Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by slickvik
The 5x rumor is true I called AMEX and it starts October 6. If this is the only big surprise, sorry but it is lame and can't match to the reserve. If they introduce this in conjunction with a 100,000 bonus, then maybe they will get some hype. But to truly match they need the 100,000 plus $300 unrestricted travel credit plus this 5x, just IMO.
And dining bonus
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
FYI the bonus is for all amex charge cards. So now what's the point of keeping platinum instead of PRG?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Official twitter acct says 5x pts on flights for plat card:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskAmex/s...53601179529216

Original question:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sdice/sta...49619002576896
Looks like the reply has been removed. TPG has a screenshot of it posted:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/amex-5x-on-airfare/
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have bought more airline tickets than Starbucks drinks this year (though lots of coffee at independent coffee shops).

Grocery stores and gas stations would be my preference. It would complement the CSR's categories and actually get me to put the card in my wallet when I am not travelling.
This may surprise you, but I can guarantee that Amex are not interested in complementing the CSR's bonus categories.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by taliesin
This may surprise you, but I can guarantee that Amex are not interested in complementing the CSR's bonus categories.
And I don't think that people spending on groceries and gas stations is their core demographic for a card with a $450 AF.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:56 pm

When I called yesterday the CSR told me a change is coming on the 6th for the travel credit too
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:01 pm

I hope this means they will let people change the 3x category on their BGR card if they currently have airfare selected (as I do).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
The 5x rumor is true I called AMEX and it starts October 6. If this is the only big surprise, sorry but it is lame and can't match to the reserve. If they introduce this in conjunction with a 100,000 bonus, then maybe they will get some hype. But to truly match they need the 100,000 plus $300 unrestricted travel credit plus this 5x, just IMO.
Strategically, it's not a bad move. Amex knew they had to do something quickly and something that is not going to be short-lived. The 5x for airfare is awesome because anyone who is spending 5K a year on airfare will be getting 10K extra MR worth $200. So, more reason to keep Amex. With Platinum, they probably still want to maintain this card as a Premium card and the true competitor to Chase Reserve might be down the road. Depending on your spending habits, many (at least 50%) of Platinum customers might be better off now sticking with the Amex Platform: Platinum, EDP and PRG as the 10,000 extra MR will pay for the additional fees for EDP and PRG.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that speaking of rumors, the rumor is that Chase will reduce the 100,000 points bonus (unknown to what) at some point in the near future. It's just an introductory amount of bonus, not a permanent amount of bonus.

So all Amex may have to do it is wait a little to see what they want to do and they'll no longer have to make the bonus 100,000 to match what Chase could be doing at that point.

Besides, there's already:
Amex has seen what a 100k bonus brings on and doesn't seem to like it.

And the Chase Reserve card is too new for anyone (Chase or Amex) to know how many people got it mostly just for the 100k bonus and will cancel or downgrade a year out.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cclv
When I called yesterday the CSR told me a change is coming on the 6th for the travel credit too
Would be nice it it went up.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mariott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold
And for those of us who currently have or have ever had the Amex Plat, offering a 100k MR signup is worthless since we won't be eligible anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by taliesin
Doesn't matter... I was talking about what *my* preference would be (and also offering one scenario where they would capture more of my spend). It doesn't surprise me that my goals aren't necessarily aligned with Amex.

Originally Posted by roundtree
And I don't think that people spending on groceries and gas stations is their core demographic for a card with a $450 AF.
I'd think very few people who post in middle of the day on Flyertalk to speculate about new Amex cards are in their core demographics for a $450 AF card @:-)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'd think very few people who post in middle of the day on Flyertalk to speculate about new Amex cards are in their core demographics for a $450 AF card @:-)
Independently wealthy people aren't in their core demographics for a $450 AF card?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swirlsaepi
And for those of us who currently have or have ever had the Amex Plat, offering a 100k MR signup is worthless since we won't be eligible anyway.
Someone finally gets it. AMEX has already offered the 100k several times and I think almost everyone on FT (and many who aren't on FT) have already had the Plat card. A refresh doesn't do much good. They need to offer a new card for me to care at all.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
The AP has confirmed:

https://twitter.com/APBusiness/statu...07840413310976

5x MR points for airfare bought with AMEX Platinum directly from airlines or on the AMEX travel website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.