Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, UA Silver
@Exec_Plat
I wish they would have a bagging tracing system akin to something like FedEx or UPS uses, I've also heard that Delta actually created one but haven't heard if thats still in use. Internationally I think they do have to have a positive bag match and I remember stations quoting me exactly which container a bag was loaded into for an over seas flight, but not domestically. I've toyed around with the idea of getting a bag GPS, but I don't often check luggage.

http://www.zdnet.com/new-gps-tracker...st-7000021398/

http://crankyflier.com/2011/04/21/yo...me-like-fedex/
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
we should all pay close attention when our bags are being tagged. last week i rechecked bags at MIA transiting SCL to MXP and we left the ticket agent when she gave us our boarding passes /baggage claim tickets. Leaving the F check-in area, I turned to see one of my bags sitting on the scale, untagged and no ticket agent to be seen. returned to see bag tag printed but stuck to the counter. i got someone to get my bag tagged correctly but how it had been left is how bags get lost.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:57 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by JMN57
we should all pay close attention when our bags are being tagged. last week i rechecked bags at MIA transiting SCL to MXP and we left the ticket agent when she gave us our boarding passes /baggage claim tickets. Leaving the F check-in area, I turned to see one of my bags sitting on the scale, untagged and no ticket agent to be seen. returned to see bag tag printed but stuck to the counter. i got someone to get my bag tagged correctly but how it had been left is how bags get lost.

Agree 100%. I always, always look at the tags on the bag before I leave the skycap desk (I normally check at curbside).
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by N9931E
Good, it sounds like they are on the right path to start! You say its an upright 2?, I forgot most of the bag type codes but I remember the following types;
01 is a hard side bag (think Sampsonite hard sided bag from the 60's/70's)
23 is a soft sided version of the 01 type.
22 is the most common soft sided bag, the type flight crews use with wheels and a pull up handle
02 is a hard sided version of the 22
I'm guessing your bag type may be marked as a BK02HWX for a hard side or a BK22HPW if its soft side (H=Retractable Handle, P=Pockets, W=Wheels, X=filler/none) If this is correct then see if you can locate the WorldTracer record number which I believe is created automatically after the file is created, you can verify this by requesting the Worldtracer locator number which will be different then the six digit file locator AA uses and should be located under the bag description line in SABRE. The format is the city of file creation, airline and six numbers so your file should be something like 'GRU AA 123456'. Once you get it try looking it up on this Air Canada Website which should display an abbreviated version of your file on this site; http://www.aircanada.com/en/common/b...rldtracer.html
Keep in mind this is a very basic info and you may not see anything other then your name and bag description and current status but you won't have to wait on a phone queue, and you'll know other airlines will be able to see its missing.

I know what you mean about the proactive stuff, at the very least I would send a letter asking for a travel voucher for the inconvenience. On the business side this tracer file will be charged back to the station and agent that caused the error.
It was coded as BK02, my bag is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Lugg.../dp/B003SNHJMI

is there any way to run a query on the system to search all unclaimed bags that are BK02? I know that it should come out with a lot of results, but, then , we could match the bag tag number, that should be near the number the I have on my other bags... I'm assuming that the bag tags are sequential.. is this a correct assumption?

Will try to get my worldtrace file #.
Jeffrey
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:36 pm

Ok - just called AA baggage service again, after 40 min on hold I finally talked to an agent that said that I have no WorldTrace # on file... He spent another 15 min talking to someone to get this figured, and, he had to ask someone to enter it manually.... that way I think that if I dont have this record on WT there is no way to match my bag if the final destination is not operated by AA....

lets see how this evolves... tomorrow I'm going to call again and ask for the WT number...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:05 am

With AA on the phone again.. the agent is saying that the World Trace number is going to be generated only if they have a match... as I dont have a bag tag number, there is no WT file right now..
Not sure if its right or not.

Jeffrey
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:14 am

Another chapter of this long history, after 2 hours with another agent, he was able to get the agent that checked me in on line and she said that the bag that she took the bat tag out and put mine was going to porto rico. So he called porto rico and found out that a man called Victor got there and his bag was missing, he filed a report and his bag matches to the contents with the bag that went to brazil... in summary I helped this guy to find his bag, but AA stil cant find mine.
still need to find the other person destination... that proves that the matching system does not work very well... his bag was stuck in GRU since thusrday, and no match on the system occurred.

so frustrating...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, UA Silver
It frustrating, tag swap issues can one of the hardest issues to resolve until after every thing is sent to corporate at the 5 day mark but it sounds like from the description you have a a double tag swap since your tag was placed on a third persons bag. The bag type looks 100% correct.

I think the agent was correct in saying that a WorldTracer file would not be created initially if your route didn't include another carrier but they can be created manually and I thought they would have been opened automatically at the 24 hour mark, this could have changed or I may not remember this correctly. I honestly don't remember how to push this manually. Remember that the purpose of WorldTracer is to create a match so they wouldn't want to create a WorldTracer file after a match is created, that would be a waste of resources. Unfortunately WT will not let anyone beyond airline agents search trace for security reasons.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You indicated the baggage was loaded with presents. I assume you have receipts for all of this, so that should make compensation a bit easier, if the bulk of items in the lost bag have receipts
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
You indicated the baggage was loaded with presents. I assume you have receipts for all of this, so that should make compensation a bit easier, if the bulk of items in the lost bag have receipts
OP already told us he has all the receipts, FYI.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's really hard and seemingly rude, particularly to those in line behind you, but regretably a necessity to stay at the counter when you are checking bags, having changes made or whatever. I too have had bags erroneously tagged, but caught the agent's error by looking at the tag on the bag. Same thing with new BP's in IRROPS and the like.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I Wish this was that simple.... the point is, I have 2 PS4s on that bag.
PS4s in US goes for 400 usd, in Brazil 1.6k USD... yes... I'm not joking, just google ps4 brazil and you will see... I know that they have a cap for 1.7k usd per bag, and, the replacement cost here is Brazil is way beyond that... If they do not found my bag, I think that I will need to take them to the court for the replacement cost of the items.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please focus on efforts to locate your baggage. A treaty to which both the USA and Brazzil are parties, the Montreal Convention, limits AA's liability to you to approximately US$1,500 per passenger. You can sue AA in the USA or Brazil and you will get the same thing, adjusted for local currency and limited by the same agreement.

A far better route is to scour your credit card agreement and any insurance which you might have to determine what coverage might be there. Some credit cards cover baggage loss and others simply cover lost items. Unfortunately, I can't think of any policy which would cover a US$400 item and pay out US$1,600 due to location. But, it is worth checking out.

It is water under a bridge for OP, but worth noting for others that if one has items of significant value and which will be hard to replace, it is well worth declaring the excess value and paying that fee. In this case, it would still not get OP more than US$800 for his two PS4's, but his total limit would be higher than US$1,500.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:54 pm

sure - I do want to find my baggage.. that's why I've been for hours (10+) on the phone trying to convince agents to call the airports, and run queries on the system..... I want the bag because its Xmas gifts....

my only complain is that now that we are sure that there is a 3rd person involved, its clear that my bag went to the same place that the person that was checked in beside me went... that being said, its fairly easy.. call the agent that took care of my bags, ask her what is the agent id that worked next to her at that day, and, search all the bags that were checked in in a 30 minutes timeframe before the time my check in was done... that will leave them with maybe 10-15 bag tag numbers.... run another query on their system or WT and check if they have any of those numbers sitting in a station.... the problem is that they do not empower the agents to do such thing... they just add info and wait for the system to match...

Jeffrey

Originally Posted by Often1
Please focus on efforts to locate your baggage. A treaty to which both the USA and Brazzil are parties, the Montreal Convention, limits AA's liability to you to approximately US$1,500 per passenger. You can sue AA in the USA or Brazil and you will get the same thing, adjusted for local currency and limited by the same agreement.

A far better route is to scour your credit card agreement and any insurance which you might have to determine what coverage might be there. Some credit cards cover baggage loss and others simply cover lost items. Unfortunately, I can't think of any policy which would cover a US$400 item and pay out US$1,600 due to location. But, it is worth checking out.

It is water under a bridge for OP, but worth noting for others that if one has items of significant value and which will be hard to replace, it is well worth declaring the excess value and paying that fee. In this case, it would still not get OP more than US$800 for his two PS4's, but his total limit would be higher than US$1,500.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lordskylab
long story short, I have a bag missing, with a label on it that does not belongs to me.. the serial number is unknow. the only thing that I have on my bag are my Initials....

any help is highly appreciated, and specially my children will be very happy to get the bag again, since its stuffed with Xmas gifts.
Hello and welcome to FlyerTalk, lordskylab. I'm very sorry to hear about your circumstances and wish you luck in getting it resolved.

I have merged this post and its subsequent replies into the extant consolidated thread on the topic of lost bags. Because this issue comes up with some frequency, we have this discussion in one place for categorisation and findability.

Again, good luck with your issue.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.