Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BioRad
Sorry for the newbie question:

In order to qualify for the benefits of FHR, do you need to use the Platinum card to pay for the stay? I.E. I wanted to book the Park Hyatt, can I go through the American Express FHR portal and make the reservation with the Hyatt card instead?
If you scroll up this has already been answered. Per the rules, yes you must pay with an Amex card. However you can try to pay with another card and maybe they will accept it, or maybe they won't. It depends if the front desk agent is paying attention or not.

I just added this to the Wiki as the question comes up from time to time.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by United747
You need to pay with an AmEx. It doesn't have to be a plat/cent.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Ritz-Carlton Santiago, Chile

Just returned from a very satisfactory FHR stay at the Ritz Carlton Santiago.

At check-in, was handed a letter outlining the benefits. I arrived after check-in time, so I did not need an early check-in.

- Room upgrade to a junior suite, which we received. (I noticed by checking my Marriott account that I had been pre-blocked into the room the night before.) All of the junior suites are on the higher floors, with views on the preferable side of the building
- Full buffet breakfast at the hotel restaurant
- $100 USD dining credit, which we used at the hotel restaurant for dinner, which actually fully covered the restaurant's 5-course tasting menu, including wine pairings! I was also happy to see that when the hotel converted the credit to Chilean Pesos, they used a fair exchange rate, which has not always been the case with FHR properties in the past.
- In-room internet
- 4 pm checkout, which I requested and was granted

Upon checking in, the hotel also left a welcome amenity in our room consisting of a platter of delicious pastries and a bottle of red wine.

As our flight was not until late at night, we left our luggage and upon returning, were able to use the spa locker room facilities to shower and change before leaving for the airport, which was perfect given the hot summer weather.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Loews Chicago Hotel

Stay: January 28 - 31
Early Checkin: 12:00PM
Late Checkout: 4:00PM
Upgrade: Premium King to Junior Suite
Breakfast: $60/day credit in either Rural Society restaurant or in-room dining
WiFi: Premium wifi at $12/day included
Unique Property Benefit: $100 Food & Beverage Credit (used for in-room dining, Starbucks and dinner in Rural Society restaurant)

Phenomenal property, superb service, third night free

Loews Chicago Hotel
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:02 pm

Towers at Lotte, New York

Stay: 2/5 - 2/7
Check in: 3PM
Late Check Out: 4PM (although left at 1PM)
Upgrade: Standard Room--> Executive Suite
Breakfast: $100/day. If you have it in your room, it's effectively $66 of buying power on their menu. Mind you, continental breakfast is $33. But you can also use it in their lounges, bars, and in house bakery, etc. We were satisfied with one of us getting an American breakfast ($40), and the other getting a breakfast burrito or belgian waffle (~$26), whilst sharing everything.
Wifi: Included - didn't use it
Unique Property Benefit: $100 spa credit... cheapest service started at $175 - and we were too busy exploring to schedule and use it, etc.

All in all - LOVED it. The VIEW was amazing from the 48th floor. Would gladly do it again. We even got a tour of the upper floors (special rooms that encompass the top corners of the Towers). Everything was given with smiles and just great service all together.

They even left a card and a birthday chocolate mousse cake (FANTASTIC) on the table when we got in. Bravo. ^^^
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Loews Hôtel Vogue Montreal

Originally Posted by echino
Booked Luxury King, which is their standard room, got upgraded to Executive Suite, which is a multi-level upgrade.

Tried checking in at 1pm, but had to wait until about 3pm for the upgraded suite to be ready, did not mind a bit.

Late check out 4pm used.

Property credit C$100 (not US$100 as shown on the FHR website and reservation confirmation), used for restaurant.

Breakfast is C$40 per person credit.

Great location in downtown.
Loews Hôtel Vogue Montreal.

Booked base room. Check-in at 13h. Upgraded to Luxury King Suite.

Breakfast is $30USD per person up to two people at La Société or room service.

Found a one-nighter rate for $199CAD. Credit is $100USD. Check-in even mentioned it is about $140CAD. Letter given also stated $100 USD. In addition to dining, credit can be used for mini-bar, in-room movie, parking, premium internet. Effectively room is $60CAD pre-tax.

Comp internet is capped at 1.6 Mbps.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:05 pm

St Regis Bangkok
Booked deluxe room and maybe upgraded to better view
Daily breakfast is buffet in restaurant and just okay … I’m not a buffet person tho
Dinner at Jojo … it was a set menu (completely different from main menu) for FHR/Virtuoso type bookings and absolutely terrible
Offered late check out, but did not use

Arrived around noon and had to wait two hours to check in. Service around the property was acceptable, but nothing exceptional. Nothing would have me wanting to return to this property. Part of that probably had to do with the fact I didn’t like Bangkok.

Park Hyatt Dubai
Booked park king and maybe upgraded to better view
Daily breakfast is buffet in restaurant and the pastries only impressive part. Fruit, egg dishes, etc. were all limited. On final morning was departing at 4 am to catch a flight and restaurant wasn’t open so asked if I could order room service. They gave me a form to fill out with a few limited choices.
Spa credited is special amenity … spa meh
Late check out not used with 4 am departure

Service at this property was generally lacking. Restaurant choice on-site I found poor and nothing really walkable (other than mall across the street with a bunch of chain type restaurants). Before checking in at Park Hyatt stayed at Al Maha (did not book via FHR as no reason to) and service/experience was night and day better at Al Maha.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:33 pm

Trump Waikiki

booked a 1 bedroom city view, on check in received an oceanview 1 bedroom with den. worked out well as we could watch the hilton fireworks from our suite on friday night.

all amenities were honored, bfast was great, they give you coupons at check-in.

booked on promotion, buy 3 nights get the 4th night free.

everything went smoothly, i would return without hesitation.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Fairmont Waterfront

Booked signature harbour view
Upgraded to signature harbour view corner
The view is stunning. View of the water from both windows.

Breakfast amenity is now the full buffet, including hot food items and eggs made to order.

F&B credit was $126 CAD, which was about $7 off the midmarket exchange rate.

Wifi is included in FHR rate but as a Fairmont Platinum I got premium wifi complimentary. I'm not sure if FHR is basic or premium.

Service is excellent all around. Breakfast service was very attentive and I was not left wanting for anything.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Rosewood Hotel Georgia - Vancouver

Haven't made it to the room yet, but was informed at check in that I was upgraded to a junior suite. Agent at front desk made it sound like this upgrade is normally not given, not in any condescending way or anything, she just mentioned a "very big" upgrade. Breakfast is served either via room service or at Hawksworth and $100 hotel credit is USD denominated. Chief Concierge Matthew is also a great asset for the hotel.

Edit: Got to my room, it's quite large. It's considered a junior suite, but everywhere else it's one bedroom. Too bad it's just me and only for a night.

Last edited by United747; Mar 8, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:12 pm

Peninsula New York
3-night stay (third night free)
12pm check in honored
4pm check out offered and honored
upgrade to largest non-suite room, spacious, facing 55th St
$100 hotel credit - applied to rooftop bar without issues
Breakfast is $52/per person per day credit - can be used at Clement (excellent) or Room Service

Furnishings were surprisingly bruised, but room was spacious and service was excellent. Fantastic location. Rooftop pool is a plus. Exercise & yoga classes are free to hotel guests. Coffee and tea available for free poolside.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Peninsula New York
3-night stay (third night free)
12pm check in honored
4pm check out offered and honored
upgrade to largest non-suite room, spacious, facing 55th St
$100 hotel credit - applied to rooftop bar without issues
Breakfast is $52/per person per day credit - can be used at Clement (excellent) or Room Service

Furnishings were surprisingly bruised, but room was spacious and service was excellent. Fantastic location. Rooftop pool is a plus. Exercise & yoga classes are free to hotel guests. Coffee and tea available for free poolside.
Glad that you had a great stay
what kind of room did you book ?
USD 104 breakast credit, is that a record ?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
Glad that you had a great stay
what kind of room did you book ?
I booked a superior and received an upgrade to Grande Luxe
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CGRA
Not even close when you go back to the days when the dollar was very low against the Euro and Pound, breakfast at the MO London for instance rang it at well over $100 for two people. I think it still probably does.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Not even close when you go back to the days when the dollar was very low against the Euro and Pound, breakfast at the MO London for instance rang it at well over $100 for two people. I think it still probably does.
Most I've "paid" so far is at the Four Seasons Bora Bora - I calculated the dollar equivalent price of a little under $120 for 2 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.