Wiki Posts
Search

HAL are enhancing T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
HAL are enhancing T5

This Summer we’re embarking on a twelve month program of improvements to make Terminal 5 an even better place for our passengers to shop, eat and relax.

We will be increasing space, adding more comfortable seating and creating a new shopping environment featuring new, highly sought after brands and restaurants.

While we make things better, some shops and restaurants will be closed. Visit Heathrow.com to find out what’s open
Will the more comfortable seating be in the new restaurants?

Be nice if they increased space between the escalators and shops, but can't see that happening!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: ABBA
The main thing I find that's "highly sought after" in T5 is the frickin airplane. It's a station, not a "shopping environment"
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: TfL Oyster Gold
Summer we’re embarking on a twelve month program of improvements to make Terminal 5 an even better place for our passengers to shop, eat and relax.
Nothing about getting on an aircraft.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, bloody HAL.

"... Terminal 5 an even better place for our passengers to shop, eat and relax."
As others have said, nothing to do with being an efficient way to get on an aircraft and escape from the bloody place.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I doubt anything will change. It seems to be just using the existing retail space and replacing shops and restaurants with ones they think will bring in more cash.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A lot of people sit at the airport for a fair period of time and don't have access to lounges

If having to wait around for a couple of hours, the quality of the facilities matters.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:43 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
"A recent survey has shown that our customers want more space to shop, eat and relax. The number of aircraft departures are being enhanced to allow for extra shopping and eating facilities and reduce noise and stress"
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:46 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I am not familiar with this notion that shopping is relaxing in normal shops, never mind in an airport.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A lot of people sit at the airport for a fair period of time and don't have access to lounges

If having to wait around for a couple of hours, the quality of the facilities matters.
Quite, so get rid of those shops, and put more seats in.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

I agree with you here and I think too many on this forum forget what it is like not to have lounge access
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:50 pm
V10

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
I agree with you here and I think too many on this forum forget what it is like not to have lounge access
Having been in that position until a couple of years ago, I can confirm that the only facilities I sought out were a chair and a beer, not the opportunity to spend money I didn't have on stuff I didn't need.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:01 pm

Quite frankly T5 is a bleeding mess right now, loads of boarded up areas, narrow passageways for Passengers who keep bumping into each other.
Some of the "nicer" eateries, i.e. ITSU and a few cafes are gone, boarded up, only to make space for some stupid fancy shops no one wants tbh. passengers are forced to sit on the floor at these busy times which is hardly great and not good advertisement for an airport or "World hub"-
Its hardly an enhancement, it is just a disgrace, outside of the lounges of course :-)

Last edited by Flier74; Aug 1, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have had sight of the concept for "more shopping space". Not 'people space', but "shop space"
HAL makes money from the shops. It does NOT make money from pax sitting around on benches, or whatever the non-Lounge people do.

Therefore, more shops and eateries ... well, a few more.

So the BA Blue Family will be rushing off to Harrods to buy loads of things, and hoovering Caviar at an eatery, while waiting for their delayed flight to <insert destination>. Or not, but I suppose you can't blame HAL for trying.

The sadness is that a brand-new major Airport Terminal was turned into a Shopping Mall that sells things that 97% of people don't want/need. In the process, the basic function of T5 was made a seriously inconvenient maze for the uninitiated, and a PITA for the regular travellers.

I dislike T5 more every time I pass through it. And it will be worse, as free-flow of passengers is further obstructed by shops.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:11 pm
V10

Originally Posted by T8191
I dislike T5 more every time I pass through it. And it will be worse, as free-flow of passengers is further obstructed by shops.
Let's be positive - at least it's not Stansted.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by V10
Having been in that position until a couple of years ago, I can confirm that the only facilities I sought out were a chair and a beer, not the opportunity to spend money I didn't have on stuff I didn't need.
^

An airport is useful to me only for boarding planes to take me somewhere. If I can find a chair, a window and a drink, I'm happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.