Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
The world is made of hypocritical irony
I would suggest that the world is made more interesting by hypocritical irony.

Last edited by mia; Sep 4, 2017 at 7:46 am Reason: Repair formatting.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by transportprof
I would suggest that the world is made more interesting by hypocritical irony.
You credited me with MT_Switch's post.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by mhdena
You credited me with MT_Switch's post.
This mis-attributed quote was actually caused by a formatting error in post 899. I have edited 899, 900 and 901 to match words with names.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Last two times at the SFO lounge I could barely get a table at around 7pm. The guest limitation hasn't helped and while the quality isn't great it's still better than any domestic airline lounge. I was entitled to go to the UA lounge but chose the Centurion because at least I can get hot food there. If UA served decent hot food like every other *A carrier that would take some of the pressure off but I gather bad domestic lounges are part of why the Centurion is so popular. I really hope they open one in TLV! I guess what I'm saying is, it isn't great but it's better than the alternative.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmm trying to charge for second kid isn't helping to reduce overcrowding... who would have thought!
well it does help amex to make a few extra $ and in the end thats all that matters
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the solution is really simple - first, block supplemental business card holders from lounge access and assess the effect on crowding. There is no reason why these techie-types from the Bay Area should be handing out supplemental cards like candy and the lounges are completely full of employees with no room for card account owners.

That's an easy fix that has little to no impact towards account holders.

Then, if the problem is still not solved, we need a limit on the number of non-family and family guests a primary card holder can bring into the lounge - two family members or one non-family guest. No guest privileges for supplemental card holders (i.e., no guest stacking).

Then, if that doesn't fix the problem I would say we need a cap on the number of guests during peak time - essentially access is limited to the primary cardholder plus spouse only, during specific peak hours designated at each lounge.

Limited the number of annual visits for a primary cardholder is not a fair option while allowing unfiltered guests and supplemental cardholders access.
I really can't imagine Amex implementing a policy aimed at turning away tech workers at SFO. Turning off a cohort of young professionals with mind-boggling amounts of disposable income at a time when Chase is the hot new thing in credit cards and Amex's overall business is sagging? Strikes me as a cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face situation.

Those are exactly the customers Amex *needs* right now.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The solution is so simple from my perspective and that of others here: a limit of lounge visits per year, per person. You, your spouse, your work colleagues, your kids -- doesn't matter. Humans in the lounge. That's what matters for crowding purposes. You get this many lounge visits per year on the Plat card. (Centurion card is beyond my experience or understanding, so I have nothing to say about that.)

And if some solo road warriors or family travelers give Amex a ton of business on the Plat card, reward them with a higher limit of lounge visits.

There, Amex -- I solved your problem. You'll receive my invoice shortly.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
Can we pay you in MR points and/or lounge credits?

-Amex
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Can we pay you in MR points and/or lounge credits?

-Amex
Just let me and my whole family sit at those tables reserved for Centurion cardholders and we're cool.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
In the SFO lounge right now and there is no where to sit. There is a desk agent who I've never seen before. She isn't wearing the normal uniform. Just a white button down shirt (manager?). And she is walking around asking people at tables to share with others or consolidate as there is no space.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by JHake10
In the SFO lounge right now and there is no where to sit. There is a desk agent who I've never seen before. She isn't wearing the normal uniform. Just a white button down shirt (manager?). And she is walking around asking people at tables to share with others or consolidate as there is no space.
I have never been to the SFO lounge when it was anything else than full capacity.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
MIA on Labor Day from 8:30 to 9:15 PM was nearly at capacity. Having to squeeze past people to get to the bar or buffet and people wandering around trying to find seats. It wasn't much fun.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by dhuey
The solution is so simple from my perspective and that of others here: a limit of lounge visits per year, per person. You, your spouse, your work colleagues, your kids -- doesn't matter. Humans in the lounge. That's what matters for crowding purposes. You get this many lounge visits per year on the Plat card. (Centurion card is beyond my experience or understanding, so I have nothing to say about that.)

And if some solo road warriors or family travelers give Amex a ton of business on the Plat card, reward them with a higher limit of lounge visits.

Exactly.

Maybe x visits per membership year, and you get extra passes for every $10,000 in spend (or pick another number).

Another option is to provide x passes per year, plus you can buy passes (per visit or in bulk) at a discount.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
New Larger DFW Lounge [2018]

Looks like AMEX has secured a new larger space in DFW. The current lounge will continue to operate until the new lounge is open.

The new DFW lounge is going to have 3000 square feet more space [for a total of 12000 square feet] and is expected to open in the first half of 2018. They’ll go from 2 to 3 shower suites and add private telephone rooms and a private mother’s room.
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....turion-lounge/

Fingers crossed SFO gets expanded!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Fingers crossed SFO gets expanded!
Might be better to keep the current SFO lounge and add another of similar size in T2 or T1-C if space opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.