Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:07 pm

Why would AmEx ask for social security number for additional user?

I mean, neither citi nor chase ask for SSN of the additional user (they only need a name). Why would American Express want SSN? Does AmEx run credit check on the additional user?

AmEx really makes things difficult for card holders. In addition to asking for SSN of additional user, they also make you wait for a month before you can use your points from last month's statement.

No way I am keeping AmEx after I squeeze out all the benefits.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I mean, neither citi nor chase ask for SSN of the additional user (they only need a name). Why would American Express want SSN? Does AmEx run credit check on the additional user?

AmEx really makes things difficult for card holders. In addition to asking for SSN of additional user, they also make you wait for a month before you can use your points from last month's statement.

No way I am keeping AmEx after I squeeze out all the benefits.
Maybe to match the AU to a list of banned cardholders due to previous bad experiences?

On the other hand, they seem to report on the AUs credit file, which can be seen as helpful for those new to credit (say, my kids).
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by wildchartermage
This thread is about a year old. I was wondering if people are still able to add foreigners (without SSNs) to AMEX cards right now?
Zero problem. Recent experience from this month (June, 2015). They do want other identifying information about the AU.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:04 pm

Add it through chat support. They'll do it for you.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:09 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Stupid question here. If they can add an AU to your account w/o requiring the SSN, how can the AU build credit if that is their intention?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry
Zero problem. Recent experience from this month (June, 2015). They do want other identifying information about the AU.
if they want the passport number (or driver license number or whatever ID number) of the additional user, can I just give them a made-up number?

I honestly don't want to hand them my AU's ID number (of any kind)....
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
if they want the passport number (or driver license number or whatever ID number) of the additional user, can I just give them a made-up number?

I honestly don't want to hand them my AU's ID number (of any kind)....
Another bank (the vast majority, I think) who don't care about the AU may be preferable to you.

Not sure why Amex is different.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 pm

Fliesdelta got it right. Amex will not give a card to AU if they have previous bad experience. Amex will report on AU credit file if you give them a SSN of an AU so it can help the persons credit. But some adjustments by the three large bureaus were made to prevent people building good credit this way.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Maybe to match the AU to a list of banned cardholders due to previous bad experiences? On the other hand, they seem to report on the AUs credit file, which can be seen as helpful for those new to credit (say, my kids).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:05 am

I ended up giving them a made-up foreign driver license number, and my AU card was activated. It took 30 minutes. It goes to show how AmEx makes things difficult for its card holders.

Originally Posted by Centurion
Fliesdelta got it right. Amex will not give a card to AU if they have previous bad experience. Amex will report on AU credit file if you give them a SSN of an AU so it can help the persons credit. But some adjustments by the three large bureaus were made to prevent people building good credit this way.
That does not make any sense. If AmEx had a bad experience with a certain AU in the past, that AU is not the person who's responsible for all the charges (the main card holder is). If AmEx had any bad experience, then it should be directed at the main card holder since the main card holder is responsible for all the charges regardless of how the AU spends the money.

Last edited by mia; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:19 am Reason: Combined consecutive replies
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if it would violate any agreement or law if a false ID number is given to AMEX for the additional user.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:06 pm

I tried to add an employee years ago to a small biz open card and the AU was rejected because of loss earlier on another amex product. I think if you read the fine print the AU is also liable for charges on their card.

That does not make any sense. If AmEx had a bad experience with a certain AU in the past, that AU is not the person who's responsible for all the charges (the main card holder is). .
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if it would violate any agreement or law if a false ID number is given to AMEX for the additional user.
Willfully choosing to provide false information to obtain and use credit to defraud a lender is legally actionable in the U.S under federal law and often also under state law. A prosecutor will most commonly not jump in to act in such situations unless there is a loan default; and even then it's not common for prosecutors to take action in such matters unless and until there is other stuff going on -- like other existing concerns that prejudice the prosecutors to act out and pursue the matter -- for example, identity theft concerns in response to police reports, or a relatively large financial hit.

AMEX being provided with false ID number for an AU -- when the borrower is paying the loan in full and made no deliberate or accidental misrepresentations in the course of being granted the initial credit line for the account -- is a big deal for a U.S. prosecutor? Not commonly.

Amex closing accounts out of ID concerns? It's happened before, even when there was no funny business perpetrated by the customer.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 8, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:23 am

I talked to them about adding AU yesterday.
They can put in the app. for AU w/o any identification number and the system will approve it.
What I was told is the system will send out the CC for AU and a letter requesting identification, BUT you don't need to respond to identification requisition to activate the AU's CC.
Basically the identification requisition can be treated as "OPTIONAL"
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
I talked to them about adding AU yesterday.
They can put in the app. for AU w/o any identification number and the system will approve it.
What I was told is the system will send out the CC for AU and a letter requesting identification, BUT you don't need to respond to identification requisition to activate the AU's CC.
Basically the identification requisition can be treated as "OPTIONAL"
They won't need the personal information when you request for an AU card, but when you activate the AU card, they will ask you to provide some type of personal info (SSN, or DL, or passport, etc.)

This really sucks. I just don't understand why AmEx needs to ask for it. The process of adding AU is much easier for Chase or Citi cards.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:34 pm

Any info if you would like to add new AU who is non US citizen and does not have SS#?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.