Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Originally Posted by MisterOX
Reserved: Full-Size
Received: Infiniti FX-37
I have been itching to get one of these. How is the drive and interior room?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Level: Presidents
Reserved: Intermediate
Received: Kia Cadenza
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by QSilver
Received: Kia Cadenza
Nice. What's the quality of the car like? I'm curious how Kia is doing in the luxury category.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Impaul4
If you're that adamant about an upgrade you can always do a couple of things:

1. Simply ask to speak with a manager. Usually they are more capable and willing to do upgrades.

2. Take the car, leave and come back and ask for something different. I did this in Dallas recently. I booked full size car and received a Suburban. I took it and came back because I needed the toll tag. I got the Challenger RT I wanted after talking to the manager who was helping me, even though just 20 mins prior the sales person said it was booked. He offered it to me and I said "your associate said it was booked" and he said no one had booked it all week, and was embarrassed she gave me that bs when I originally requested it.

3. Take it from the airport and exchange it at one of the neighborhood locations. I'm not sure if it's true, but one of the associates in FL at the neighborhood location told me once you swap it out there, that revenue becomes the locations revenue and not the airport. So they are more willing to swap it out and upgrade. (In FL I traded in a Focus for a Ford Flex)

4. Just pay for the car you want. Sometimes you have to. I have only paid for an upgrade once in my life. And it was $4 a day to go from a Fiat 500 to a 4-door Jeep Wrangler Sahara. It was worth it to me.
Great tips! Thanks! And I wouldn't say I'm that adamant about getting an upgrade...I just love driving. The better the car, the better the experience!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by zhutch
Airport: IAH
Rented: Standard
Assigned: Kia Optima (it didn't even have leather--completely bare bones.)
Requested: Infiniti/BMW (i knew it was a stretch...her words: "Nahhhh I caint do dat.")
Received: Ford Taurus Limited, 4 months old, 11000 miles

I got offered every Standard/Full vehicle they had...Passat, Fusion, Camry--you name it. I was hoping she would finally give in and meet me half way with something like a Lincoln or 300, but she was tough. Not very pleasant, either. Finally when she got to the Taurus, I figured that was as good as it was going to get for me. It was a nice car. I never really got used to driving it, though. I was never able to get a feel for where the passenger side of the car and front corners actually were, which resulted in a couple of parking jobs 2' off the curb when i thought i was right on it. haha
I just checked my rental receipt, and I didn't realize that the Ford Taurus is actually classified as a Premium. So, I did, effectively, get a 2 class upgrade. Although whether or not the Taurus should be classified as a Premium in the first place is an entirely different story...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Reserved: Standard
Received: Navigator

Asked for a car when I was there because I was driving to Greensboro (about 150 miles RT) and wanted the better gas mileage, and was told the only thing available was the navigator....
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Impaul4
Nice. What's the quality of the car like? I'm curious how Kia is doing in the luxury category.
It was a pretty nice car (turned it in last night). This model had nav, XM, backup camera, and about 9,000 miles on it. Chassis is quite tight, which meant handling was very good. Transmission was a 6-speed automatic with shifter paddles.

Exterior styling seemed to be a mashup of Inifinti and BMW, with maybe a touch of Saab. Interior styling was pretty good overall, with more bling than I prefer. Outside mirrors that folded up and in automatically was cute the first couple of times and silly thereafter.

Starting the car resulted in hearing an engine that I swore sounded like some mirco-hathcback sub-1.5L diesels that I've spent time in while in Europe. Overall, he engine was always quite eager and pulled well. Paddle-shifting was sometimes laggy. Once or twice, it slammed into gear if I quickly paddle-shifted up two gears.

Nav system said it was "powered by Samsung Galaxy" but it used Siri's voice! Overall, nav worked well, but I never figured out how to a) set a QWERTY keyboard or b) orient the screen so that up was the direction I was traveling.

I've seen full-page Cadenza ads in the Wall Street Journal over the last couple of weeks comparing it to the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-class. I don't really buy the comparison. I drive an older 530 and the Cadenza might be equivalent to it with a somewhat better suspension. It's a capable car but I doubt it's at the same level as current 5s or Es.

I did notice a few times when people were giving it a long look, as if they were trying to figure out what car it was.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:05 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
It was a pretty nice car (turned it in last night). This model had nav, XM, backup camera, and about 9,000 miles on it. Chassis is quite tight, which meant handling was very good. Transmission was a 6-speed automatic with shifter paddles.

Exterior styling seemed to be a mashup of Inifinti and BMW, with maybe a touch of Saab. Interior styling was pretty good overall, with more bling than I prefer. Outside mirrors that folded up and in automatically was cute the first couple of times and silly thereafter.

Starting the car resulted in hearing an engine that I swore sounded like some mirco-hathcback sub-1.5L diesels that I've spent time in while in Europe. Overall, he engine was always quite eager and pulled well. Paddle-shifting was sometimes laggy. Once or twice, it slammed into gear if I quickly paddle-shifted up two gears.

Nav system said it was "powered by Samsung Galaxy" but it used Siri's voice! Overall, nav worked well, but I never figured out how to a) set a QWERTY keyboard or b) orient the screen so that up was the direction I was traveling.

I've seen full-page Cadenza ads in the Wall Street Journal over the last couple of weeks comparing it to the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-class. I don't really buy the comparison. I drive an older 530 and the Cadenza might be equivalent to it with a somewhat better suspension. It's a capable car but I doubt it's at the same level as current 5s or Es.

I did notice a few times when people were giving it a long look, as if they were trying to figure out what car it was.

Great info! I hope this is allowed, but here is a very well written review with pictures from the National Forum.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Great info! I hope this is allowed, but here is a very well written review with pictures from the National Forum.
Nice to see Avis carrying the Cadenza! Have only seen one or two at National, as they're pretty rare it seems. Too bad!

How are the Avis Cadenzas optioned? Base trim only?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Nice to see Avis carrying the Cadenza! Have only seen one or two at National, as they're pretty rare it seems. Too bad!

How are the Avis Cadenzas optioned? Base trim only?
The Cadenza I had was most likely the "base" version, which Kia calls the Cadenza Premium. I had a quick look at Kia's website. The main differences between Premium and the next level, Limited, are a lane-departure warning system, hydrophobic front window door glass, blind spot detection system, and heated steering wheel. The Cadenza I rented had none of those (although who could tell for sure that it had hydrophobic glass?)

I also noticed that the car I rented had three blanks for switches on the dashboard. There was a five-switch array to the left of the steering wheel; two were for dash brightness and to disable DSC, the other three were unused.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
hydrophobic front window door glass
Is that front windows who are scared of water?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Is that front windows who are scared of water?
I wish mine was scared. My windows seem to be hydrophilic.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Past 45 Days Rent/Receive

Level: Chairman
Received: Avalon

Received: BMW Z4 Convert

Received: Infiniti QX

Received: BMW 528i

Received: Tahoe

Received: Tahoe XL

Received: Escalade

Received: Some kind of ugly Buick with a horrid control cluster

Received: Suburban

Received: BMW 750

Received: Genesis
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jisaac
Received: Avalon

Received: BMW Z4 Convert

Received: Infiniti QX

Received: BMW 528i

Received: Tahoe

Received: Tahoe XL

Received: Escalade

Received: Some kind of ugly Buick with a horrid control cluster

Received: Suburban

Received: Genesis
I bet it was a Regal.

Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by jisaac

Still waiting to see one of these on an Avis lot. Haven't seen them all year at either ORD or ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.