Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im reading over on a few wine IBBs that the TSA is going to be relaxing rules limiting transport of liquids in the next couple of months
Yes, I've seen those reports, too. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I'll be flying back to Buenos Aires from Mendoza on LAN, and I suspect I will have picked up some wine during my travels. What's the best transport solution? Can I carry any wine on-board with me? And if I have to check it, am I better off stuffing it in luggage or packing it (securely) in a separate box (not concerned from a wine bottle breakage standpoint, but from a "I hope the airline doesn't hassle me" perspective).

thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:13 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Enforcement of regulations on domestic flights is variable. I would not suggest placing bottles in your suitcase so imo its best to get a proper wine shipper and check it in. Of course depending on what your other bags are like, keep your fingers crossed that they dont want to charge something.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Enforcement of regulations on domestic flights is variable. I would not suggest placing bottles in your suitcase so imo its best to get a proper wine shipper and check it in. Of course depending on what your other bags are like, keep your fingers crossed that they dont want to charge something.
Ugh. Does LAN Argentina have some sort of one bag limit?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I dont know the specifics about what LAN allows... I suggest you call then so you at least know the rules. As I say above, enforcement is variable, but it is true that LAN tends to run a tighter ship than most and throwing the book of rules at customers happens more often than on other carriers. This being said, a big smile on your face and some people skills come a long way when shmoozing at the check in counter...... good luck!!!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont know the specifics about what LAN allows... I suggest you call then so you at least know the rules. As I say above, enforcement is variable, but it is true that LAN tends to run a tighter ship than most and throwing the book of rules at customers happens more often than on other carriers. This being said, a big smile on your face and some people skills come a long way when shmoozing at the check in counter...... good luck!!!
I just looked at their website and -- ouch! The official limits for coach pax are only 20 kilos for checked baggage, and 8 kilos for carry on. And if you go over -- and they feel like enforcing it -- it's an astonishing US$12 PER KILO.

http://plane.lan.com/info_viajes/equ...ina-en-us.html

So Gaucho, how much does a bottle of wine weigh?

What I'm thinking is that I'd do better buying my Mendoza wine in BA after I fly back. AA still is generous on int'l baggage, 2 checked plus a generous carry-on, so I can get it home from there. I presume wine prices in Mendoza are not materially lower than in BA (and could they be higher?).

The only downside is that it seems rude to taste at a winery without buying SOMETHING. How does that all play out in Mendoza?

I'd be inclined to "risk it," but the US$12 per kilo makes that a risky bet.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I just looked at their website and -- ouch! The official limits for coach pax are only 20 kilos for checked baggage, and 8 kilos for carry on. And if you go over -- and they feel like enforcing it -- it's an astonishing US$12 PER KILO.

http://plane.lan.com/info_viajes/equ...ina-en-us.html

So Gaucho, how much does a bottle of wine weigh?

What I'm thinking is that I'd do better buying my Mendoza wine in BA after I fly back. AA still is generous on int'l baggage, 2 checked plus a generous carry-on, so I can get it home from there. I presume wine prices in Mendoza are not materially lower than in BA (and could they be higher?).

The only downside is that it seems rude to taste at a winery without buying SOMETHING. How does that all play out in Mendoza?

I'd be inclined to "risk it," but the US$12 per kilo makes that a risky bet.
I try to not openly say that its not smart to buy wines while in Mendoza if you will be in EZE before your leave... not because it doesnt make sense but rather because some folks may think Im trying to push a sale. Leaving my ITB status aside, I think its plain dumb and inconvenient to shlep wines around the country. Also, variety in Mendoza is nothing like you will find in Buenos Aires, and there are no relevant price differences when purchasing in Mendoza.

The buying something at the winery "obligation" does not exist in Argentina, especially since many places not charge a nominal tasting fee. However, even if they dont charge, you are not expected to buy anything.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the advice. I always like buying wine at wineries. Well, at least in Europe. Indeed, it's kind of expected there. In France, I once bought a couple bottles from a relatively small vintner and he said, "Monsieur, if you just wanted a bottle or two, why didn't you go to the supermarket."

But in America, I've generally stopped doing it (at least in California) because it has gotten more expensive at the winery than in the stores. Perhaps because of this, though, I've cut down my winery visits (I was just in SFO this summer for a week and didn't bother heading north to Sonoma or Napa).

So I guess I'll have to use my "American strategy" in Mendoza. It is less fun, however. Fewer fond rememberances when you open the bottle.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Interestingly enough, I believe that the TSA rules on liquids, combined with domestic airlines charging for checked baggage, have effectively "broken" whatever obligation to purchase wine at the winery that may have existed here in the U.S. In any case, I simply ask the folks in the winery tasting room who sells/distributes their wines in San Diego, and explain that I am only traveling with carry-on luggage. It's invariably true, and I cannot put wine in my carry-on in any case.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a follow up, it seems pretty easy to carry wine around in your carry-on luggage WITHIN Argentina. They just don't seem to care about liquids.

In a rather funny scene, I was returning to BA from Mendoza with about 4 bottles of wine in my carry on luggage (small winery stuff that I'd never find in BA). The x-ray operator was very thorough: they wanted to see the plastic knife I had in my suitcase (which turned out to be OK), as well as the 50 cent plastic corkscrew (which they confiscated). But the wine -- no problem!

LAN did not enforce their carry on baggage limits. My wife and I each carried a rollerboard and a backpack. We printed boarding passes off the LAN website (remember to print 2 copies). Nobody said a word about our luggage in each direction from BA to Mendoza.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
As a follow up, it seems pretty easy to carry wine around in your carry-on luggage WITHIN Argentina. They just don't seem to care about liquids.

In a rather funny scene, I was returning to BA from Mendoza with about 4 bottles of wine in my carry on luggage (small winery stuff that I'd never find in BA). The x-ray operator was very thorough: they wanted to see the plastic knife I had in my suitcase (which turned out to be OK), as well as the 50 cent plastic corkscrew (which they confiscated). But the wine -- no problem!

LAN did not enforce their carry on baggage limits. My wife and I each carried a rollerboard and a backpack. We printed boarding passes off the LAN website (remember to print 2 copies). Nobody said a word about our luggage in each direction from BA to Mendoza.
Thanks for coming back and reporting your experience !! ^
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:54 pm

Well I had an interesting experience last night leaving EZE with 2 cases so thoughtfully picked out by Gaucho100K.

Checking in with the Delta BusinessElite counter I was told I could have 4L per person, max... I wasn't pleased. So I escalated to the supervisor and finally the on duty station manager.

The final result was being told that for "security" reasons the EZE airport security doesn't want more than that amount per person but they would try to game the system and put one box on when I was checking in and the 2nd box would be sent on later. If the security people called up the Ticket Agent was to find other pax on the flight continuing to MCO and tell them that we were traveling together.

In the end both boxes made it safely to the US and even stood up the the very determined inspections by CBP (30 minutes of staring at EACH of the 24 bottles of wine to determine the ABV and then the 2 agents finally gave up because they couldn't calculate the duty owed).

All in all an A+ experience Gaucho100K's packing crates (styrofoam) were GREAT and I will bring them with me to Seattle in a few weeks to get some more wine home, I feel much safer with the styrofoam as compared to the normal cardboard packing that the US based wineries use!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:28 am

WBurcham-- Glad to hear you finally made it back with the wine. I think that you suffered from a case of a poorly informed/trained agent... about 1 year ago I had to go through a sort of crusade against some sloppy gate agents at the various US airlines because they were enforcing a non existent rule... the 4 liter (or 2 liters is the amount that some agents had in their head) rule is related to flammable liquids.... this includes hard liquor like Vodka or Tequila. Wine will not light up even if you hold it up to a flamethrower...... but some agents just assume that wine is like the hard stuff and that is the crux of the issue.

The EZE security excuse is 100% bullocks.... If you have the name of the agent or something, do PM me as I know the senior management at Delta here in Buenos Aires and I would love to take this up with them.

Good for you for escalating this to a supervisor... ^
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:44 am

WBurcham-- Glad to hear you finally made it back with the wine. I think that you suffered from a case of a poorly informed/trained agent... about 1 year ago I had to go through a sort of crusade against some sloppy gate agents at the various US airlines because they were enforcing a non existent rule... the 4 liter (or 2 liters is the amount that some agents had in their head) rule is related to flammable liquids.... this includes hard liquor like Vodka or Tequila. Wine will not light up even if you hold it up to a flamethrower...... but some agents just assume that wine is like the hard stuff and that is the crux of the issue.

The EZE security excuse is 100% bullocks.... If you have the name of the agent or something, do PM me as I know the senior management at Delta here in Buenos Aires and I would love to take this up with them.

Wish I had the name of the gentleman who was working the DL checkin however the supervisor (older lady) agreed with him but said that she would try the workaround..... It worked out in the end but I was happy I didn't show up with a 3rd case (am just opening up the first bottle tonight).
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
How is UA with Wine?

Should I be alright with 12 bottles ( 9L Equivalent) packed in StyroFoam shipper on a UA EZE-IAD flight. Or will I need to cross my fingers that I do not have a Agent with poor knowledge.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I just got off the phone after a good 15 minute conversation with the folks at UA Buenos Aires.

I first spoke to a very friendly agent who said that there are no restrictions regarding wine in checked baggage, whether placed in the passenger's luggage or checked in separately. I explained about previous experiences with different interpretations of the rules, and the friendly agent suggested that in such a case, the pax should request to speak to a UA staff member and if needed, to the station manager to clear things up.

The agent was really helpful and even reconfirmed all this with his supervisor, who eventually came on the phone and re-confirmed all this directly with me. The only possible "issue" that came up in the chat with the supervisor was that if a check-in agent thinks that the wine is not properly packed, the pax may be asked to sign a waiver (this will not happen if wine is presented in styrofoam wine shippers).
Is this still the policy.. Looks like my prior question was answered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.