Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
FMachine-- as I understand it, the rules are in your favor... however, as all frequent flyers know, check-in agents are a "strange species".... some will go out of their way to help you while others throw the book at you, and then you have the ones that dont know what they are doing but still think they are enforcing the rules. I dont dare predict what will happen, but as far as I know, United has been the least "problematic" with wine, at least in the experience Ive had over the last 9-12 months.

Ive heard the odd issue here and there with Delta and Continental, but those are usually resolved when the pax escalates things to a supervisor and is well informed about the TSA policies. Remember to highlight the fact that wine is not a flammable.... etc.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
FMachine-- as I understand it, the rules are in your favor... however, as all frequent flyers know, check-in agents are a "strange species".... some will go out of their way to help you while others throw the book at you, and then you have the ones that dont know what they are doing but still think they are enforcing the rules. I dont dare predict what will happen, but as far as I know, United has been the least "problematic" with wine, at least in the experience Ive had over the last 9-12 months.

Ive heard the odd issue here and there with Delta and Continental, but those are usually resolved when the pax escalates things to a supervisor and is well informed about the TSA policies. Remember to highlight the fact that wine is not a flammable.... etc.
Gaucho 100K . Thank you for your fast and informative reply. I will let the board know how things go with my shipment. I see your point on the power of knowledge.. and the lack of by some airline employees..
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

FM-- good luck, please report back on the outcome when you get a chance.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:46 am

Recent article on Argentine Wines:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040701022.html
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another datapoint here: My six bottles of Gaucho supplied wine were waived through US Customs with no concern. The agent at DFW looked at the box and immediately recognized it as wine. Purchased in EZE but check-in via AA at MVD. My husband and I did, however, have to report to agriculture to have our shoes cleaned (we visisted a farm in Uruguay). They spent 30 minutes on that but were uninterested in the duty from the wine. As it should be. ^

Also, my husband just came back from Europe with six bottles in his luggage. Pre-clearance at YVR just waived him through.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:13 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by rjque
Another datapoint here: My six bottles of Gaucho supplied wine were waived through US Customs with no concern. The agent at DFW looked at the box and immediately recognized it as wine. Purchased in EZE but check-in via AA at MVD. My husband and I did, however, have to report to agriculture to have our shoes cleaned (we visisted a farm in Uruguay). They spent 30 minutes on that but were uninterested in the duty from the wine. As it should be. ^

Also, my husband just came back from Europe with six bottles in his luggage. Pre-clearance at YVR just waived him through.
Thanks for the report, glad it worked out well !!!
Old May 30, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Gaucho 100K . Thank you for your fast and informative reply. I will let the board know how things go with my shipment. I see your point on the power of knowledge.. and the lack of by some airline employees..

Update. Went to EZE with my 12 bottle shipper.UA Agent at check in asked whats inside the box, I replied wine. She said okay its seems to packed correctly and placed a priorty tag on the box. I asked her why the priorty tag, she stated I dont want the people in back to think its cargo and not luggage. I said thanks. Upon arrival in IAD Customs agent asked whats in the box, I said wine, he said 1 liter or 750 I said 750 he said nothing just waived me on ( on the declaration card I just placed " 12 bottles of Argentine wine " with a $$ value for the total 12.
Doing it again next week
Old May 30, 2009, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Update. Went to EZE with my 12 bottle shipper.UA Agent at check in asked whats inside the box, I replied wine. She said okay its seems to packed correctly and placed a priorty tag on the box. I asked her why the priorty tag, she stated I dont want the people in back to think its cargo and not luggage. I said thanks. Upon arrival in IAD Customs agent asked whats in the box, I said wine, he said 1 liter or 750 I said 750 he said nothing just waived me on ( on the declaration card I just placed " 12 bottles of Argentine wine " with a $$ value for the total 12.
Doing it again next week
Glad to hear all went well. In my experience, US customs isnt interested in the $$$ value of wine, they just want you to be straight with them and inform exactly how many bottles you have. As long as you dont play games, they almost never bother to write you up and charge the taxes & duties. Booze that is below the hard liquor level doesnt really have that much taxation potential anyways...

Just as an example, I have some serious "whino" clients that regularly take back up to 3 (yes, three) full cases of wine with them. Their batting average is over .950 of getting waived past the customs checkpoints... and even in the less than 5% cases when they do get written up, the amount charged is nominal.
Old May 31, 2009, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Glad to hear all went well. In my experience, US customs isnt interested in the $$$ value of wine, they just want you to be straight with them and inform exactly how many bottles you have. As long as you dont play games, they almost never bother to write you up and charge the taxes & duties. Booze that is below the hard liquor level doesnt really have that much taxation potential anyways...

Just as an example, I have some serious "whino" clients that regularly take back up to 3 (yes, three) full cases of wine with them. Their batting average is over .950 of getting waived past the customs checkpoints... and even in the less than 5% cases when they do get written up, the amount charged is nominal.
We brought back 2 cases through Miami on Tuesday and all the customs guy wanted to do was look at it to ensure it was sealed and appeared to be wine. We opened one of the cases (each in a 12-bottle wine shipper) and he randomly selected a few bottles. After about 5 minutes we were on our way and also didn't have to pay a duty.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:40 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Dave, your experience confirms what I always say... they dont care about wine, its the hard liquor they are after...
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
So U.S. Customs doesn't seem bent on creating hassles or collecting duties but I wonder if Canadian Customs will be as understanding. I check on the I Declare online brochure for CBSA and it says the limit for wine duty/tax free is 1.5 litres, which isn't much. But I guess I'll have to give it a go and should they be officious just smile and nod and pay the duty.

I think I'll need a shipping crate, Gaucho, as I'm flying with just a carry-on but will PM you about setting aside a time to stop by the shop.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:20 am

Im afraid Canadian customs is a different story. In my experience, they will certainly write you up if you bring wine over the allocated allowance.

I do however have ways to help you... please PM me for details.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Well, Canadian Customs at YEG turned out to be pussy cats today rather than paper tigers as I declared how many bottles I was over, which was 4, the approx cost and they charged me CAD$16 for overage so not a hefty surcharge at all. Can't speak to other entry points but YEG CBSP staff was quite pleasant. Would recommend the practice to any travellers possibly wanting a liquid Argentinian souvenir to take home.

And thanks to Gaucho for his input and time helping me with my Malbec souvenir ^ Should travellers want his input he is very giving of his time so would suggest dropping him a PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:52 pm

Ian-- thanks for the report, glad to read it worked out well.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:37 pm

Bringing wine from Mendoza to BA, and then back to the US

Hi,
I will be visiting BA and then Mendoza the end of this month. We are hoping to bring wine back from Mendoza, then to BA (flying) and then back to the US. I didn't see (maybe didn't look hard enough) how to bring wine back from Mendoza to BA - we are flying. Should I try to buy the styrofoam box in BA?
Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.