Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if the boy were an adult man at the airport screening checkpoint, there would still be no good reason for the TSA to touch the person like this.
I agree completely. What really makes one grasp at TSA's reasoning is how a grope down mitigates an alarm on some other physical item. The same logic would suggest that if passenger A alarms the screening for that alarm should be a carry on bag.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Where is the apology? I don't see one at that link.
The first paragraph of her Facebook post (emphasis added):

I finally received a call from TSA's civil rights and liberties division. Yesterday evening we conferenced with several of their representatives at headquarters for over an hour. They have suggested to me a 3 part plan to help address the shortcomings that led to the situation on Sunday and did apologize for our experience that day.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by spd476
Then tell the screener that the herpes are so bad that doctor has to get special gloves to protect himself. The normal blue ones (or whatever color the TSA is using that day) offer no protection against that particular strain.
May I suggest:

"Now that you've completed touching me, I feel I should inform you that my doctor has informed me that I have been colonized by an aggressive form of MRSA. If I had known your patdown was going to be so invasive I would have informed you in advance. You may want to ask your doctor about if you should complete a course of aggressive antibiotics first."

And then just walk off leave the "office" wondering how sick he's going to get...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Where is the apology? I don't see one at that link.
You won't see the "apology" in action at the airport.

The "apology" from the TSA was so "meaningful" that the TSA was doing this same thing to children and adults at airports even after the "apology" too, yesterday included.

The TSA "apology" is just cheap words when the manifested intent is to continue with the same fondling of genitals that they did to her son and to co-opt the complaint and complainant in order to do so.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The first paragraph of her Facebook post (emphasis added):
Apologized for her experience but not for what TSA did.

We're sorry you think we abused you is no apology and that is essentially what TSA said.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You won't see the "apology" in action at the airport.

The "apology" from the TSA was so "meaningful" that the TSA was doing this same thing to children and adults at airports even after the "apology" too, yesterday included.

The TSA "apology" is just cheap words when the manifested intent is to continue with the same fondling of genitals that they did to her son and to co-opt the complaint and complainant in order to do so.
Exactly. All TSA is trying to do is buy her silence by helping them to "address their shortcomings"
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're sorry you think we abused you is no apology and that is essentially what TSA said.
That's their standard drivel: "We regret that the passenger was upset by the screening experience." or something like that.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
That's their standard drivel: "We regret that the passenger was upset by the screening experience." or something like that.
Unfortunately, many people don't apply their mind enough to understand that this is the classic non-apology from spokeshole-type people meant to make the gullible think there was an apology for the disturbing action even as there was no apology for the action given by the perpetrators/defenders of the disturbing action.

Even if the TSA were to give a verbal apology for engaging in disturbing actions, their actions speak louder than their words: the TSA is still feeling up passengers' genitals in the very same way as they did to the boy.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:49 am

I propose a Depends week at the airport. Every passenger would wear a Depends undergarment through security to bring TSA to a halt. :-)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Had an interesting variation this week... screener insisted that I stand with one leg forward when he did the groin-chop move. Not sure what his motivation was but it ensured an additional two genital contacts during the screening.

Four instances of direct genital contact in one screening.

At this same checkpoint, the MMW was throwing alarms on nearly every passenger. Long patdowns. Don't worry, they let around 10 people go thru the WTMD while I was waiting for my patdown, since the MMW was so slow.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:39 pm

I don't disagree. And, of course, what we have is the report of what the mother said TSA said, rather than a direct statement from TSA. It's hard to tell what form the apology took without directly hearing the words.

But even a poor non-apology is still technically an apology.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I don't disagree. And, of course, what we have is the report of what the mother said TSA said, rather than a direct statement from TSA. It's hard to tell what form the apology took without directly hearing the words.

But even a poor non-apology is still technically an apology.
A non-apology is worse than no apology. It's an insult—an implicit assumption that the recipient is too stupid, lazy or afraid to reject it.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Even if the laptop alarmed for explosive residue how does an aggressive pat down of this boy resolve that alarm? Why not use the one tool that TSA has that detects explosive residue? The evidence as seen in the video and using just simple logic points again to TSA retaliation, nothing more.
Just assuming what the TSA claims is the reason for the groping and using their logic, the swipe strip tested at the end of the grope tests for residue so therefore it's good enough to clear an alarm on the laptop that belongs to the boy.

Laptop>laptop owner>TSA gloves>test strip

which is a really tenuous transfer chain to rely on if actual screening is the goal rather than a system of CYA processes.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just assuming what the TSA claims is the reason for the groping and using their logic, the swipe strip tested at the end of the grope tests for residue so therefore it's good enough to clear an alarm on the laptop that belongs to the boy.

Laptop>laptop owner>TSA gloves>test strip

which is a really tenuous transfer chain to rely on if actual screening is the goal rather than a system of CYA processes.
It doesn't take a full body grope down to test for trace explosive residue.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
It doesn't take a full body grope down to test for trace explosive residue.
I'm not sure what the real reason is for these new abusive gropes. There may not be a logical reason, it may simply be TSA upper management responding with a random escalation to show that "we're doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING to correct the embarrassing 95% failure rate from last year's tests." Or they may have a hidden meaning of some kind, possibly related to the recent electronics ban. Or perhaps it is an intentional retaliation, since TSA seems to blame the traveling public for ALL of its own shortcomings (i.e. it's always the traveler's fault that something went wrong, even in cases of TSOs stealing or improperly using their badges to conduct sexual assaults in the stairwells).

Either way, a full-body rubdown with multiple direct genital fondlings is certainly not for the purpose of gathering residue for an ETD test. TSA already has a procedure in place for that - directly swabbing the travelers' hands with the sampling swab.

One small glimmer of hope here is that TSA, for all of their abusiveness and bluster, <deleted by moderator>, so eventually the extra work this process generates for the rank and file TSOs at the checkpoint will cause them to complain up the pipeline, and the targeted area pat-down will be restored. How long that takes is anyone's guess, but much like the "NoS for everybody!" policy, the "sexual assault for everybody who alarms the NoS!" policy will simply be too much work for the average TSO, and slow down the lines too much, to continue indefinitely.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:52 am Reason: Pejorative gross generalization

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.