Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:36 pm

AirBnB are fantastic! I've used them 5+ times all over the world. Just make sure they have a good review, and you're set!

Originally Posted by sonastride
I've been considering doing AirBnB for my upcoming trip to Copenhagen. Anyone have experience there?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:09 am

I've used AirBnb maybe 10 times and it was OK.
In Manhattan you can find places much cheaper and much better located than any hostels.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
I'm in an AirBnB in Playa Del Carmen. I am here doing a cave diving course, so just wanted a crash pad. It's a bedroom and bath in a 2bd/2ba apartment. $35 a night. All that is cool.

However, the owners aren't here, and they left their dog, a pug. A neighbor drops by to feed it and let it out. She told me to keep all the doors closed all the time, and when I lagged and left my bedroom door open, "Gizmo" went in and peed on the floor.

I am pretty sure it was personal.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:44 pm

I read the blog post mentioned in the previous post. I agree--definitely don't use AirBnB if you have a hotel or hostel option that you like better. It's true that some hosts do cancel, but this will show up on their profile, so if you book a property with a lot of reviews that has had no cancellations, your odds are pretty good. I'd be happy to use a hostel in many cases if they were in the same locations as the AirBnB options, but usually that's not the case. That said, next week I'll be staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel, right by Pike Place Market, for one night, as I want exactly that location and the price is right.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
That said, next week I'll be staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel, right by Pike Place Market, for one night, as I want exactly that location and the price is right.
That's a pretty decent location.

I used to fly into SEA at night, stay at IHA hostel near Green Tortoise location and catch morning ferry to Victoria. Pier 69 (IIRC) was (well, still is) walking distance, alas I'm guessing lease went way up with area becoming more popular and that hostel is no more

To bring it around back to Airbnb, I've found some OK locations in the area on the website, but so far haven't used any of them.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:47 pm

The Green Tortoise location has changed in the past couple years. Right now it's 105 Pike St., whereas it used to be 2xxx 2nd Avenue.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
The Green Tortoise location has changed in the past couple years. Right now it's 105 Pike St., whereas it used to be 2xxx 2nd Avenue.
Did not know they moved

Probably need to give them another look @:-)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I have tried AirBnB twice.

First time was a new host, it was fair - House with 3 guys in it, bathromm was not clean, room had a bed and no other furniture. I left an honest review, and since it was just me, it was still ok for $22.

2nd time was FANTASTIC, stayed with older couple [70's]. really nice, nice room, and a great breakfast. Even went out & bought whole wheat bagels for me! They had numerous excellent reviews, & I added mine as well. This was in Phoenix area.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:53 pm

First time was in south Africa for me. When you stay at a place make sure they have a/c if its in the summer. ^
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Reviews, reviews, reviews. Make sure they have good reviews, nice pictures, and you should be fine!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Added a few more experience, now in Bogotà.

Personally I'm starting to hate the increasing trend on Airbnb to list hotels, dressed like condo apartments, giving a spoiled Airbnb feeling.
At the point that the booked room is different than what is assigned upon check-in, due the multiple renting the X company has in the area or in the same building.

In less developed markets nearly half of the listings belong to organized groups or local business, which is something annoying and well far from what the Airbnb user expects.

If the Airbnb's fee-hunger won't adjust I will remind them booking.com does the same job better.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Creepy. The reason I wonder how many hosts enable the instant booking option, allowing a reservation without even glance at guests references, one of the main Airbnb feature.
In your case I wouldn't let him stay one more minute at my place.
Ps. Your link doesn't lead to any review.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Creepy. The reason I wonder how many hosts enable the instant booking option, allowing a reservation without even glance at guests references, one of the main Airbnb feature.
I never even considered using this option. The review system isn't perfect, but its better than nothing. I would guess that the only hosts who use instant booking are the ones who run their apartments like hotels and have several of them.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by tupungato
I've used AirBnb maybe 10 times and it was OK.
In Manhattan you can find places much cheaper and much better located than any hostels.
As a heads-up, pretty much any AirBnb rental in NYC that's for an entire apartment (rather than for a room in an apartment while the host remains in residence) is illegal.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:39 pm

I don't have a solution to this possible problem, but if I were an AirBnB host who had a problem with a scary and obnoxious guest, I'd actually be a bit nervous to leave a negative review. After all, he would certainly know where I lived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.