Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Two years ago I received E 600 compo claim reply in 24 hours! Claimed again for new delay on Jan 28 this year and received E600 Mar 8 (with acknowledgement immediately and immediate response to chaser midway).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by El_LioN
Hi there,

Small query regarding compensation claim.

I flew on BA2285 (LCY->GVA) on the 1st of January, 2017. Flight started on time, but landing approach was aborted. Pilot said weather conditions in GVA were bad (fog). He waited a few moments, then informed us that we would be diverted to BSL (no second try of landing).

After landing in BSL, captain said that he wasn't able to land in these conditions in GVA due to a technical failure which appeared during the flight. Interestingly, the aircraft (G-LCYU) was also diverted the day before. Unfortunately, I have no other proof than my testimony of this information (supposed technical failure).

In short, the diversion management in BSL was kinda catastrophic (no BA crew there). We were offered a bus transfer to GVA and a ground staff member gave us our passenger rights form. We finally arrived with more than 5 hours of delay in GVA by bus.

I contacted BA customer service and claimed for a compensation. They are rejecting it on the reasons of extraordinary circumstances due to adverse weather conditions and denying that there was a technical failure.

I countered and explained that all other planes landed safely in GVA this day and told them about the pilote's message, but they are still denying.

I forwarded the case to the swiss autorities but would like to have your opinion on this. Thank you in advance.
Originally Posted by El_LioN
Small update on my case. I sent it in a form of a complaint to the Swiss autorities (OFAC), who told me they were not competent with this flight (to my surprise). They forwarded it to the british CAA, who told me they were also incompetent and directed me to file the case at the CEDR. I did it, and now CEDR is telling me that I have to get a final decision from BA or wait until 8 weeks have passed since initial complaint... What a burlesque situation...

Hi there,

I finally filed a complaint and opened a proceeding at CEDR after these 8 weeks.

I claimed 261/2004 compensation plus 50€ for the time lost with all the administration involved with the case. BA offered me 250€, without giving anymore information. Maybe I could have received a bit more, but I wasn't in the mood for starting tractations with BA.

I am still astonished of the behavior of the airline, who was first completely denying my claim, and finally settled easily in the CEDR procedure.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Thanks for all your help a couple of weeks regarding my delayed flight from Lagos. It wouldn’t have been so bad had I the symptoms of food poisoning not started a couple of hours before the flight!

I have now heard back from BA and been offered
€600 or 50k Avios. Anyway, this is a subjective question and everyone’s circumstances are different, but I’m wondering whether to take the cash or the Avios and would welcome some thoughts. I know there isn’t a universally right answer!! I’m leaning towards the cash, as it is obviously more flexible. In terms of Avios, we would use it towards a 241 (or maybe UuA) for a US trip in the future. We currently have 215k between us.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I know there isn’t a universally right answer!! I’m leaning towards the cash, as it is obviously more flexible. In terms of Avios, we would use it towards a 241 (or maybe UuA) for a US trip in the future. We currently have 215k between us.[/color]
Indeed if you have to ask the question, the answer is almost certainly cash. If, on the other hand, you know you can get more than (say) 1.5p value per Avios and no cheaper way of acquiring them than (approx) 1.1p each, it's Avios.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed if you have to ask the question, the answer is almost certainly cash. If, on the other hand, you know you can get more than (say) 1.5p value per Avios and no cheaper way of acquiring them than (approx) 1.1p each, it's Avios.
Well at 50k, it’s an interesting one. We wouldn’t ever buy expensive J or F fares, so UuA is more a chance to fly the higher cabin rather than money saved on buying those tickets. In addition to a few weekends in Europe, we travel to the US 1-2 times per year. For the last couple of years that has been a 241 and an ex-EU. We each have an Amex PP and I have the Gold card as well. I have some work travel, but as a Silver in Y, that doesn’t really contribute much to the Avios balance sheet.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Last week my flight from TXL to LCY was cancelled at short notice. (I received an email at 20:57 that the flight, due to depart at 07:05 the next day, had been cancelled).

I was automatically rebooked onto the next departure, at 11:55 (which would have resulted in a delay in arrival of almost 5 hours) but, as this was not convenient, phoned BA and rebooked again onto the 07:05 flight the following day.

I claimed EC/261 compensation from BA on the grounds that my flight had been cancelled. Today they have replied as follows:
Our crew can only fly a certain number of hours and this is primarily for your safety but also so we meet legal requirements. Because of the delay to your flight, our crew ran out of hours and weren’t able to complete the journey. Unfortunately, we didn’t have another team of crew available so we had to cancel your flight. We always want to maintain as stable an operation as possible. This isn’t only because of the disruption to our customers, but also because of how difficult it is to recover from a cancelled flight. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
Can this possibly be correct? A crew running out of hours due to a delay and there being no other crew available does not, to me, appear to be an "extraordinary circumstance" outside BA's control.

Is it worth pursuing this claim? If so, what should my very next step be?

Edit: I just had a further thought... the aircraft forming this service arrived in Berlin at about 21:00 the previous evening. How could a crew have been "out of hours", given that there was a 10-hour gap between arrival and departure?

Last edited by Misco60; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold
My nephew was supposed to be on BA162 on March 27th from TLV to LHR. On the evening of March 26th he got an email from BA that the flight was cancelled. His flight was the first part of a ticket from TLV to NYC, so he was just connecting in LHR to his BA flight to JFK that same day. They have rebooked him on the same flights on March 29th which is two days later.
Is he eligible for EU261 compensation because his source and final destination were both outside the EU. Both flights were BA. Supposedly the cancellation was due to crew issues, but unclear what issues exactly,
What compensation should he expect? Will BA try to pay him under the Israeli compensation law for cancelled flights which is less generous?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Misco60
I claimed EC/261 compensation from BA on the grounds that my flight had been cancelled. Today they have replied as follows:Can this possibly be correct? A crew running out of hours due to a delay and there being no other crew available does not, to me, appear to be an "extraordinary circumstance" outside BA's control.

Edit: I just had a further thought... the aircraft forming this service arrived in Berlin at about 21:00 the previous evening. How could a crew have been "out of hours", given that there was a 10-hour gap between arrival and departure?
You are right, not extraordinary. The time gap is correct, the crew do need a full 12 hours here, and that's the law, there is almost no wriggle room and BA are very strict in that area. But that's not your problem, BA have solutions open to them (rebooking you on to other airlines, for example) but decided not to do that. If you used the words EC261 in your complaint to BA, they should not have given the reply they have given (and normally they don't, incidentally).

I would now due the formal 16 days note marked at the top of the thread, clearly indicating the amount that you are seeking. Alternatively ask for the deadlock letter for CEDR, or claim via Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you are eligible for that. Of those, 16 days + MCOL seems the easiest in this precise scenario.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nombody
Will BA try to pay him under the Israeli compensation law for cancelled flights which is less generous?
My understanding is that BA will probably apply Israeli law in the first instance, in some cases it's more generous than EC261, but you are still free to claim EC261 for any shortfall on the Israeli payment. So I would claim initially under EC261 anyway, following the guide at the top of the thread, and stay on top of whatever BA offer. Note that your nephew is entitled to right of care expenses if they apply. Israel and Turkey are the only two countries outside Europe with this level of consumer protection, so in a way it's better than some of the alternatives!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Can this possibly be correct? A crew running out of hours due to a delay and there being no other crew available does not, to me, appear to be an "extraordinary circumstance" outside BA's control.

At a guess, the interval between STA of 2055 and STD of 0705 the next day allows the crew to take minimum rest. If the inbound aircraft arrives late, then the next departure would have to be delayed accordingly to make sure that the crew are legal.

Looking only at the information for the delayed LCY-TXL flight doesn't give you the full picture. Between all the tools available on the web, it looks like the delayed aircraft on 22 March was G-LCYV. Despite the cancellation of BA8490 on 23 March, the aircraft operated back to LCY that morning as a ferry flight using the flight number BA9750, taking off from TXL at about 0701 and landing at LCY at about 0744. It then operated BA8491 LCY-TXL (0820-1105) and BA8492 TXL-LCY (1140-1225), albeit with a 20-minute delay at one point.

My guess is therefore that although for some reason the crew couldn't legally operate BA8490 on 23 March with passengers, they could ferry the aircraft back to LCY so that it could operate its planned schedule for the day. But as the aircraft was only about 30 minutes delayed arriving at TXL on 22 March, I'm not sure why the operations couldn't tolerate that sort of delay on 23 March, especially as the aircraft ended up running about 30 minutes late by the time it had operated BA8492 back to LCY. So I wonder whether one of the crew had perhaps gone sick.

As some of the departure and arrival times will shortly become more difficult to get, this is some of the aircraft's activity on those two days:-
Code:
G-LCYV

BA8493 LCY-TXL 1315-1555 1344-1613
BA8494 TXL-LCY 1710-1755 1717-1805
BA8495 LCY-TXL 1825-2105 1858-2128

BA8490 TXL-LCY 0705-0750 CANX
BA9750 TXL-LCY           0701-0744 (take-off / land)
BA8491 LCY-TXL 0820-1100 0840-1117
BA8492 TXL-LCY 1155-1240 1206-1251
BA8706 LCY-EDI 1540-1700 1547-1656
BA8709 EDI-LCY 1730-1900 1746-1920

Last edited by Globaliser; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:41 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
My guess is therefore that although for some reason the crew couldn't legally operate BA8490 on 23 March with passengers, they could ferry the aircraft back to LCY so that it could operate its planned schedule for the day. But as the aircraft was only about 30 minutes delayed arriving at TXL on 22 March, I'm not sure why the operations couldn't tolerate that sort of delay on 23 March, especially as the aircraft ended up running about 30 minutes late by the time it had operated BA8492 back to LCY. So I wonder whether one of the crew had perhaps gone sick.
Thanks for the information, and for going to the trouble of getting the aircraft movements.

This is getting a little complicated. If, as c-w-s says (and I'm sure he's absolutely right), the crew needs a minimum of 12 hours' rest overnight then the crew that operates the inbound BA8495 could not be the same crew that takes BA8490 back to LCY the next day because the time between arrival and departure is only about 10 hours. So where did the crew that would have operated BA8490 on 23/03 come from, and why were they out of hours? Presumably, they would have arrived in TXL on another BA flight the previous day?

I replied to BA, making it absolutely clear that I was making an EC261 claim for the cancellation, pointing out that crew being out of hours is not normally considered an "extraordinary circumstance" and asking them to reconsider their initial refusal of compensation. They replied very quickly, as follows:
Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states that a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove that the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means you’re not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.
So, still no closer to understanding exactly why this claim is being refused.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I replied to BA, making it absolutely clear that I was making an EC261 claim for the cancellation, pointing out that crew being out of hours is not normally considered an "extraordinary circumstance" and asking them to reconsider their initial refusal of compensation. They replied very quickly, as follows:So, still no closer to understanding exactly why this claim is being refused.
I really wouldn't waste time trying to fathom this out. Just give 16 days notice or ask for deadlock. They have got this wrong, and you will need the legal team to look at this rather than CR.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I hope nobody minds too much me asking this here as it does not relate to BA but wanted some advise from the learned members on here who have experience if such matters. I am looking at using mcol against a service provider and have a few questions. If anybody is willing to help please could you send me a PM and I can ask directly. Thank you.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Blue :(, Emirates Skywards, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hi guys, long time lurker finally in need of some advice!

I was delayed arriving into IAD on BA217 last month; the first of two incidents with rodents onboard that week. The flight was initially delayed due to the mouse being found on board and they quickly made the decision to switch to the standby A380. The captain informed us that said standby plane was available but had suffered a lightning strike on its inbound journey so would need checking by maintenance before coming back into service.

We eventually got the replacement and landed at IAD well over the 4 hours needed for compensation.

I got my initial dismissal from BA in the form of:

Your claim’s been refused because BA0217 on 22 February 2017 was delayed because of security or safety reasons, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled.
I asked for this to be reviewed based on the fact that:
  1. Rodents on board a plane should be preventable through adequate maintenance
  2. Two separate aircraft suffered from this that week; certainly not extraordinary
  3. The replacement was unavailable and contributed significantly to the delay

My most recent reply came:
I’ve reviewed your claim and our position hasn't changed. Your flight BA217 on 22 February was delayed as there was a late aircraft change. This meant we had no option but to delay your flight.
And finally to my question...do you think that this is worth pursuing any further? I'm unsure if it's reasonable to expect compensation on this and wondered if anyone on either this or the San Francisco flight that week had any luck or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slanty
And finally to my question...do you think that this is worth pursuing any further? I'm unsure if it's reasonable to expect compensation on this and wondered if anyone on either this or the San Francisco flight that week had any luck or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks very much!
slanty, welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, and please make yourself at home. Welcome on board.

My view is that your analysis is correct, and that this isn't extraordinary enough. Had they got airborne, discovered a mouse, diverted, then they may have a case - the word extraordinary does have a commonsense meaning here. But as you say, the BA pussy must have been napping, there was more that could have been done to reduce rodent residence. Such as improved cleaning.

Anyway I think you are ok to move to MCOL now, or CEDR. I don't think BA have a strong case here, though I can see it could be argued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.