Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:20 pm

What does AA usually pay when checked bags goes missing for more than a day or two?

What does AA usually pay when checked bags goes missing for more than a day or two?

If the bag never shows up, how do they determine compensation? Is it purely by weight of the bag? (49 pounds)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sandra_D

If the bag never shows up, how do they determine compensation? Is it purely by weight of the bag? (49 pounds)
This information is contained in the master thread: Baggage / luggage delay, loss - advice, compensation, prevention etc. (consolidated)
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
DFW lost bag

Has anyone had any recent experience with bags going missing when departing DFW Terminal B? Girlfriend was on an AE flight from DFW->CSG on Wednesday (three days ago) and checked two bags - one with clothes the other with Christmas presents. The bag with clothes made it while the other one didn't. The baggage service agents have not been very helpful at all and can't find any evidence that the bag even left DFW.

Not sure what to do at this point. Should I try calling the EXP desk to see if they will help on her behalf (I'm EXP, GF is PLT)? Should we suggest filing a police report, given that it seems very suspicious the missing bag is the one with the presents in it and there is no record of it entering the "system"? Of course, she's already had to spend time and money buying replacement presents for family.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:32 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Not sure what to do at this point. Should I try calling the EXP desk to see if they will help on her behalf (I'm EXP, GF is PLT)? Should we suggest filing a police report, given that it seems very suspicious the missing bag is the one with the presents in it and there is no record of it entering the "system"? Of course, she's already had to spend time and money buying replacement presents for family.
when I had luggage delays out of the extraordinary, I call the EXP, they will followup or contact you with a baggage supervisor, they are really nice and helpful because what they do is manually locate your bag by calling whoever needs to be called and find by color, size, brand, contents, etc.

they did even helped me once with a LAN operated flight, LAN guys had no idea about where my bag was, and AA agents did locate the bag.

it is worth to call EXP.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:36 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Sandra_D

for delays, it depends on the class of service you are traveling, your status, etc. the few times I had missing bags they authorized X amount of money to be spend in clothing. that amount of money is negotiable if you flew in J for example and it depends if you are arriving home, or work and have a meeting , etc. If you are arriving home, you get nothing, if you are in vacation it depends on how many days of delay, and I remember once I had a meeting at work I need to buy suit, they authorized some money for that too. (but I was in paid business class seat)

about missing the bag completely, I'm not sure, never happened to me.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Has anyone had any recent experience with bags going missing when departing DFW Terminal B? Girlfriend was on an AE flight from DFW->CSG on Wednesday (three days ago) and checked two bags - one with clothes the other with Christmas presents. The bag with clothes made it while the other one didn't. The baggage service agents have not been very helpful at all and can't find any evidence that the bag even left DFW ...
Presumably your girlfriend:
  1. Still has the bag tag receipt for the missing bag
  2. reported the missing bag at CSG
  3. Has received the appropriate documentation from the AE baggage agents CSG
If the answer to 1 is no, then your girlfriend may be SOL.

As for 2 & 3 there are time limits for reporting mssing bags.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by serfty
Presumably your girlfriend:
  1. Still has the bag tag receipt for the missing bag
  2. reported the missing bag at CSG
  3. Has received the appropriate documentation from the AE baggage agents CSG
If the answer to 1 is no, then your girlfriend may be SOL.

As for 2 & 3 there are time limits for reporting mssing bags.
Yes to all three. The online missing-bag tracking site just says that the bag still hasn't been located and she receives a couple of automated voice messages each day to the same effect. It just seems very strange that the bag vanished without trace after being accepted at check-in. I'm not sure how many check points there are for baggage from check-in to delivery, but assuming there are some, AE appear to be saying that this particular bag never made even the first one.

If I was cynical I would think that a baggage screener helped themselves as soon as it left check-in. I don't know how often this happens, but I do recall a handler at DFW being arrested quite recently for systematic theft.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone on AA 70 or at dfw today? Did something stupid

Mods, please delete if you deem this to be inappropriate.

Am flyibg dfw-fra today. On my connecting flight i realized that I packed my (prescribed) lunesta in my checked bags. already asked at the admirals club if they can intercept my checked bag and they are unable to do so. If anyone reading this is on aa 70 and might be able to share something similar, it would be greatly appreciated. Pls send me a pm. I'm in the a club now, headed to d pre flight.

On a related topic (to make this more relevant to the rest of the board) is it in fact true that bags can't be intercepted? I wouldn't expect aa to do so in my case since it would simply be a convenience but surely there are occasions when they would do it. Anyone know what they would be?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zski1
Mods, please delete if you deem this to be inappropriate.

Am flyibg dfw-fra today. On my connecting flight i realized that I packed my (prescribed) lunesta in my checked bags. already asked at the admirals club if they can intercept my checked bag and they are unable to do so. If anyone reading this is on aa 70 and might be able to share something similar, it would be greatly appreciated. Pls send me a pm. I'm in the a club now, headed to d pre flight.

On a related topic (to make this more relevant to the rest of the board) is it in fact true that bags can't be intercepted? I wouldn't expect aa to do so in my case since it would simply be a convenience but surely there are occasions when they would do it. Anyone know what they would be?

Yes, it's true that bags cannot be intercepted once TSA cleared and sent for loading, especially for international widebody flights where the bags are first packed into cargo containers and then loaded onto the aircraft. The larger the station, the more automatation, and thus the lesser the chance that they could intercept your bags. It's not simply an issue of a ramp worker going into the back room....it's MUCH more complicated than that.

In your case, since you say it would be just a "convenience," then forget about it and wait until you reach FRA. If it were a true emergency, then they could pull your bags, but it most likely would take several hours to locate them (by unloading containers until they found the right one), disrupting the travel of hundreds of passengers and cargo customers, and most likely resulting in your being denied boarding.

Next time, don't put anything essential in your checked luggage.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Luesta, huh? If no one will give you one you could try diphenhydramine (sp?) which you can buy out in the concourse. Look for Tylenol P.M. or just plain Benadryl.

Am flyibg dfw-fra today. On my connecting flight i realized that I packed my (prescribed) lunesta in my checked bags. already asked at the admirals club if they can intercept my checked bag and they are unable to do so. If anyone reading this is on aa 70 and might be able to share something similar, it would be greatly appreciated. P
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I agree with Gamecock - probably easy to find packet of diphenhydramine in the airport shops at Terminal D at DFW- much easier than trying to get them to sort baggage.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
On my connecting flight i realized that I packed my (prescribed) lunesta in my checked bags. already asked at the admirals club if they can intercept my checked bag and they are unable to do so. If anyone reading this is on aa 70 and might be able to share something similar, it would be greatly appreciated. Pls send me a pm. I'm in the a club now, headed to d pre flight.
Isnt asking for prescription drugs from others illegal?

Not that it really matters...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Isnt asking for prescription drugs from others illegal?

Not that it really matters...
I was thinking the same thing. FWIW-Benydril tends to knock me out. Good luck.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I was thinking the same thing. FWIW-Benydril tends to knock me out. Good luck.
I'd be a lot more worried that I'd give the drug to someone who had an allergy, they drop dead, and then the family hires an ambulance-chaser to clean my clock!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the Benadryl idea, don't know why I didn't think of its availability in the airport.

After running 5 miles on the treadmill at the A club, then after boarding the plane, downing 3 glasses of wine and taking 2 benadryls, I managed to sleep a grand total of 2 hours. Better than nothing! Had the a very surly business class flight attendant, which may have irritated me just enough to make me not want to sleep. That and the fact that I had just woken up 6 hours before getting on the plane could have had something to do with it.

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint anything the FA did that was downright wrong, so there's no letter-writing to be done. She just did a perfunctory job, including not making any attempt to call anyone by their names, when asked for help with my malfunctioning video system she ultimately did get it fixed-it took her multiple requests from me to just reset my seat's video system, which then worked, but didn't really pay attention to what was wrong with it. This was before the wine and benadryl, so I know I was asking intelligible questions. The people in front of me also had the same problem with their video system that I had and she told them, "you'll just have to change the channels manually like you're watching TV," even after resetting mine to make it work properly as an on-demand system. If she had bothered to stop and understand what was wrong with my video system before she reset it, she could have realized that she needed to fix everyone's, but she wasn't even willing to listen to me when I told her that I thought everyone was having the same problem that I had. When asked by the guy next to me what the special wine selection was, she pulled out the bottle (after passing us by with the cart), then held it out behind her over his head and said "It's this", as though she couldn't be bothered to say, "Mr. XXXX, today we have a blah blah blah". The couple in front of me asked if the sauce for the meat was already on it or served on the side and she flatly said "I don't know". (couldn't she check? and shouldn't she know, since it's part of her job?) Whew-guess I needed to vent; looking back, my irritation with her is kind of ridiculous, obviously I had a safe trip in a comfortable seat, but it ticks me off when even in today's economy this FA should feel lucky to have a job and instead she acted like the smallest request from any of us was a terrible burden for her to endure. Guess there are a few bad apples floating around out there, the 4 or 5 J transatlantic J trips I've had have all been great up until now. Sorry for the digression.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.