Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Mats
I once had SSSS and knew about it in advance. I wore the smallest, tight-fitting shorts I own, along with a tight-fitting t-shirt.

That did not stop the screening from going inside of shorts, all over the t-shirt, and my bare arms and legs.

Even minimal and tight-fitting clothes offer no protection.
I'm referring more to reducing false positives at the nudeoscope. Once it has been decided you're going to get groped, it doesn't much matter what you're wearing. In fact, I'd prefer to be the total opposite if I was getting groped, like I was going back country skiing.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
This article contains the mother's Facebook post, describing in detail TSA's response.

https://consumerist.com/2017/03/31/t...ying-pat-down/
TSA's public statements have been that the TSA screeners followed proper procedure. No admission of any level of an error in this case.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/trans...security-check

But the Transportation Security Administration said in a prepared statement that it followed approved procedures to "resolve an alarm of the passenger's laptop."
http://www.nbc26.com/news/national/v...boy-goes-viral

TSA issued the following statement to Dallas's WFAA-TV regarding the incident:

“TSA allows for a pat-down of a teenage passenger, and in this case, all approved procedures were followed to resolve an alarm of the passenger’s laptop.
http://people.com/human-interest/mot...allas-airport/

A furious mother has posted a video of her young son with special needs being given a lengthy and invasive pat-down by a Transportation Security Administration agent – but the TSA says the screening was all within policy.
If a person or organization cannot admit error then there is no chance for improvement or change.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA's public statements have been that the TSA screeners followed proper procedure. No admission of any level of an error in this case.

If a person or organization cannot admit error then there is no chance for improvement or change.
They also don't realize that the problem isn't how the patdown was done. This isn't a procedural problem. The procedure itself is the problem.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:44 pm

Per the mother TSA has apologized now, here's her FB link:

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 31, 2017 at 2:59 pm Reason: Attempted to fix link to make it display - see my post below to see link
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
They also don't realize that the problem isn't how the patdown was done. This isn't a procedural problem. The procedure itself is the problem.
Several problems. The pat down of minors is not acceptable unless very strong reasons exist. Then it should be a law enforcement matter. At least most LEO's have a clue about the 4th amendment and limits of a body search.

Second, the alarm was not on the boy. The alarm was on a laptop computer, so claims TSA. How by any stretch of imagination does a pat down of the boy resolve that alarm. This was a case of abuse not security. Yet TSA will not take any responsibility for what happen.

If, as the mother claims, these actions were directed by an angry TSA screener then we have bigger fish to fry. That person has no business in a public service position. If they can't handle a few questions then move them to a non public work area or better yet fire them.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:56 pm

TSA asked Kristin Beck to work with them to improve the screening of transgender people, but as far as I know that went nowhere and transgenders are still treated poorly by TSA.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Several problems. The pat down of minors is not acceptable unless very strong reasons exist. Then it should be a law enforcement matter. At least most LEO's have a clue about the 4th amendment and limits of a body search.

Second, the alarm was not on the boy. The alarm was on a laptop computer, so claims TSA. How by any stretch of imagination does a pat down of the boy resolve that alarm. This was a case of abuse not security. Yet TSA will not take any responsibility for what happen.

If, as the mother claims, these actions were directed by an angry TSA screener then we have bigger fish to fry. That person has no business in a public service position. If they can't handle a few questions then move them to a non public work area or better yet fire them.
This TSA rubbing of even adult passenger genitals should be considered unacceptable.

If ordinary visitors to the White House don't have to endure getting their genitals groped by the government, there is no acceptable reason for the same person to have their genitals manually examined by the government as a condition to fly.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This TSA rubbing of even adult passenger genitals should be considered unacceptable.

If ordinary visitors to the White House don't have to endure getting their genitals groped by the government, there is no acceptable reason for the same person to have their genitals manually examined by the government as a condition to fly.
I agree but I draw the line of no pat downs of minors unless some very strong evidence can be presented to warrant that level of invasion. In the DFW case there was no reason for TSA to touch the boy. None what so ever!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I agree but I draw the line of no pat downs of minors unless some very strong evidence can be presented to warrant that level of invasion. In the DFW case there was no reason for TSA to touch the boy. None what so ever!
Even if the boy were an adult man at the airport screening checkpoint, there would still be no good reason for the TSA to touch the person like this.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mtbscott

https://www.facebook.com/jendemirecs...12022654500255
Let's if if the link displays when I post it:
Oh, well, it does not show up in my post, but it does display in the quote.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Let's if if the link displays when I post it:
Oh, well, it does not show up in my post, but it does display in the quote.
I'm seeing the same thing when I quote your post, can't see it in the original but it is here in the quote. Feel free to delete this post if/when you figure out what is happening.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:24 pm

If you can't get the Facebook link to work, the Consumerist link I posted previously (https://consumerist.com/2017/03/31/t...ying-pat-down/) has an embedded copy of her Facebook post.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:31 pm

Heck I'm this close to going through the checkpoint like I'm in a professional wrestling match in a pair of spandex trunks and nothing else.
Mankini!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by petaluma1
TSA asked Kristin Beck to work with them to improve the screening of transgender people, but as far as I know that went nowhere and transgenders are still treated poorly by TSA.
EVERYONE is treated poorly by TSA, not just transgenders.

Unfortunately, TSA is an equal opportunity abuser.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mtbscott

https://www.facebook.com/jendemirecs...12022654500255
Where is the apology? I don't see one at that link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.