Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Just in case anyone is not aware of this, if you book a BA round trip originating in the US through the AARP link you get $130 discount on WT & WT+ and $400 on CW & F
No catches, and for $16 membership (ok you have to be over 50) definitely worth it, I've used theses fares a couple of times now.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Isn't it $65 discount for WT?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Oh yes, correct, sorry about that should read:
$65 for WT
130 WT+
400 CW & F
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:42 am

More details here http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us.

'But Hurry' as the page says
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
50+ only! I'll have to wait a (short) while then.

It looks like roughly the same discount on a CW fare as the Chase 10% discount though and it doesn't look like the Chase discount will work with the discounted AARP fare either which is not unreasonable I suppose.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
No so sure you need to be over 50 years old. I'm 29 and am an "Associate" member.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:28 pm

Right enough. Thanks for that.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by golfmad
50+ only! I'll have to wait a (short) while then.

It looks like roughly the same discount on a CW fare as the Chase 10% discount though and it doesn't look like the Chase discount will work with the discounted AARP fare either which is not unreasonable I suppose.
Hold on, neighbour (or should I say neighbor). I have successfully combined the AARP discount and the Chase 10% discount in the past. Maybe I shouldn't have been able but it all worked fine for me.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Does the AARP member need to be traveling or can they book it for someone else too?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by tooblue
Hold on, neighbour (or should I say neighbor). I have successfully combined the AARP discount and the Chase 10% discount in the past. Maybe I shouldn't have been able but it all worked fine for me.
Thanks!

I just tried it again and lo and behold this time it's come up OK. Usual fare approx $4,300

AARP fare -> Price (US Dollars, USD, $) $ 3,945.15
Chase discount -> Promotion value -$ 394.51
Total price to pay $ 3,550.64

That's roughly £2,200 in old money for IAH-ABZ return.

I'm guessing the answer is yes but is it possible to upgrade CW-F using Avios on these fares (subject to redemption space of course)?

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Does the AARP member need to be traveling or can they book it for someone else too?
Hi Panny

Must be ex US. AARP Member must travel. No open jaws. Must be booked online. Must be paid in the mighty dollar.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks!

I just tried it again and lo and behold this time it's come up OK. Usual fare approx $4,300

AARP fare -> Price (US Dollars, USD, $) $ 3,945.15
Chase discount -> Promotion value -$ 394.51
Total price to pay $ 3,550.64

That's roughly £2,200 in old money for IAH-ABZ return.

I'm guessing the answer is yet but is it possible to upgrade CW-F using Avios on these fares (subject to redemption space of course)?
You bet you can. I had 1A & 1K MIA-LHR last year after using AARP & Chase and UuA during the Jubilee Sale. Barely paid enough to cover the cost of my pyjamas (Sorry neighbor/neighbour. I meant pajamas. )
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by tooblue
You bet you can. I had 1A & 1K MIA-LHR last year after using AARP & Chase and UuA during the Jubilee Sale. Barely paid enough to cover the cost of my pyjamas (Sorry neighbor/neighbour. I meant pajamas. )
As they say, timing is everything. Sounds like a great deal

Presumably you have to go back in and upgrade after booking? Can't see a way to do it during the booking process itself.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:16 pm

Presumably you have to go back in and upgrade after booking? Can't see a way to do it during the booking process itself.
That's what worked for me. The availability of 1A & 1K was just a bonus. Serendipity!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:20 am

Thanks tooblue for your very timely advice and suggestions.

Just booked IAH-LHR-ABZ and back in CW with Chase discount and AARP discount for $3,552 (approx £2,260) with both transatlantic legs upgraded to F for 50,000 Avios and 1A reserved both ways.

Spent $16 on AARP membership to save $400

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.