Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
It's been a few months since I popped in to this forum but wanted to offer a suggestion in the "b" part of the "f & b" scene. Spent the evening last Tuesday watching the World Cup qualifier vs Ecuador in the Buller Brewing Co in Recoleta - http://www.bullerpub.com/ - I would imagine the place is not the sort to go to for a quiet drink on Friday/Saturday or late on any evening, but arriving at 6 to watch the football the place was quiet enough. They brew and serve 6 beers, of which I only managed 3 during the game, they are quite substantial and full of flavour, not to mention alcohol, I think the weakest is 5% and the strongest 8%, I stuck in the middle!

And for what it's worth I had a good steak at El Mirasol, Puerto Madero on Wednesday night, not a great steak but perfectly acceptable, not a patch on Happening at Costanera.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good to hear from you again BT. ^

Looks a decent place for a pint. Have to go to BA tomorrow so might give it a visit if I have time.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
You have been to various of the places that are on proper shortlist, here are some to consider in addition....

- La Cabania (this is not Las Lilas)
- Le Grill
- The Grill at the Plaza Hotel (ex Marriott Plaza)
- La Dorita
- La Raya

The first three names above are high-end options, the latter two are more everyday down to earth options that locals would normally go to.
Comments re: Le Grill

The best "dining out" meat I've had here in a couple of years. There were two of us (there were supposed to be 3, but one stood us up "al ultimo minuto" so we survived, perhaps with a little less selection).

Entradas - We shared an order of empanadas ossobuco. Tasty. I expected a bit more flavo(u)r, but still, tasty. We also shared an order of chorizo. It was very tasty (probably the empanada would have been tastier had I eaten it first). The chorizo didn't leave you with a slick in the mouth, nor a "I will have cramps before I go to sleep" feeling.

Meats - me, the asado de tira. This was the first asado argentino in ages where I didn't have to spit any of it out, nor was I left with more than one string of meat in one tooth. It wasn't as good as La Brigada at its former glory, but it was very very good. My dining companion ordered the muy gringo y kiwi traditional cut, which I tasted, and was deliciously tender and sabroso. It had to be more than 500g. It could have fed 2, perhaps with another side dish.

Sides - a mixed salad, and sauteed mushrooms. Both perfectly fine.

Wine - My failing eyes gave me problems reading the list in "dim restaurant light at night" so instead of asking for light, or reading glasses, the waiter told us about a wine promotion. We took it, and after it was open awhile, was a perfectly pleasant wine for the dinner.

Service - nice, not exceptional, but pleasant and efficient, and not intrusive.

Price - make a reservation @ Restorando.com during certain days/hours, a 20% discount on the food (not the beverages or cover) - dinner for 2 @ Dolar Blue was approx. US$100.

Aftermath - no "parrilla slick" that needed to be wiped off the face, no cramps, no feeling of a tourist trap, and no hesitation to return when I want a quality piece of vacuno que se murió por mis pecados
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the Report.... glad you were sent to a place that didn't disappoint...

Im guessing the après-dinner ambiance was not bad, judging by the time of your post...

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Comments re: Le Grill

The best "dining out" meat I've had here in a couple of years. There were two of us (there were supposed to be 3, but one stood us up "al ultimo minuto" so we survived, perhaps with a little less selection).

Entradas - We shared an order of empanadas ossobuco. Tasty. I expected a bit more flavo(u)r, but still, tasty. We also shared an order of chorizo. It was very tasty (probably the empanada would have been tastier had I eaten it first). The chorizo didn't leave you with a slick in the mouth, nor a "I will have cramps before I go to sleep" feeling.

Meats - me, the asado de tira. This was the first asado argentino in ages where I didn't have to spit any of it out, nor was I left with more than one string of meat in one tooth. It wasn't as good as La Brigada at its former glory, but it was very very good. My dining companion ordered the muy gringo y kiwi traditional cut, which I tasted, and was deliciously tender and sabroso. It had to be more than 500g. It could have fed 2, perhaps with another side dish.

Sides - a mixed salad, and sauteed mushrooms. Both perfectly fine.

Wine - My failing eyes gave me problems reading the list in "dim restaurant light at night" so instead of asking for light, or reading glasses, the waiter told us about a wine promotion. We took it, and after it was open awhile, was a perfectly pleasant wine for the dinner.

Service - nice, not exceptional, but pleasant and efficient, and not intrusive.

Price - make a reservation @ Restorando.com during certain days/hours, a 20% discount on the food (not the beverages or cover) - dinner for 2 @ Dolar Blue was approx. US$100.

Aftermath - no "parrilla slick" that needed to be wiped off the face, no cramps, no feeling of a tourist trap, and no hesitation to return when I want a quality piece of vacuno que se murió por mis pecados
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Im guessing the après-dinner ambiance was not bad, judging by the time of your post...
Actually, I forced myself to stay up quite late so I could sleep in quite late due to the ungodly hour of my flight home - my remise is coming at 0130
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Actually, I forced myself to stay up quite late so I could sleep in quite late due to the ungodly hour of my flight home - my remise is coming at 0130
Ahh....... adjust your time zone you must...
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Does anyone have any recommendations for a night out dancing in Buenos Aires? We will be a group of Brazilians, some of whom love dancing and are quite capable of absorbing a good deal of beer and other drinks. A place that would not be entirely packed with tourists would be nice.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Does anyone have any recommendations for a night out dancing in Buenos Aires? We will be a group of Brazilians, some of whom love dancing and are quite capable of absorbing a good deal of beer and other drinks. A place that would not be entirely packed with tourists would be nice.
I suggest you go over to Trip Advisor to ask this.... this forum is visited by too many old farts that have long retired from the dance floors...
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I suggest you go over to Trip Advisor to ask this.... this forum is visited by too many old farts that have long retired from the dance floors...
As it happens, some of our group would easily qualify for the 'old' part of 'old farts', being in the 65+ range...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

As it happens, some of our group would easily qualify for the 'old' part of 'old farts', being in the 65+ range...
Still... TA is the better source for updated info on dance places.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
It all depends on what kind of place you are expecting... I am in my mid 30's but long ago retired from regular clubing... In any event every time a foreign friend wants to go dancing I would go to Asia de Cuba (Puerto Madero) or to Shampoo (Recoleta). Please note that dancing does not start until after midnight as before that both places operate as restaurants. My adivce would be for you to make a reservation for a table that you can keep once the dance begins as thos tables in the floor are removed for people to dance.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ammassot
It all depends on what kind of place you are expecting... I am in my mid 30's but long ago retired from regular clubing... In any event every time a foreign friend wants to go dancing I would go to Asia de Cuba (Puerto Madero) or to Shampoo (Recoleta). Please note that dancing does not start until after midnight as before that both places operate as restaurants. My adivce would be for you to make a reservation for a table that you can keep once the dance begins as thos tables in the floor are removed for people to dance.
Asia de Cuba sound right, but, wasn't (isn't?) Shampoo considered one of those "under cover" bars of ill repute... (???)

For the more electronic scene, aren't places like Pacha or Mint still open...? Im probably dating myself here, but I would ask about those places over on TA, perhaps they are still open and now have different names. Whatever happened to the sacred Temples... El Cielo and New York City...???
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
Asia de Cuba sound right, but, wasn't (isn't?) Shampoo considered one of those "under cover" bars of ill repute... (???)

For the more electronic scene, aren't places like Pacha or Mint still open...? Im probably dating myself here, but I would ask about those places over on TA, perhaps they are still open and now have different names. Whatever happened to the sacred Temples... El Cielo and New York City...???
As you correctly say that used to be the case with Shampoo, however, approximately 2 years ago it went through a lifting and became one of the most trendy night clubs in town.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What restaurants could be recommended for a person traveling alone? I do like the tasting menu options and like to try local flavors. But I don't want to spend a crazy amount on food.

How is:
el baqueano?
Aramburu? Seems to offer a 12 course tasting for some AR$340 which review wise is supposed to be comparable to a Michellin star restaurant. Are there any Michellin star restaurants in BA?

And what is the dress code at places like these? Are dark jeans OK with a business shirt?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by jason8612
What restaurants could be recommended for a person traveling alone? I do like the tasting menu options and like to try local flavors. But I don't want to spend a crazy amount on food.

How is:
el baqueano?
Aramburu? Seems to offer a 12 course tasting for some AR$340 which review wise is supposed to be comparable to a Michellin star restaurant. Are there any Michellin star restaurants in BA?

And what is the dress code at places like these? Are dark jeans OK with a business shirt?
Informal dress is fine.
Last week, dinner for two at El Baqueano with a bottle of decent wine was ARS$700 (10% discount for cash - but that's equivalent to the normal tipping rate for reasonable service).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.