Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question to BA lurkers about Redemptions and Domestics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

As I live in Edinburgh we do a lot of redemptions in Business Class.

We all know that the rules allow you to use the lounges if connecting to F or J longhaul - even if the Domestic or European connection is in Economy. This is important for me as although I am Silver - we usually travel in a party of three.

I always travel with a copy of the rules because I usually always get challenged and told that we can't use the lounge on the Domestic. Once I produce the rules it's usually okay.

When you book Business Class redemptions the Long haul is in U class but the domestic books into X (economy redepmtion) - hence the line from the lounge people that "This is an economy flight".

If I book with money the Long haul is in J C D R or I and the domestic books into J or D so is Business UK and no questions asked in the lounge.

So my question to the BA lurkers is:

If you book a redemption in Business (U) and there is a domestic add on - why not ticket that in U Class as well - make U class a Business UK for Domestic - so the entitlement will be on the BP for lounge access and no embarrassing conversations with lounge people........???
Old May 23, 2008, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, FlyerTalk Evangelist XXVIII
The tickets are coded for a reason as you know.
Changing this process to avoid potential conflict, if indeed at all, in a BA lounge, would be counter productive. Carrying the rules around with you seems like a good idea nonetheless. The lounge staff appreciate this Im sure.
If I were a painter & decorator, and was painting a bedroom, I would just love to have the householder looking over my shoulder telling me I'd missed a bit.
Old May 23, 2008, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by kepiblanc
The tickets are coded for a reason as you know.
Changing this process to avoid potential conflict, if indeed at all, in a BA lounge, would be counter productive. Carrying the rules around with you seems like a good idea nonetheless. The lounge staff appreciate this Im sure.
If I were a painter & decorator, and was painting a bedroom, I would just love to have the householder looking over my shoulder telling me I'd missed a bit.
I'm not sure why it would be counter-productive - please elaborate?

Good thing you're not a painter or decorator then, because if you missed a bit I certainly wouldn't hire you!
Old May 23, 2008, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
If you book a redemption in Business (U) and there is a domestic add on - why not ticket that in U Class as well - make U class a Business UK for Domestic - so the entitlement will be on the BP for lounge access and no embarrassing conversations with lounge people........???
A domestic add-on as part of an international J or F award booking can book into U on the domestic. In fact, it should book into U. It will only book into X (or V for Golds?) if

a) U class is not available, they can select X instead

b) they do not know about U class on the domestics
Old May 23, 2008, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
A domestic add-on as part of an international J or F award booking can book into U on the domestic. In fact, it should book into U. It will only book into X (or V for Golds?) if

a) U class is not available, they can select X instead

b) they do not know about U class on the domestics
These were online redemptions so the system booked the Domestic into X.

On the one occasion the Domestic was ticketed in U - it still didn't show up as Business UK.

I'm not talking about changing any rules - I think that a business redemtion should be ticketed in the correct bucket and the bucket should be Business UK on a domestic.

And I'm sorry kepiblanc but if carrying around a copy of the rules is the difference between getting my family into a lounge as is my entitlement, or having to sit out on the concourse then I'm sorry if it upsets the lounge staff - but someone should have trained them properly.

And the last time I had my house decorated - they did miss a bit and I made them come back and do it again.....
Old May 23, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These were online redemptions so the system booked the Domestic into X.

On the one occasion the Domestic was ticketed in U - it still didn't show up as Business UK.

I'm not talking about changing any rules - I think that a business redemtion should be ticketed in the correct bucket and the bucket should be Business UK on a domestic.

And I'm sorry kepiblanc but if carrying around a copy of the rules is the difference between getting my family into a lounge as is my entitlement, or having to sit out on the concourse then I'm sorry if it upsets the lounge staff - but someone should have trained them properly.

And the last time I had my house decorated - they did miss a bit and I made them come back and do it again.....
Two issues then:

Online - it's a bug. It should book into U class (assuming it was available). I assume the formula is wrong, it is searching for X, and if not available for V. It should look first for U, before looking for X. Similar bug to the one if you do online award bookings in J to the US with domestic sectors, it puts you on AA into Y instead of F. It's an error.

The BP for a U class booking should show Business UK. That sounds like an error too. I've had U class BPs from NQY, which IIRC did show as Business UK. Not that it made any difference from that particular airport. But at least with a U class booking, surely the lounge agent can tap away so that "Lounge Computer says yes" ?
Old May 23, 2008, 8:15 am
Original Poster

But at least with a U class booking, surely the lounge agent can tap away so that "Lounge Computer says yes" ?
The lounge staff quote from the BAEC website which says that you can get into the lounge with Domestic Classes J C D I or Y......

"It doesn't say that U class is an eligible fare......"

They even have a list of the J C D I or Y codes written in big letters behind the desk.

Again why it would be better if U class definitely printed Business UK then there would be no argument.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your post prompted me to see what fare bucket my LHR-MAN is booked into coming off a CW EZE flight. It is in X, so will that mean problems for me and the missus getting into the Lounge I wonder?

I better go and print myself a copy of the rules.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Junior Jet Club
Trying to find the specific rules that apply - link anyone?
Old May 23, 2008, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lamancha
Trying to find the specific rules that apply - link anyone?
Here.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Junior Jet Club
Ahh, so specifically we ought to be producing The Connecting Passenger Rules.

Pity there is nothing directly addressing the booking class issue.
Old May 23, 2008, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, FlyerTalk Evangelist XXVIII

LOL, you are exactly the type of bloke tradesmen and anyone working in the service industry dreads and fears!
Old May 23, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

The BP for a U class booking should show Business UK. That sounds like an error too. I've had U class BPs from NQY, which IIRC did show as Business UK. Not that it made any difference from that particular airport. But at least with a U class booking, surely the lounge agent can tap away so that "Lounge Computer says yes" ?
From what i understand a business lounge is currently under construction at NQY
http://www.newquaycornwallairport.co...rticleid=40546
Old May 23, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Kepiblanc..... BA now use Non-BA / subcontracted staff in the regions, and it really is a training issue; eligible booking classes allow access, others usually don't. I would like to see a proper club product on domestics, (If it can be done to JER then why not?).
I also find it hard to accept that if you are travelling in FIRST (without status on BA miles)and you break your journey, they won't let you use the lounge.....

Last edited by Skipcool3; May 23, 2008 at 12:38 pm
Old May 24, 2008, 12:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I also find it hard to accept that if you are travelling in FIRST (without status on BA miles)and you break your journey, they won't let you use the lounge.....
Yep. They did that to me once. I was in a foul mood (as someone who tried to queue jump me at security would confirm), and they quoted the rule that the connection had to be on the same day. I think they noticed the look on my face and quickly said they'd make an exception in this case before I had chance to speak

That was in the day of BA staff at MAN. Not sure what would happen with Servisair.

Cheers,
Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.