Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Ritz Carlton Hong Kong

Ritz Carlton Hong Kong

Booked "deluxe harbour room" and received "deluxe suite, 1 bedroom suite, 1 king, harbour" which is a 7 category jump according to the FHR site. The suite was a corner room (not sure if they all are, but this one was). Absolutely spectacular view from the 110th floor.

Staff was unreal, room was unreal, food was unreal. Used the $100 USD F&B credit at Ozone on the 118th floor and everything, including tip, was covered. I was only at the property for 1 night, but I'll definitely go back because it was personally one of my most enjoyable hotel stays ever.

Important note: don't stay there if you plan to walk anywhere (i.e. you don't want to take the subway or a taxi / uber).
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Shangri-La Pudong, Shanghai

Took advantage of the 3rd night free deal from East Shanghai Shangri-La. Booked a "river wing deluxe room 1 king city view" and received a "river wing deluxe Bund view" which is a 2 category upgrade according to the FHR site. This was in the older tower closest to the Bund.

Hotel was quite nice, although the front desk was very slow both at check-in and check-out. I booked 3 rooms under the same reservation and as part of the upgrade we were given access to the Horizon Club which is basically a lounge floor offering breakfast, snacks and cocktails at various times throughout the day. Breakfast was very good although there was far more selection available at the restaurant on the 2nd floor.

$125 USD F&B credits were used at the top-floor bar in the new tower (I forget the name of the place) and at the Exchange Bar & Grill in the older building's basement.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Four Seasons Dubai Jumeirah

Booked a basic room for AED850, got upgraded to a Jumeirah seaview which is five categories above the basic room.

Also got a food voucher worth AED370.

Very satisfied to say the least
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner

Booked a Jr Suite so no further room upgrade mentioned or offered.
$100 property credit, which we used (most of) at the bar.
$60 breakfast credit, works for room service or at the bar, which is converted to a coffee and minor pastries bar in the morning. It does not work at the "3rd party" restaurant at the hotel, which is the only restaurant that serves full breakfast in the morning (this was not clearly explained at check in). By the time we came downstairs and realized this, we didn't have time for room service.
Late checkout 4pm, but did not use.
Check in agent was a little scattered and confused about the FHR benefits, had to ask a couple of times about benefit details and pull info from her.

One final note, the Jr Suite was large, recently renovated, but woefully under furnished. No living room-type seating, just a desk, small table, and chair, in a huge open space.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:24 am

I'm staying in Siem Reap in Feb 2017 and just checked the FHR website. It only allows me to book until the end of 2016. When will early 2017 become available?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:45 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
.... When will early 2017 become available?
This is a recurring issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...contracts.html

You should review that thread to guard against my faulty memory, but it depends on when the 2017 contracts are agreed. I think this is typically well into the 4th quarter, and there are usually some stragglers.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:57 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Terranea Resort, Los Angeles

Third night free.

Fabulous upgrade to HUUGE casita suite with kitchen and lounge.

$100 credit applied to restaurant.

4 pm late checkout offered and accepted.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:51 am

Post Ritz Carlton Tokyo

Took advantage of 4th night free offer. IIRC, we booked a base category room.

Checkin person didn't seem very familiar with FHR terms.

Noon check-in: Unavailable. Waited 1.5 hrs in the lobby until almost 3pm. Someone came by midway to apologize and say that checkin time is usually 3pm. The lobby REEKS of cigarette smoke if anyone is smoking at the bar. I would've likely had a drink at the bar some evening but the smell kept me away.

Upgrade: No mention of upgrade and did not ask. Told us we were getting the popular "'mt Fuji view" which sounded like a one level upgrade. When we got to the room, its actually a city view. Didn't care, so we didn't bring it up.

Room: Stunning city view. Very tastefully appointed room with a spacious bathroom. Massive TV. Fantastic bed and linens.

FHR credit: used towards 50% of a spa facial (she said it was quite good)

Breakfast credit: More beautiful views from the dining area. Breakfast was ok - not particularly fond of the way they serve scrambled eggs in those containers. Servers remember you by name after day 1 which is a nice touch. Their iced coffee is the worst we have tasted in our lives (without exaggeration) - to remedy this after day 2, we would order espresso with a glass of ice.

Probably the swankiest hotel we've stayed in but would not return for those regular rates and don't like that area of Roppongi that's geared towards expats
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:22 pm

Post Grand Hyatt Tokyo

Had a reservation for one of the lower category rooms. Called around 10am to ask if we could check in a bit earlier than noon to which they obliged, which was nice.

Checkin: Went over FHR benefits, they apologized about unavailability of any upgrades. Room was quite nice, some of the furniture looked a bit dated (maybe we only noticed because we had just been at the RC).

Breakfast: quite an extensive spread (iirc, not as much variety as GH Taipei had a few years back but still quite good)

Used the $125 F&B credit for inroom dining which was ok.

It was the weekend so there were loads of families at the next door mall, there were lots of family friendly events and games.

The Haneda airport bus has a scheduled pick up at the GH so that was quite convenient (but the stop is possibly the first one and so its almost an hour ride)

We enjoyed our stay, service was excellent , staff were all very warm and friendly (at the RC its a bit more stiff).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Hyatt Tamaya, New Mexico

Early check in - used
Food & Bev credit - used at restaurant and bars
Upgrade - see below...
Here is the review I posted on Tripadvisor - needless to say I was not happy with the stay:
So I just got done with a two night stay at the Tamaya Resort. And let me begin with the good: the views are beautiful. But that's it. Everything else is definitely not up to par with the 5 star rating they claim to have.
The bad:
1) The first night I was unable to sleep for the majority of the night. I kept setting the air conditioner on auto and turning off the "green setting" to be woken up 45 minutes later sweating while the temperature was up to 78 degrees. I called down and complained and they said they had to come in person. Long story short they claimed a manager would be notified of the situation and I'd be contacted. No contact ever happened.
2) I booked through Amex FH&R and have Hyatt Platinum status and was "upgraded" To the same room that my coworker had who never stays with Hyatt and was paying a much lower rate than the Amex rate. I just had a better view. Same exact room, same exact size, just a higher floor and a view of the mountain. No double upgrade, frankly not an upgrade at all in my book.
3) The service was awful. Not only was I not called by a manager to discuss the situation I had complained to the front desk about, but when checking out they didn't even ask if everything had been ok. I would have reminded them of my sleepless night and unhappiness with the the so called upgrade, but no, they didn't bother to ask how things had been.
4) You apparently have to ask for drinks from the attendant at the Regency club. Really annoying since they don't have a full time bartender. They should just have bottles of drinks there and ask people to write down what they consumed. Tacky on my book.

All in all I'm extremely disappointed. I don't believe this hotel is a five star resort, at all. And on top of that and most importantly I'm very disheartened that when I raised concerns with the hotel, I did not receive a call, a letter, a credit, NOTHING. I definitely do not recommend and definitely do not recommend any AMEX users to book here. I will be calling AMEX and letting them know how unhappy I am with this hotel. It does not live up to the Fine Hotels and Resorts program standards by a mile.

PS. If you have people on top of you... Forget about sleeping all together, because you will hear every step they take. Everyone at the conference I was attending complained about this.

Stayed June 2016, traveled on business
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:24 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Juanefny
... I will be calling AMEX and letting them know how unhappy I am with this hotel.
https://www.rateyourfhrstay.com/Feedback
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
This is a recurring issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...contracts.html

You should review that thread to guard against my faulty memory, but it depends on when the 2017 contracts are agreed. I think this is typically well into the 4th quarter, and there are usually some stragglers.
As of today, some hotels have offers that go into 2017. e.g. Rosewood Tucker's Point has an offer that runs until the end of January, and De L'Europe Amsterdam has one that goes to the end of March.

Hotels seem to be bookable into 2017 on the website too, although I haven't followed all the way through on a booking that far out. It does complain about dates more than 330 days in the future.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:57 pm

Angry Ritz-Carlton Georgetown

Booked Premier room and clerk mentioned that hotel is overbooked and they are not able to offer upgrade via FHR program. When I pointed that basic suite is listed and available to book via Ritz Carlton website, they agreed to upgrade me only if I pay additional $150 plus tax.
Amex refused to compensate me that fee after I officially disputed that charge (Amex cited hotel response that I agreed to pay this upgrade charge).
This is a very shady practice from both Ritz Carlton Georgetown and FHR program. If room is available - upgrade should be comped, period.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SunBurnt
Booked Premier room and clerk mentioned that hotel is overbooked and they are not able to offer upgrade via FHR program. When I pointed that basic suite is listed and available to book via Ritz Carlton website, they agreed to upgrade me only if I pay additional $150 plus tax.
Amex refused to compensate me that fee after I officially disputed that charge (Amex cited hotel response that I agreed to pay this upgrade charge).
This is a very shady practice from both Ritz Carlton Georgetown and FHR program. If room is available - upgrade should be comped, period.
Wow. Where to begin....

Sure you would like the FHR program to provide you with the presidential suite when booking standard room. So do I but that's not how the FHR program works. Upgrade is subject to availability so there is no upgrade guaranteed to begin with and only certain room categories are in subject to the FHR program. This is spelled out in the FHR website.

Front desk informed you upfront there is a charge and you agreed to it. Case closed. AMEX is correct to deny your dispute.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SunBurnt
This is a common mis-understanding of the Fine Hotels and Resorts upgrades. The small print indicates that you are eligible for a single level upgrade if it's availlable. Your upgrade to a suite, even if the suite is available, did not qualify as a single level upgrade.

Some hotels are flexible here, and will give you more than 1 level if it's available, but they don't have to. Clearly, the RC Georgetown is not one of the flexible hotels.

Be aware too that some hotels have some room levels that you are explicitly not allowed to upgrade to - but you have to call American Express to find out what these are. I managed to book myself a room at the Fairmont Orchid that fell into this, and I got a letter at checkin listing the rooms that had this exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.