Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 7:23 pm

Thank you for your thoughts.

No, it started about 18 months ago. A few unfortunate events on AA that were not handed correctly to my mind, having to chase a tax refund on a ticket, a trip in vain after two mx's.. I could drastically reduce my flying and took the opportunity. But overall, like every other airline the quaity level and attitude has declined.

On this trip, I was refused a coke by a FA who only had coffee and tea on the cart. 'nuf said.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I finally got a civil person the phone and I put the lost bag and the resultant treatment this morning and another event recently in contrast to my nearly 2M miles and advised the agent if the bag didnt show up soon I would chose to treat AA as they have treated me.
Ah, yes, the good old "I'll never fly this airline again" routine, pretty much guaranteed to move your problem to the lowest possible priority. If you have decided never to fly this airline again, what incentive do they have to fix your problem? None. You are already a lost cause.

If you absolutely positively need something in your luggage, carry it on. Anything not in carryon is considered not absolutely positively necessary.

I almost always check one bag when I travel. In the past 10 years, that bag has been lost exactly once, and showed up two days later. I managed to deal with the phone reps in a polite and courteous manner, and they worked to take care of my problem.
Old May 16, 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Ah, yes, the good old "I'll never fly this airline again" routine, pretty much guaranteed to move your problem to the lowest possible priority. If you have decided never to fly this airline again, what incentive do they have to fix your problem? None. You are already a lost cause.

If you absolutely positively need something in your luggage, carry it on. Anything not in carryon is considered not absolutely positively necessary.

I almost always check one bag when I travel. In the past 10 years, that bag has been lost exactly once, and showed up two days later. I managed to deal with the phone reps in a polite and courteous manner, and they worked to take care of my problem.
Thank You Queen for your considered supportive response. You are a model of civility, have remarkable good fortune with checked luggage, and someone we should all try to emulate in our daily lives.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Baggage Supervisor's (Bad?) Advice

AA lost my luggage this past week on my way to ORD from DFW. Basically, the luggage was mishandled on Tuesday. AA knew it was sitting in OKC the whole time. They told me it was in OKC when I landed in ORD. I was flying in business casual clothes, and I had a big meeting on Thursday just after lunch with a CEO. So on Tues. night and Wed. I just bought the basic toiletries and some basic business casual clothes to tide me over.

To answer some of the objections I know are to come, the presentations were bulky and the meeting was on Thursday - 48 hours after my domestic flight. I used my carry on allowance to carry materials I needed for meetings on Wednesday. The vast majority of the time, it is okay to check materials when the meeting is 2 days away.

The big expenses were that on Wednesday night I had to recreate some printed materials for the meeting for about $120 at Fed Ex Office and Thursday at lunch I had to run and buy a suit for the meeting. I waited until the last minute in hopes I would get my bag. My total expenses because of the lost luggage were $640, and I have the receipts.

So now a supervisor in the baggage handling area is telling me that AA will probably not reimburse all of those expenses, and that their limit is $500. Also if they do reimburse me, it will take 2 months for me to receive the compensation check. I called on Wednesday, and the agent I spoke with then said that they would approve $250 per day on delayed luggage and as long as I kept receipts it should not be a big deal to be reimbursed within a week or two. It has been 3 days now, so I should be entitled to $750 according to their rules.

On other threads on this board I have read about people getting checks at the baggage counter or within days from AA. Two months seems ridiculous to me. They have told me to mail in my receipts, and that if I don't send in originals my entire claim will be denied. Finally, the supervisor told me that the department which determines compensation has no contact with customers and that their decision is final. I thought that federal law stated that airlines have to compensate flyers for reasonable expenses under $3300 for lost or delayed baggage after 24 hours.

What are my real rights here? I want my $640 back within a reasonable time frame! My credit card bills will be due before they cut me a check! I would not have had any of those expenses if they had gotten my bag to me in 24 hours!

BTW, they finally sent my bag from OKC to ORD. But now I am home in DFW. I do not have my bag yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old May 27, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: SK EBG *G
Was the flight payed with a CC that has travel insurance? That will cover your expenses in that case or parts of it at least depending on conditions.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
No travel insurance. When I flew, I was prepared for a 24 hour delay in baggage. I always travel that way. After a 24 hour delay, isn't the airline responsible for the compensation?

BTW, these expenses were necessary for the presentation. I now get the feeling that AA will try to wiggle out of its responsibilities on this matter, and that is frustrating.

Does anyone know of a way to get them to pay in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of months?
Old May 27, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeanie
No travel insurance. When I flew, I was prepared for a 24 hour delay in baggage. I always travel that way. After a 24 hour delay, isn't the airline responsible for the compensation?

BTW, these expenses were necessary for the presentation. I now get the feeling that AA will try to wiggle out of its responsibilities on this matter, and that is frustrating.

Does anyone know of a way to get them to pay in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of months?
Compensation for lost baggage is always a problem. First, they have to determine if it is lost baggage or delayed baggage, which takes a while. If it is delayed baggage, you now have a new suit (and a very nice one, if it cost $520) and everything you had before, so while they may owe you something, it probably isn't the full $520.

If you were traveling for work, your employer would likely pay for at least the printing costs.

It is always best to get a written authorization from AA before spending money that you want AA to reimburse. Of course, since you have read other threads, you already know that.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Presentation expenses would likely be viewed under the rubric of " Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."
Old May 27, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Mind Boggling Baggage Question

While at MSY last night bemoaning my continued delay I bumped into a couple who had one of the most complicated baggage issues I had heard. The folks at the airport were unable to help so was wondering what the right advise would be.

Flying MSY to DCA overnight then continuing IAD to Kenya (Ethiopian Air) next day. The DCA flight had problems so they stood by for a BWI flight (checked baggage).. Bag made it to BWI they did not. Now flying to ORD then DCA and wondering how to get their bag from BWI in time for their flight to Kenya out of IAD.

Will AA shuttle the bag to IAD for them? If they don't connect with the bag will AA arrange to get it to Kenya?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Bag damage: Am I being unreasonable?

On a recent LAX-LHR my checked bag was damaged fairly badly, an entire seam was ripped along the back. This was a cheap piece of luggage I bought for the trip since I don't like risking my good luggage getting lost in transit when all it's being used for is socks, running clothes and snacks. Never the less, I found this bag in very poor shape when I got to my hotel at LHR.

To make a long story short, I contacted AA about ten days later to let them know and request compensation (I said either money or miles would suffice). I took a while because in Russia, where I was, hotel wifi is very expensive and I had data via my phone, though AA's app doesn't allow one to email customer relations. Hence I waited until I got to France and had free internet to email through AA.com. I received an email back saying that if I didn't see an airport rep in person within 24 hours or email within seven days, there was nothing to be done.

First things first, I get it, if those are the rules, those are the rules. What upset me, though, is this: 4-5k miles as a "we're sorry" would have left me feeling just fine over the whole thing, after all, it was a $45 bag and none of the stuff inside was lost or damaged. I just felt it was poor customer service to just quote the arbitrary rule book and tell someone who'd spent A LOT on their ticket (plus another 25k miles to upgrade the segment to F) that they were SOL when all they wanted were some miles as an apology. I let them know this in a subsequent email, but I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable here?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:07 pm

No you're not being unreasonable.

I found that at least over the last several years the corporate "tone" to be, well, tone deaf. I could cite many instances of late regarding their tone with people that have left me surprised.

As I am finding out right now myself with a pilfered luggage event, they take a very authoritarian attitude and invoke policies and rules that they self servingly choose not to make people aware of.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JumboD
I let them know this in a subsequent email, but I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable here?
Not even a little bit unreasonable. Based on the "rules" you're probably going to get bupkus, but that doesn't make your request any less reasonable.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Rather than using the app, why not just go to the website on your phone?
If you found the bag damaged at LHR, wasn't there someone you could have complained to in baggage claim?
I don't see any point of having a policy in an "arbitrary rule book", if they weren't going to follow it. So, it seems that is what they did. I don't believe many crimes should have a statute of limitations, but they do.

Regarding the other poster with the pilfered items... File a police report and the airline will pay attention.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
In my opinion: If you don't report the damage at the airport after arrival, who's to say the bag wasn't damaged by someone else, later?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:30 pm

I'd file a polie report but since the items missing were last seen by my wife and I in full view of the AA recheck guy at MIA I think I'd have to file it there, or LAX where the bag was re-routed, or at PHX where it sat for 18 hours prior to delivery.

So far, I've found AA in this regard to be highly evasive to the point of concelaing the rule book they play by. And horrendously hostile and rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.