Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not even close when you go back to the days when the dollar was very low against the Euro and Pound, breakfast at the MO London for instance rang it at well over $100 for two people. I think it still probably does.
don't you miss this time, you know when we were rich with our euros
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Hotel 1000 Seattle

1 night stay
Check-in at 1pm
Check-out at 1pm
Booked a Grand Lux Parlor Suite. No upgrade as the hotel was full
$100 property credit - used in Boka for lunch and cocktails
Breakfast is not listed with a value, but can be in Boka or Room Service. We spent $40 for 2 before tax and tip.

This hotel has just been bought by Loews and a remodel is planned for later this year.

This location is a little south of downtown, and was perfect for dinner at a new restaurant - Heartwood Provisions - a block away.

We talked to another Flyertalker using FHR for the night in the bar too!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Fairmont Pacific Rim

4 night stay, with one night complimentary

Booked Fairmont Room, got a generous 2 category upgrade to Deluxe Partial Harbour View.
I'm a Fairmont Platinum and emailed ahead to inquire using room/suite upgrade certificates, but was advised that my stay fell on blackout days so I could not use the certificates. Not sure if this influenced the 2 category upgrade.

Breakfast amenity was full buffet or a la carte, with 15% gratuity already included - not added to your folio, it's just included as part of the rate.

F&B credit was $125 CAD which is equivalent to their posted exchange rate of $1 USD = $1.25 CAD. About $7 short of midmarket exchange rate.

Wifi is included in FHR rate but as a Fairmont Platinum I got premium wifi complimentary. I'm not sure if FHR is basic or premium.

Service was excellent. Concierge was able to help me secure a table at a fully booked Miku in a prime time slot by speaking with the manager.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
Cavallo Point, Sausalito CA

Stay: March 4 - 7
Early Checkin: Not used
Late Checkout: 4:00PM offered but not used
Upgrade: Contemporary Deluxe King to Contemporary Deluxe Suite
Breakfast: Breakfast in restaurant or in-room dining (anything from menu)
WiFi: Free sitewide
Unique Property Benefit: $100 Food & Beverage Credit (used for dinner at Farley Bar)

New addition to FHR for 2016 with a stay for three nights, pay for two offer. Amazing location with bridge views; just across the bridge and a short drive to Sausalito. The included breakfast was delicious; they said to pick whatever we wanted, and only the tip appeared on our bill. The grounds are well-kept and the staff in the restaurant and bar are great. Not a perfect stay as the room the put us in had a loud family above (there's very little noise insulation between the floors in the contemporary rooms, which defies belief). We asked to move and it was a whole ordeal to get this done with little followthrough between front desk staff. Didn't let it ruin our stay. If you want peace and quiet, insist on behind on the top floor.

Last edited by James Fleming; Mar 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Possible Multiple Benefits per Stay

Hello,

Wondering if it is possible - with an FHR offering 3rd night free - to book a two night stay, use the benefit, then have a second booking (same hotel) for another two nights (different name - spouse's for instance) and use the 3rd night benefit on that stay as well, all totaling a 6 night stay for only 4 nights paid.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Also, in one of the hotels I was researching - do not remember which - the 4th night free offer was not specifically written to be PER STAY, in this scenario, could I stay 8 nights and pay 6, using the rationale that I am awarded a 4th night free every 4th night?

Finally - does anyone know when bookings for January 2017 become available?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
W Hotel Times Square - NY

Stay: 2 nights Fri-Sun
Early Checkin: Not used, but was offered
Late Checkout: 3pm confirmed at check in
Upgrade: From Wonderful King room (26th floor) to a Cool Corner room, 55th floor, with view over Hudson river and Broadway. Very nice!
Breakfast: Roomservice breakfast with small selection of america nbreakfast items, coffee, juice. Bottle of water was charged separately (10$)
WiFi: Premium wifi free
Unique Property Benefit: $100 Food & Beverage Credit, which we used at Dos Caminos. Credit was given to the room bill.
Rate: ~260$ / night with taxes
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler

Wondering if it is possible - with an FHR offering 3rd night free - to book a two night stay, use the benefit, then have a second booking (same hotel) for another two nights (different name - spouse's for instance) and use the 3rd night benefit on that stay as well, all totaling a 6 night stay for only 4 nights paid.

Has anyone had experience with this?
This is possible, but your spouse needs their own Platinum card. This can be an Authorized User card for $175 per year

Also, in one of the hotels I was researching - do not remember which - the 4th night free offer was not specifically written to be PER STAY, in this scenario, could I stay 8 nights and pay 6, using the rationale that I am awarded a 4th night free every 4th night?
This is allowed for some resorts - I did this at the Fairmont Orchid last year.

Amex hides this information, but my site (link in the post footer) has it right there with the offer details on each hotel page. Right now, 40 of the almost 400 offers allows the free night to be repeated. This number has tumbled this year - in 2015, almost 60% of offers were repeatable, this year, about 10%

Finally - does anyone know when bookings for January 2017 become available?
The next year offers start to appear about mid October
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Amex hides this information, but my site (link in the post footer) has it right there with the offer details on each hotel page.
Amazing, was looking for you on FT - guess I lucked into it! Had tweeted you

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Shangri-La Vancouver

I will write in about this FHR stay as it was a pretty dreadful check-in experience.

I booked 4 nights in a 1 bedroom suite w/ 4th night complimentary.

I arrived at noon to check in. First, I was offered two available upgrade options: the Orchid suite @ an additional ~$500/night; and the Deluxe 1 bedroom suite, a one-category upgrade, @ an additional ~$100/night. I was told that if I took either upgrade option I could check in right away, but if not I would have to wait til 3. I inquired about the complimentary room upgrade if available as part of the FHR rate and the staff lied to my face saying that I had been upgraded already.

At this point, I really didn't appreciate being lied to and felt myself getting a bit heated. I de-escalated by going to the restaurant and calling Amex to advocate for me. The front desk staff then lied to Amex and told them that they only offered the Orchid suite and never made the one-category upgrade offer. They said they would not have made the offer because it was only available for a couple of nights and not the duration of the stay.

After I had lunch, at about 2pm, the front desk staff came to give me the keys to my room, still the same category that I originally booked in. They then told me they got a call from Amex, and that between the time I was first at the front desk and the time they got the call, they sold out of the one-category upgrade (to try to explain away their lie to Amex?). They then said the 1 bedroom suite I booked was the highest room category eligible for upgrade anyway and I was therefore not eligible for further upgrades. Now, if they hadn't lied directly to me, then lied to Amex, I would have taken that claim at face value and would have been happy to stay in the room category I booked. As it stood, I can't help but feel like I was being had.

Noon check-in not offered.
Room upgrade denied.
Breakfast amenity was free breakfast at MARKET.
On-property credit was $100 CAD excluding alcohol and mani/pedi. Did not even bother with any kind of currency conversion.
Late check-out was offered but not taken.

With the Fairmont Waterfront and Fairmont Pac Rim offering far superior FHR benefits (see my posts above) as well as far superior and more personal service, there is no reason in my mind to book the Shangri-La in Vancouver on an FHR rate. The Fairmont waterfront generally has cheaper rates anyways and beats the Shangri-La hands down on all aspects except the bathroom. All 3 properties feature complimentary downtown car service for drop-off and pick-up, so location should not be a huge concern.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:06 am

Ritz Carlton south Beach, Miami
- Late check out : 4 pm
- USD 100 resort credit used at the beach's restaurant / bar
- Breakfast : nice buffet USD 50 / pp fully waived
- Upgrade from partial sea view to ocean front with balcony

This is a relatively large hotel - 350 rooms
Some of their staff are amazing and some other are marriott quality .
The SPA is OK (they have a great "power shower" with sides jets)

The beach is of course very busy.
It's kind of difficult to have an unobstructed ocean view from your beach's chair :
This is very busy public beach so you have some people seating in front of the hotel first row
The first row is not regular beach chair but some high bed which cost about 250 + 200 of food

If someone wants to stay in the center of south beach this is a very good option to consider
If the location is not important and you're looking for something more exclusive / upscale within the marriott brand, the RC Bal Harbor will be a better option

Last edited by CGRA; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:21 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CGRA
This is public beach so you have some people seating in front of the hotel first row
For information, all beaches in Florida are public. Some resorts may create an illusion of exclusive access, but legally the wet beach is public.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
For information, all beaches in Florida are public. Some resorts may create an illusion of exclusive access, but legally the wet beach is public.
Thank you for the info.
I have edited my post

If you have 10 /20 building next to the other, how will you have access to the public beach without staying in these buildings ?
So public beach not accessible to public ?

Where in the US true private beach are legal ?

Sorry for being OT

PS so the beach in front of the "small house" of the possible US futur President is public ? Save me a spot

Last edited by CGRA; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CGRA
If you have 10 /20 building next to the other, how will you have access to the public beach without staying in these buildings ?
So public beach not accessible to public ?
In the case of Miami beach, there are never 10 buildings next to each other without a public path to the beach.

Where in the US true private beach are legal ?
In general, all beaches in the US are public. But there are some exceptions. Here is a website or use Google to find others. http://www.beachapedia.org/Beach_Access
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:59 pm

In the case of Miami beach, there are never 10 buildings next to each other without a public path to the beach.
An in other cities with 10 buildings next to each other ?
they even post sign "no trespassing"

In general, all beaches in the US are public. But there are some exceptions. Here is a website or use Google to find others. http://www.beachapedia.org/Beach_Access
Interesting, thank you.
Bonne nuit, dodo now
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I recently enjoyed two 1 night stays at the Loews Hotel Vogue in Montreal

Stay #1
Early Checkin: Not used
Late Checkout: 4:00PM offered and used
Upgrade: Luxury 2 beds to Premium 2 beds (highest room with 2 beds)
Breakfast: Breakfast in restaurant or in-room dining - $30USD X 2 - used at La Societe
WiFi: Free
Unique Property Benefit: $100USD Food & Beverage Credit used at La Societe

Stay #2
Early Checkin: Arrived at noon - suite was ready by 1pm
Late Checkout: 4:00PM offered - not used
Upgrade: Luxury king to Deluxe King suite
Breakfast: Breakfast in restaurant or in-room dining - $30USD X 2 - used for room service
WiFi: Free
Unique Property Benefit: $100USD Food & Beverage Credit used at La Societe

These were my first two stays at the Loews whereas I usually stay at the Sheraton/Westin before I dropped down to SPG Gold. I was thoroughly impressed with this hotel and the value that FHR offers. I was able to book rates of $199 and $209 CAD respectively. With the strong USD, the food/bev credits amount to $210CAD in itself! The lobster benedict was fabulous for breakfast. Unfortunately, the restaurant changed their dinner menu in the week and a half between stays as the snails on toast were great and the seafood platter increased in price. For $75 the first stay, we got a full lobster, a dozen oysters, four jumbo shrimp, crab claws, and clams - a great value. Location is great - just half a block off of Ste Catherine. The one downside would be the lack of spa. They do offer in room massages which I had on my first stay but wasn't the greatest. We went to the St James spa at the Ritz Carlton on the 2nd stay which was quite nice just around the corner.

This property will definitely be my go to going forward in Montreal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.