Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Your luggage is by no means lost. AA has already told you that they located it on a later flight. With the weather issues at BOS and ORD, it is not surprising that it is taking longer than expected. You can certainly follow up with AA to determine where it is that they located the bag, e.g., was it on a later flight from Japan to BOS or did it miss your BOS-ORD.

2. Nonetheless, you should file a claim with your baggage insurer. Some require that it be done relatively quickly. So, you do not want to miss any deadlines just in case the bag never turns up.

3. As an international passenger, you are covered up to a maximum SDR1131 (approx US$1,700). The good news is that there are no exclusions such as for valuables. The bad news is that items are valued at "fair market value". In other words, a shirt which cost $150 a year ago is not worth anywhere near that today.

4. AA or your insurer may also authorize small interim expenses to the extent that you have day-to-day needs not covered by your hand luggage.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Receipts of items lost serves following basic purpose for an insurance company:

1. Actual value you paid for the item.

2. Date of purchase. Depreciation is one of a key tool an insurance company use to decrease the amount of claim insurance company will pay out.

3. The proof that you actually owned the item.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by macboss
I arrived to Chicago last night from Japan. I had to stop by Boston and transfer my checked in luggage at Boston. Upon arrival in Chicago, I found out my luggage did not come with me on the same flight but on a later flight. I was so exhausted to wait for it so I filed a ticket at the bag service of AA in Ohare to have them deliver the bag to me. Today, I received a call after 12 hours that they have not located my luggage. I'm afraid the luggage is lost. If it is the case, will they reimburse me for the loss and at what value? I do have something of value in the luggage. I did lock the luggage.

Thanks,
Flew this morning MIA-BOS with luggage originally checked MIA-JFK-BOS. It took them more than 12 hours to locate our luggage too. I wouldn't worry given how crazy things have been weather-wise here.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Your luggage is by no means lost. AA has already told you that they located it on a later flight. With the weather issues at BOS and ORD, it is not surprising that it is taking longer than expected. You can certainly follow up with AA to determine where it is that they located the bag, e.g., was it on a later flight from Japan to BOS or did it miss your BOS-ORD.

2. Nonetheless, you should file a claim with your baggage insurer. Some require that it be done relatively quickly. So, you do not want to miss any deadlines just in case the bag never turns up.

3. As an international passenger, you are covered up to a maximum SDR1131 (approx US$1,700). The good news is that there are no exclusions such as for valuables. The bad news is that items are valued at "fair market value". In other words, a shirt which cost $150 a year ago is not worth anywhere near that today.

4. AA or your insurer may also authorize small interim expenses to the extent that you have day-to-day needs not covered by your hand luggage.
This. I know it's hard, but the weather is wrecking havoc on travel right now. Thousands of flights have been cancelled across the country so everyone is slammed right now, it's going to take a few days to get back to normal.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: QF PlatinumOne, VS Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold, Virgin Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PCR Platinum
Question Lost baggage on AA and interim reimbursement

Travelled on AA from MCO-MIA-LGA on Fri 03JAN14 and booked in First with my family of 5 connecting on CX from JFK to HKG in Business. We were booked in First (A) and flew the 1st leg MCO-MIA in First only to arrive at MIA and advised connecting flight to LGA cancelled. Was eventually put on alternative flight to LGA with bags still tagged to LGA. On arrival in LGA all bags were missing in which we immediately went to AA Baggage Services and reported the lost bags, obtaining a Property irregularity receipt and reminded them we had a connecting CX flight JFK-HKG. We knew we had to take our own way with bags between LGA-JFK when we booked the ticket as we had 16hour connection layover.

3 days later after repeated calls to AA baggage services 1-800-535-5225 we do not have any of our 4 pieces of luggage and are now in Hong Kong and have to buy clothes for 5 people! After 5 calls to AA everyone provides a different interim reimbursement policy for delayed luggage. Initially nothing offered until I went to baggage services at JFK/8 prior to boarding CX to HKG where they advised we are entitled to $100 per checked baggage for every 24 hours up to 21 days for clothing/shoes (excl. toiletries) but had to call 1-800-525-5225 every 24 hours for status check on bags and approval for additional entitlement. Of course need receipts and submit within 30 days to AA Interim Expense Reimbursement. What is the reimbursement policy, as I do not wish to be caught out of pocket for items AA will not accept? Now entering 4th day and no news on bags via aa.com/bagstatus and as we are no longer in America any form of communication from AA is non-existent.

Question;
1. What is AA policy for interim reimbursement for delayed baggage?
2. We items with AA not cover as I need to purchase new clothing and shoes as can not go into a meeting in runners!

I can appreciate the snowstorm is out of AA’s control and many others are in a similar situation yet poor communication, zero customer service and lack of accountability for loss of bags is unacceptable.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended

You have travel insurance, right? Why can't you call the 800 number from Hong Kong? Do you have Internet access?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ge/delayed.jsp
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA is bound by the Montreal convention: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montr...n#Lost_baggage

1131 SDR is currently equal to a bit over USD 1700. Only replacement items are covered, so you can't purchase items of higher cost/quality of thise in the bag and get reimbursed for them; generally you also need to show that there was a legitimate need for such a replacement. And be prepared to fight for your rights.

Virtually all travel insurance is secondary, not primary, so it won't help unless you have coverage exceeding the Montreal convention limit and your loss is above it as well, which is why they're generally such a lousy deal for the frequent traveler.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's been 7 days yet my bad is nowhere to be found. I got automated status update phone call from AA everyday saying the bag has not been located. I have called in a few times but they couldn't help me and asked me to wait. I was advised now that I have to fill out a questionnaire to describe my bag and list what is inside the bag.

It was an award travel redeemed using my miles. I think I used American express card to pay for the taxes of the free tickets ($100). I did not pay for bag insurance or claim any valuables. So in my case, is AA still liable for up to $1700 for my bag? How long will it take them to reimburse me the money? Does American Express offer insurance on lost bags on international flights paid by its cards (in this case, the amount was minimal)?

It's been really frustrated.

Thanks again for your helps. Much appreciate.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to your Amex card, you will have to look at the specific benefits of the specific card which you used. The benefits vary from card-to-card and country-to-country. The benefits section will tell you exactly what is covered and under what conditions. If you can make a claim to Amex, it will be far easier & faster and they will sort things with AA.

2. If you do not have coverage and have to rely on AA, your questionnaire will ask you to describe and value items. While you will be asked for receipts, don't let the fact that you don't have a receipt for every shirt stop you from listing the item. Do understand that you will be reimbursed only Fair Market Value. That is what the item is worth today, not what it costs to replace it. For an international ticket, the maximum will be approximately US$1,700.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Montreal Convention, article 19 states the following: "The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...18(01):en:HTML
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Montreal Convention, article 19 states the following: "The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...18(01):en:HTML
Does it mean AA could say "we have tried everything in our power to locate your bag but we could not hence we are not liable for your lost bag?"
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by macboss
Thanks for all the replies guys. It's been 7 days yet my bad is nowhere to be found. I got automated status update phone call from AA everyday saying the bag has not been located. I have called in a few times but they couldn't help me and asked me to wait. I was advised now that I have to fill out a questionnaire to describe my bag and list what is inside the bag.
Hopefully you put identifying information inside the bag, like your home addesss, phone number, flights, and name.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
First, the good news, am in Kauai, Hawaii awake in the middle of the night due to jetlag, but at least feeling good to be here. We flew over the last few days LCY-JFK-LAX-LIH in Business/first and arrived yesterday in LIH. Unfortunately our bags didn't. I suspected trouble checking in the bag at LCY (we did US pre clearance in SNN where we identified our bags, but they were checked all the way through to LIH) but decided to do it anyway.

Anyway, filed a claim at the airport and they weren't able to locate the bag and it didn't come on the later flight last night. Just checked by phone and online and they are still unable to locate my bag. We spoke with an agent on arrival who approved $150 each for the first day to buy some clothes and we bought 1 outfit each including shoes/shorts/shirt/Swimming shorts which came to about 140 USD each.

So, assuming the bag isn't found by the morning, id like to buy a second outfit as we cant wear the same clothes everyday and I arrived in a suit as I came straight from work (So not really appropriate Kauai attire). Whats the best way to handle the call to the agent and is it realistic that they will release further funds in this case? Does the fact we travelled International business make any difference?

I have reasonably good insurance with 0 excess but the terms say that first you have to negotiate with the airline, then claim any excess above what they pay afterwards. Also, im not the sort of person who keeps receipts so proving anything that was in the bag is going to be difficult.

Anyway, will try to get some sleep and looking forward to some much needed R&R on the beach in the morning
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:34 am

Still no bags and looks like the insurance isn't as great as I thought. Ive copied the wording which as I have no receipts, I might be better off with the airline. We have a lot of expensive items in the bag and its going to be a real shame to lose them. From reading this thread, it seems its best to get approval from AA before buying anything new, so any advice on how to handle the Agents would be great!

terms of my insurance (We have premium cover) :
PERSONAL LUGGAGE
If, in the course of a Trip, Your Personal Luggage is damaged, stolen, destroyed or lost (and not recovered), We will pay You up to a maximum of £200 Economy/£1,000 Standard/£2,000 Premier per each Insured Person in total under this policy.
Within this amount the following sub-limits apply:

The maximum We will pay You for any one article, or for any one Pair or Set of articles, is £100 Economy/£150 Standard/£250 Premier per each Insured Person. If You cannot provide an original receipt, valuation report or other satisfactory proof of ownership (for example, a photograph of You wearing the article) and value to support the claim, payment for any one article, or for any one Pair or Set of articles, will be limited to a maximum of £50. Evidence of replacement value is not sufficient.

The maximum We will pay You for all articles lost, damaged or stolen in any one incident is limited to £250 if You cannot provide satisfactory proof of ownership and value.

SECTION 11 LUGGAGE DELAY ON YOUR OUTWARD JOURNEY
What is covered:
For Standard or Premier policies only, if Your luggage is certified by the Carrier to have been lost or misplaced on the outward journey of a Trip for a period of more than 12 hours, We will pay You the sum of up to £50 per complete 24 hours up to a maximum of £150 per each Insured Person for the purchase of essential items.
Such sums will be refundable to Us if the luggage or any part of it proves to be permanently lost and/or a claim is made under the Personal Luggage section.
Special conditions relating to claims
You must provide receipts for the essential items and a report from the Carrier confirming the length of the delay - otherwise no payment will be made.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:20 pm

Just got off the phone with an AA Agent and was told that the $150 authorization I received yesterday was not a limit and that I should buy what I need for immediate use and that it was done on a trust basis. Has anyone else heard about this as it seems contrary to what I have read here.

Still no bags and still AA and BA have no idea where it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.