Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It seems the word "resistance" has been dropped in favor of "groin area". TSA is still too cowardly to use the word "genitals".

Definition of groin from Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groin
The same lie can only be used for so long, even TSA knows that. TSA must have hired grifters for their academy.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The same lie can only be used for so long, even TSA knows that. TSA must have hired grifters for their academy.
"Groin area" includes genitals in the same way the New York area includes New Jersey.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
My worst nightmare was living in a 'papers, please' society where I had to produce papers on demand.

Now I live in a society where I have to spread my legs on demand.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
On Friday I was selected for random screening at DEN in the Pre line. The pat down was fairly perfunctory. He ran his hands down my thighs and send me on my way.

An onlooking pax then told me, unprompted, that she was watching in case I needed a witness. ^
Unfortunately, that's a good idea.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:13 am

I'm not paying for the room would be my response. And I don't kiss on the first date. Things are really ridiculous in the states. Luckily I can avoid it as I hit stateside maybe once a year. I feel for my fellow travellers.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Odd one on Tuesday. I am PC and got a random through the metal detector. Had to use the NOS. I took nothing out of my pockets. I left my belt on. I had an electronic device around my neck that interfaces with hearing aids (medical), pockets full of paper and other items and shoes on. I thought I would get a plethora of "alarms." They only needed to check my right ankle and the small of my back.

What was this?

I then got a very perfunctory bag rape. I always get these, some worse than others.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Odd one on Tuesday. I am PC and got a random through the metal detector. Had to use the NOS. I took nothing out of my pockets. I left my belt on. I had an electronic device around my neck that interfaces with hearing aids (medical), pockets full of paper and other items and shoes on. I thought I would get a plethora of "alarms." They only needed to check my right ankle and the small of my back.

What was this?

I then got a very perfunctory bag rape. I always get these, some worse than others.
I thought SOP for any kind of an alarm on NOS was a full body grope, which was instituted because screeners have "cognitive burdens" in determining which search to use.

So you are saying although you had all this forbidden matter on you, the machine alarmed only on your right ankle and the small of your back, where nothing was found?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
sigh. pro se.

good luck.

hopefully, the poster can get good legal assistance.

I didn't need a pacer account to view it.
Well, all of your concerns about a pro se are duly noted. However, notwithstanding the judge's comments about some of those problems, yesterday (7/11/17) he issued a 29 page opinion which logically and clearly stepped through the Bivens analysis and, while the judge expressed significant concerns about proof and procedure, he found that the TSA arguments about "national security" concerns were not supported, that their contention about an "alternative remedy" going through the TSA contact center was worthless, and he denied qualified immunity. So the case is going to proceed. Congratulations to a tenacious plaintiff.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Well, all of your concerns about a pro se are duly noted. However, notwithstanding the judge's comments about some of those problems, yesterday (7/11/17) he issued a 29 page opinion which logically and clearly stepped through the Bivens analysis and, while the judge expressed significant concerns about proof and procedure, he found that the TSA arguments about "national security" concerns were not supported, that their contention about an "alternative remedy" going through the TSA contact center was worthless, and he denied qualified immunity. So the case is going to proceed. Congratulations to a tenacious plaintiff.
thanks for the update. ha. so the pro se is makin' em sweat! good!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower

Is a link to the courts opinion available?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I found it on Pacer where I have a subscription. Send me an email and I will send a copy to you.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...0013/357297/70

I think this is it, and I have no subscriptions.

Congrats to the plaintiff and good luck. If I read this right and especially if he has any additional success, risk of screeners being sued individually might deter the sort of abuses that we hear about so often.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I really love flying. It's the TSA grope that I find humiliating and sometimes terrifying. I am in a wheelchair. Having random strangers run their hands up and down my body, feel my breasts, run their hands (and sometimes fingers) into my vaginal area, makes me consider each trip carefully. I have cut back on travel each year, as my tolerance for this stuff simply decreases. None of this makes me feel safer. It makes me feel sad. And violated.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I thought SOP for any kind of an alarm on NOS was a full body grope, which was instituted because screeners have "cognitive burdens" in determining which search to use.

So you are saying although you had all this forbidden matter on you, the machine alarmed only on your right ankle and the small of your back, where nothing was found?
Yes. Furthermore, I know it was a random because I was a full step outside the metal detector before it beeped, long enough that I thought maybe someone had come through behind me. When I was asked to step into the NOS I assumed that it was just as a passage to the area where I would be frisked so I walked completely through without stopping. The screener stopped me and said that I should go back and stand on footprints. All of this time I am taking a mental inventory of everything that will alarm and I am certain the display will light up like the White House Christmas tree. Nope. Ankle and small of back both places where there was nothing to find. The little device for my hearing aids was on a strap under my shirt and sort of looks like a detonator from the movies.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearing-Aid-S...ticon+streamer

I do not travel as much as I used to, but the TSA continues to surprise me.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentff
https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...0013/357297/70

I think this is it, and I have no subscriptions.

Congrats to the plaintiff and good luck. If I read this right and especially if he has any additional success, risk of screeners being sued individually might deter the sort of abuses that we hear about so often.
I see on page seven a mention of two FT members, past or present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.