Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Last night my bag missed a connection in ORD. While talking to the Lost Baggage department over the phone, I asked if they reimburse for emergency items like toiletries. They said yes and actually said they will reimburse for clothes as well.

I am traveling on business and said I would need pants, shirt, shoes, belt, tie, etc. (not a suit) and without me providing an amount, authorized $400 of expenditures with appropriate receipts. I incurred almost that amonut this morning and was able to make it to my meetings, albeit late.

Now, reading about the experience of others here, I am now concerned that they may try to deny me the reimbursement. Especially since they have now delivered my bag to my hotel, approximately 22 hours after I landed.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by troyb
I am traveling on business and said I would need pants, shirt, shoes, belt, tie, etc. (not a suit) and without me providing an amount, authorized $400 of expenditures with appropriate receipts. I incurred almost that amonut this morning and was able to make it to my meetings, albeit late. ...
How was this authorized?

(Hopefully in writing ...)
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
Last night my bag missed a connection in ORD. While talking to the Lost Baggage department over the phone, I asked if they reimburse for emergency items like toiletries. They said yes and actually said they will reimburse for clothes as well.

I am traveling on business and said I would need pants, shirt, shoes, belt, tie, etc. (not a suit) and without me providing an amount, authorized $400 of expenditures with appropriate receipts. I incurred almost that amonut this morning and was able to make it to my meetings, albeit late.

Now, reading about the experience of others here, I am now concerned that they may try to deny me the reimbursement. Especially since they have now delivered my bag to my hotel, approximately 22 hours after I landed.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned?
I'm pretty sure you will be reimbursed, but you will have to spend some serious time on the phone getting this through.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
How was this authorized?

(Hopefully in writing ...)
Verbally, unfortunately. But I did confirm every time I called to check on my bag status. I will try to get something in writing now and also when I catch my next flight.

Originally Posted by dmitriy1
I'm pretty sure you will be reimbursed, but you will have to spend some serious time on the phone getting this through.
Hopefully.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat, Avis First Class, Marriott Platinum
Hey guys, been a member for a bit but this is my first post. Exciting!

Anyway:

Travel from DFW to ORD with a quick layover in STL (8/21.) Gold FF on AA, three seg away from Plat. When I arrived in Chicago, my bag was missing. Filed a claim with the desk at ORD and went on my way.

On 8/22, received a phone call, on my cell, at 12:30PM telling me that the bag was picked up for delivery at 11AM and will be delivered in 6 hours, per usual. 5PM, 6PM, 7PM, 8PM - Nothing. No calls, no contact. I finally call the baggage line, ask for an update and get put on hold while she contacts the driver. I get a phone call on the other line thirty seconds later from the driver telling me he will be arriving at my house within 4 hours. So 6 hours has now become 13 (and I live 15 minutes from the airport and would have picked up the bag.)

The driver arrives at about 9:30, rings the bell, gives me the bag and tells me, "I would have been here at 2:00 if you would have picked up the phone. I called several times." I asked him to show me the number he called and, sure enough, it's my cell, which is on me 24 hours a day. I asked what time he called and he said "Earlier today." We went through my call log and his number never appeared. His next comment, "Well, my printout probably changed, so whatever. Here's your bag."

I take the bag inside and the zipper, which was supposed to be in a housing, is completely ripped off and the bag half way open. My cordless drill (which travels with me for work) and my GPS are both gone. My TSA lock was unopened and there were no TSA papers inside saying my bag was inspected, so I'm fairly sure it was not them.

at 9:40, I call the ORD baggage claim and tell them the problem with both the bag being rendered useless and the items inside being gone. The ORD rep tells me, "I'd file a claim, but it'll be denied on all counts, so just forget it." I tell her that, regardless of the theft, the bag is destroyed and unusable, and she says, "I heard you, but I'm not filing the claim." She then hangs up the phone.

I call the main AA baggage line where the lady, who is extremely polite, tells me the only thing I can do is contact customer service through AA.com and tell them what happened and give them the timeline, etc.

I do this last night at about 10PM and receive an answer this morning telling me that it's too bad my thing were damaged and my stuff is gone, but they are not responsible and will not take action, but here's a $100 evoucher to make everything better. It seemed as though he simply skimmed my email and took out keywords, sending me an almost prewritten response.

I call AA back and tell them that I'm not mad about each action individually, but the comedy of errors, as well as the indifference and attitude from every person I've spoken to, has been pretty angering and something needs to be done to remedy the situation.

The person on the phone tells me the only thing I can do is go ahead and write AA customer service again but, "Don't expect anything. It's not our fault."

Where do I turn now? What should I expect, if anything? It's like AA has washed their hands of the situation and given me a $100 voucher to pacify me and go away.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zeedub
Where do I turn now? What should I expect, if anything? It's like AA has washed their hands of the situation and given me a $100 voucher to pacify me and go away.
Well, AA did tell you (on AA.com) "Carry valuable items such as electronic equipment, cameras, film, cash and jewelry with you on board the aircraft". Since you chose to ignore this, and since there is no way to tell whether your stuff was taken by an AA employee or someone else, the $100 voucher seems pretty generous to me.

I would mark it up to lesson learned (as life lessons go, this one wasn't terribly expensive) and move on.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Well, AA did tell you (on AA.com) "Carry valuable items such as electronic equipment, cameras, film, cash and jewelry with you on board the aircraft". Since you chose to ignore this, and since there is no way to tell whether your stuff was taken by an AA employee or someone else, the $100 voucher seems pretty generous to me.

I would mark it up to lesson learned (as life lessons go, this one wasn't terribly expensive) and move on.
Forget the electronics, as those can be replaced through work, but they won't even look at the bag. To intimate that I should just deal with it (the luggage destruction) is ridiculous.

To emphasize the point, when I was waiting in line at ORD to get the bag, someone who put a Louis Vitton HAND BAG under the plane had the handles ripped. The desk agent agreed to replace the bag within 4 weeks. According to you, and following AA.com's rule, that shouldn't have even been considered, because those handles can easily be ripped, but the agent didn't even argue. Just gave them a plastic bag for the contents, took the bag, and said "We'll replace it."

So rules are rules until they aren't rules and are then rules again?

Last edited by zeedub; Aug 23, 2010 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
The driver arrives at about 9:30, rings the bell, gives me the bag ... I take the bag inside and the zipper, which was supposed to be in a housing, is completely ripped off and the bag half way open.
If the bag was torn while AA had it, they should compensate you. Did you say anything to the driver about the damage or did you not notice the bag was halfway open until you had it inside?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by gemac

To follow up, not only did I get compensated for the bag, but I am also being sent compensation for the drill and GPS.

So, mark THAT up to a lesson learned.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
To follow up, not only did I get compensated for the bag, but I am also being sent compensation for the drill and GPS.

So, mark THAT up to a lesson learned.
You were lucky. The bag compensation is normally cost less depreciation. The electronics is normally not done. In the future, I would advise putting the electronics into your carryon.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:01 am

Deleting old posts

Last edited by Redakai; Apr 14, 2012 at 1:36 am Reason: Deleting old posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:28 pm

Help me!!! American Airlines Luggage Disaster Advice Needed

Fellow travelers-

On a recent trip on American Airlines from Puerto Rico to Detroit (by way of Dallas), expensive items were stolen from my suitcase somewhere in transit. However, I did not discover that the items had been stolen for a week because it took me that long to open my suitcase for the first time to unpack. When I called the airline, I was informed that they had "pillage" rules which meant any claim I had had to have been made within 24 hours of my flights.

Does anyone know of any options I might have or people I can contact at the airline who could help me? The only feeling worse than having my property taken from me is feeling that the airline doesn't care at all.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:21 pm

This should be on the AA forum, but at a guess you are <done for> - you won't be able to claim from AA as you took too long to claim and your insurance company won't touch the claim either on the grounds that you put expensive items in checked luggage

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm Reason: edit language
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, MLINER.
Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MLINER
Does anyone know of any options I might have or people I can contact at the airline who could help me? The only feeling worse than having my property taken from me is feeling that the airline doesn't care at all.
Welcome to FT!

I don't think talking to anyone at AA will do you much good. They told you correctly. This is from their Conditions of Carrage: "Items missing from checked baggage must be reported to American before leaving the airport or within 24 hours of the receipt of the bag."

If you charged the ticket to a credit card, check to see if any additional baggage coverage is included.

If the items were that valuable, I'm a bit surprised you didn't check until a week later. This could be one of those (costly) lessons learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.