Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by GiantCow
Guess I just underestimated the number of short haul UA fliers coming out of SFO. ...
Just for fun, I checked the United website for flights that I would consider possible "Commuter" destinations out of SFO. I checked the following destinations:
Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Burbank, Ontario, Fresno, Palm Springs, Redding, Sacramento, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Reno and Las Vegas.
For those destinations tomorrow (6/20), United has 74 non-stop departures from SFO and an equal number of arrivals.

Last edited by TravelStar; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
It's pretty amazing how many places you can get to from SFO on a one hour flight.

Last edited by Katlor; Jun 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Not a bad deal if you can use the lounge well over 100 times in a year!
It's okay if a road warrior Plat cardholder uses the lounge >100 times in a year. That's not why there's overcrowding. It's families with those damn kids.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think Amex is really over thinking the solution to cut down on crowding. It's really simple:

1. primary cardholders and immediate family defined as spouse and up to two children or other family members traveling together - during peak times when seating is on waitlist, no additional guests beyond spouse and two children without a fee, family or not
2. no more corporate supplemental cardholders - no entry to the lounge at all - this should kill off overcrowding in places like SFO just by itself
3. supplemental personal cardholders (i.e., family member with supplemental card) can enter, but no guests (avoids guest pyramiding with primary cardholder)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I was at SFO earlier tonight and got a seat. But it was busy throughout my visit and most, if not all, seats were taken.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think Amex is really over thinking the solution to cut down on crowding. It's really simple:

1. primary cardholders and immediate family defined as spouse and up to two children or other family members traveling together - during peak times when seating is on waitlist, no additional guests beyond spouse and two children without a fee, family or not
2. no more corporate supplemental cardholders - no entry to the lounge at all - this should kill off overcrowding in places like SFO just by itself
3. supplemental personal cardholders (i.e., family member with supplemental card) can enter, but no guests (avoids guest pyramiding with primary cardholder)
So I have had the same girlfriend for 24 years, not married due to financial reasons. We travel everywhere together. Could you at least also include "common law" marriage in the mix?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I always get a kick out of how have a knack for declaring the "easy fix" that of course ensures it covers your use case...

Regards
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by scubadu
I always get a kick out of how have a knack for declaring the "easy fix" that of course ensures it covers your use case...
I personally *hate* complicated rules. Every Platinum card holder gets one guest. A guest is anyone : spouse, friend, kid, baby. If you need more than one guest, you pay $x per guest; based on space being available. (High occupancy days, only allow the one guest.) I'm sure if you make the $x around $30 to $50, it will definitely limit the number of guests. Anything over 1 complimentary guest, IMHO, is way too generous.

Alternatively, every cardholder gets x-guests per year (like guest credits), and they can use the credits for guests as they see fit; but once they use up the "guest credits" they are done until the next calendar year. (of course, this is just an incentive for people to get supplementary cards, but those still have a cost/trouble relationship)

I know a lot of lounges restrict "guests" if they are at capacity. For example, someone the other day was saying that an Air France Lounge (at IAD, I believe) was restricting Priority Pass Members due to capacity issues. (I know, this is not exactly a parallel situation, but I see no reason why guests should not be restricted if a Centurion Lounge is near capacity.)

Perhaps, the only exception to the Platinum-Guest rule is Centurion Cardholders. But, that's such a small subset I highly doubt it would have a huge impact (perhaps I am wrong).

I know Delta SkyClubs effectively cut down on crowds (families, extra guests) by requiring a payment for all guests when using an AMEX Platinum card or SkyClub base membership for admission. And I also know Delta counts kids as guests, on a per kid basis.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Jun 20, 2017 at 6:31 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
... make it even simpler then. No guests, period. If you want access, pay for it. Stop freeloading.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why does anyone assume that American Express sees lounging crowding as a problem to be solved? It's not a problem, it's an indication that demand exceeds capacity. It allows American Express to increase prices. They have done this, but it doesn't apply to existing cardholders until September, which means we won't see any reduction in lounge visits this summer -unless- the new rules for family guests have an effect.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:24 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by kb9522
... make it even simpler then. No guests, period. If you want access, pay for it. Stop freeloading.
Not sure I would call it freeloading. Guests are a stated benefit, just like any other stated benefit.

Originally Posted by mia
Why does anyone assume that American Express sees lounging crowding as a problem to be solved? It's not a problem, it's an indication that demand exceeds capacity. It allows American Express to increase prices. They have done this, but it doesn't apply to existing cardholders until September, which means we won't see any reduction in lounge visits this summer -unless- the new rules for family guests have an effect.
This is a very valid point. So, I guess, we'll have to wait and see.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Not sure I would call it freeloading. Guests are a stated benefit, just like any other stated benefit.
When you get something for nothing, it's called freeloading. If these "guests" want access... let them pay for it.

Why should those who travel solo have to subsidize access for the Griswold family vacation? Alternatively, if those who entered without guests received additional benefits, that would be acceptable as well.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
When you get something for nothing, it's called freeloading. If these "guests" want access... let them pay for it.

Why should those who travel solo have to subsidize access for the Griswold family vacation? Alternatively, if those who entered without guests received additional benefits, that would be acceptable as well.
I agree with your point, however utilizing published benefits of a product is not the definition of "freeloading" at all.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I mostly travel alone or with one guest (my freeloading wife).

Most cards have a bunch of benefits I use and another bunch of benefits that I pay for and don't use. I thus always "subsidize" someone who is using a benefit that I don't. I guess one difference here is that someone else utilizing the guest benefit is potentially impacting my own "enjoyment" of the lounge benefit.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Alternatively, if those who entered without guests received additional benefits, that would be acceptable as well.
Ah... there it is... and how, specifically, would that alleviate crowding in the lounge?

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.