Wiki Posts
Search

Examples of Gold treatment in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

A couple days ago on BA16 SYD-SIN, the inflight manager shortly after takeoff came by to greet me (presumably because I am BA Gold) in Y. She also asked me if I wanted a premium Y headset, which I happily said yes to. Got a few jealous glares in the process from other passengers.

Turns out the premium Y jacks are different from the cheap Y ones and I couldn't plug them in. I think she was trying to be helpful and go above and beyond, but I was left disappointed as I couldn't use them anyway.

What other examples of special treatment have you seen given to Gold passengers travelling in Y?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:51 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

Champagne from CW
Blankets from CW
Use of the CW Kitchen

To name but a few of the wee treatments I have had.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: ABBA
New WTP, including in the 773, comes with noise cancelling earphones like CW with built in 3.5mm jack and 2.5mm jack for power. Old WTP on the 747 etc comes with closed cup headphones with a single 3.5mm jack.

You can use either of them on a mobile or mp3 player, but the power jack does mean you can't use the noise cancelling ones on non-noise-cancelling interfaces.

On the original subject, I slept for the first half of my ET flight from Rome in September. When I woke up the CSD had left a sandwich and drink on the empty middle seat for me. She them popped back later to check I was ok, she had been concerned that I was so far back until she realised the leg room in 22F on the a321.

Ive had champagne in WTP before, and offer of a paper in wT (is that normal service?) and regardless of status it's standard service for access to the CW kitchen and 'freshers for WTP passengers, most of whom have paid more than CW anyway.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:53 am

Access to the CW kitchen is standard service for whom?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Got welcomed by the CSM (at my seat) on a recent LHR-JFK flight and also asked at the end if the crew had been good to me.

Completely ignored on the return outside of the normal food/drink runs.

Fuller return flight that may or may not have had some bearing on it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Access to the CW kitchen is standard service for whom?
Where does it say anything about 'standard'? 'Unofficial' would be the word I'd have used....
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
CSMs are on MF so not on the JFK flights.
JFK LHR flights are very busy for the CSD which allows us little time to do the Gold welcomes.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:52 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

My experience in 6 months of gold is the treatment in ET, CE and CW is exactly the same as silver, bronze or blue.

And I'm still waiting for my Golden Ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andset1191
And I'm still waiting for my Golden Ticket.
Do you not have the electronic one on the left hand side of your My Executive Club, towards the end of the screen?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
have had personal welcomes from the senior crew member in Y (and sometimes CSD / CSM).

have been offered champagne (and declined as a non-drinker).

have been offered CW headset (which I seem to rememeber once working and once not).

Been told to ask for anything I needed.

Quite a few of the above happened on one flight when I had two silvers (they had their luggage tags proudly on display) sitting next to me. They were clearly wondering who this Mr chris1979 was to receive such "special" treatment.

I always make a point of having a chat with the crew though (unless I feel I am in their way) and often get asked "are you crew / one of us / work for BA / work in travel / a journalist". Sometimes just after an innocent "are you on back-to-backs".
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Depends on the flight... almost always called by name when boarding; but occasionally get a personal welcome at the seat; quite often get a smile and a personalised good-bye though. Perhaps they're glad to see the back of me?

Never have been offered any special perks though when travelling Y.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If I can I offer a bottle of water and WT plus headset, the CW ones do not work in WT.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
She also asked me if I wanted a premium Y headset, which I happily said yes to. Got a few jealous glares in the process from other passengers.
What does a jealous glare look like?

I love these threads. They're a great insight into the mindset of fliers with status.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I was offered a bottle of water in ET, champagne/wine from CW in WTP, champagne from CE in ET, and a few welcomes from the SCCM in ET. Nothing special happens on the majority of flights though (nor should it be expected). We also often do something extra for BA cabin crew by bringing chocolates for them.

Last edited by Andriyko; Nov 18, 2014 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:19 am

I've never received anything tangible as a GCH travelling long haul Y.

I have now had two greetings from CSD/Ms and both said I should let them know if there's anything they could do for me as they disappeared.

I've never really figured what I could/should ask for but since it happens so infrequently (I'm not griping here, just relating my experience) I'm not concerned about missing out on anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.