightly dated, but if you get a room on the 15th storey or above, the views are great. The biggest downside is that the closest parking garage is 3 blocks away and is pricey.

I'm staying almost exclusively in Hilton properties now, as my new corporate overlord has a contract with them. I can't really say that I miss anything other than the ease of turning points into miles.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
[QUOTE=PASTORJ;9297851]

1.Clarion Jacksonville Airport (Jacksonville, FL) Premium breafast buffet

Definitely a case of YMMV. I used points for a stay here in December 2006(only 6000 in off season-that was a ^) & was treated like a pariah. I reserved a K & was shunted to the farthest corner of the property to a DD room, when I hiked back to the desk to inquire, I was told there were no more K's, but then I got an "oh, wait" & received a key to a K room("it's our last NS K"), which was standing wide open when I got to it. After making sure no one else was in the room, I went to bed. My "premium" buffet the next morning was a basket of wrapped pastries, if I wanted more I could pay $7.95.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:32 am

Manhattan options

I see many Choice properties in Manhattan. Any suggestions as to which are nicest or ones to avoid? I want burn my points on Friday and Saturday nights stays without the kids.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sent my son to the hotel on 34th street a couple of months ago. At the time, it was 16,000 points/night, now it's 20,000.

He reported all was well -- nothing outstanding. But with a rack rate of about $400/night (pretty common in NYC), it sure was a heckuva bargain.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: status-less.
Stayed at Sleep Inn Phoenix North in March 2008.
<P>
The good: relatively quiet location, relatively new property, generally clean throughout. Housekeeping staff were prompt and responded to requests.

The "could be better" : breakfast was nothing but carbs (bagels/waffles/sugar cereal, mini-muffins,fruit). Well, I guess they did have yogurt. Also, driving around there is a bit odd. They are located at a "dual" intersection with I-17 and you have to take the on-ramp north to the next street to get to any eating/shopping opportunities. All the other north/south streets are blocked. Pool/hot tub are outside and small. Our room only had a shower, no tub.

The "needs improvement": The staff at the front desk was highly variable. Two of the three we interacted with were clueless and/or rude, but one was a great guy who really tried to be extra helpful. Also, the value. There's a "suites" edition of another chain immediately next door that offers bigger, nicer rooms (albeit no pool) for 20% less.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold, UA Silver, SW, Frontier
Quality Inn Sioux Falls, SD

I just spent a night at the Quality Inn in Sioux Falls off of I-29. Very clean and well kept. Definitely didn't feel like a Quality Inn property. Price was very good for the area. I find that Sioux Falls is highly overpriced due to the lack of rooms in the city but this was a good deal. I had a one bedroom suite with a whirlpool tub for $89.99. I normally spent $119 in that city. The hotel is right off the interstate and next to a truck stop but I didn't hear much noise. The only complaint I had is that the hotel isn't near any restaurants but for a night, it was no problem for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.