Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Holiday without luggage (lost/delayed), what can I expect from AA?

Hi all,

I tried to find a suitable thread where to post this, but I couldn't find a good place. Mods, please move as you feel appropriate.

I recently got back home from a trip to Honolulu but unfortunately my luggage never made it to Hawaii with me. The trip was booked on aa.com and was in Business/First. Basically all my clothes were in the bag along with a few other things.

It seems that the BA agent at Dublin tagged the bag through to LAX instead of HNL, and to make matters worse there was a baggage system failure at LHR on the day of my London connection which meant that the bag didn't get loaded on my flight to Miami. Consequently, all I had were a few essential items in my hand baggage for the whole holiday and journey home (8 days in total). The luggage eventually made it to HNL after I'd departed and was eventually delivered to my home address. AA staff didn't really offer any help during the trip, they just kept giving me toothbrushes and stuff!

I've written to American Airlines asking them to reimburse my costs for the clothes and shoes that I had to buy whilst on holiday. I also suggested that I should be compensated for the fact that I had a problematic holiday due to their failure. I know that these things can sometimes happen, but I didn't anticipate not having clothes for the whole trip, or having to carry a plastic bag of dirty washing with me back to Europe - especially as I'd bought a Business/First Class ticket to make the journey comfortable!

AA seem to be taking their time responding to my email, and I'm really not sure what to expect from them. I'd be grateful if anybody here who has had a similar experience could give me a rough idea as to what is a reasonable resolution to my claim. Do they usually just give AAdvantage miles to compensate?, or should I be trying to get some of the cost of the ticket back?

Thanks in advance for any info. ^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
i thoughts its international standard that you get a certain dollars per day bags are delayed, expect something like max. 100/day but you must show receipts of things purchased during that time, including cloths, toileteries and personal things. When you land and dont find your bags you were supposed to ask the bag office for tracing information and compensation information.

Some arilines like Singapore simply gives you a credit card to buy things with, (or they used to) AA has reimbursed me before for 100/day for a domestic flight, EY gave me $40/day for MLE, a joke but i was able to repeal and got something slightly more
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
i thoughts its international standard that you get a certain dollars per day bags are delayed, expect something like max. 100/day but you must show receipts of things purchased during that time, including cloths, toileteries and personal things. When you land and dont find your bags you were supposed to ask the bag office for tracing information and compensation information.

Some arilines like Singapore simply gives you a credit card to buy things with, (or they used to) AA has reimbursed me before for 100/day for a domestic flight, EY gave me $40/day for MLE, a joke but i was able to repeal and got something slightly more
Thanks for the reply UAConcorde.

I did actually report the missing bag to BA agents at MIA who in turn told me to report it missing once I arrived at the final destination (HNL). The Baggage Service there created a case number and told me that they'd deliver the bag once it arrived. It never did while I was there!

I spent about $270 on clothes, underwear and shoes, but I wrote to AA telling them that I should be compensated for the inconvenience as well. I imagine they're going credit some AA miles, but I just wasn't sure what is the usual compensation should be.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks for the reply UAConcorde.

I did actually report the missing bag to BA agents at MIA who in turn told me to report it missing once I arrived at the final destination (HNL). The Baggage Service there created a case number and told me that they'd deliver the bag once it arrived. It never did while I was there!

I spent about $270 on clothes, underwear and shoes, but I wrote to AA telling them that I should be compensated for the inconvenience as well. I imagine they're going credit some AA miles, but I just wasn't sure what is the usual compensation should be.
If it was delayed and miss tagged in DUB and BA did that why should AA owe you anything?

Usually you are entitled to spend $xx or $xxx per person per day, and each day you have to call up and get permission for the new day If you didnt do that and the amount you spent wasnt much then they may look the other way. However if you spent a ton be prepared for some push back for not calling and getting the OK each day, unless they said OK hes what you can spend each day until youre notified that the bag is here

btw you will need all the receipts as well to back up that in fact you purchased what you claim you did. $$ back off your tkt, greatest joke of the day Im sorry to say

thats what travel ins is all about(which I never purchase myself) You should check your homeowners policy and if you purchased the tkt with a CC, check to see what if any benefits they may have
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz
If it was delayed and miss tagged in DUB and BA did that why should AA owe you anything?
That's the IATA convention: the carrier of the last segment traveled by the passenger is responsible for tracking, delivery and compensation.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by craz

Usually you are entitled to spend $xx or $xxx per person per day, and each day you have to call up and get permission for the new day If you didnt do that and the amount you spent wasnt much then they may look the other way. However if you spent a ton be prepared for some push back for not calling and getting the OK each day, unless they said OK hes what you can spend each day until youre notified that the bag is here

btw you will need all the receipts as well to back up that in fact you purchased what you claim you did. $$ back off your tkt, greatest joke of the day Im sorry to say

thats what travel ins is all about(which I never purchase myself) You should check your homeowners policy and if you purchased the tkt with a CC, check to see what if any benefits they may have
Because that's what BA told me to do. I know that the delay was BA's fault but they didn't issue the ticket and the final destination was in the USA. I imagine AA will have to chase up BA for any money that they pay to me.

I didn't phone them up because no help was offered when I reported the bag missing and I specifically asked if they would help me with payments for any clothes that I had to buy. They simply gave me some toothbrushes!

As far as money back for the ticket, well as far as I see it a Business Class ticket includes checked in baggage delivered to the final destination (as does a longhaul economy ticket!). That didn't happen so the advertised service wasn't provided. But I was thinking more about the inconvenience aspect, have you ever travelled to the other side of the world with one carry on bag for an 8 day trip!?!

Thanks for you comments anyway craz, I appreciate it. ^
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's the IATA convention: the carrier of the last segment traveled by the passenger is responsible for tracking, delivery and compensation.
Learn something new everyday, the tracking and delivery no prob, but that the last Carrier that didnt cause the mishap s/b be the one that has to pay?? Unless they in turn hit in this case BA for a refund of what they had to pay out, I thought he would created the mess is the one to pay. Actually Ive done alot better with BA over the yrs then AA
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Because that's what BA told me to do. I know that the delay was BA's fault but they didn't issue the ticket and the final destination was in the USA. I imagine AA will have to chase up BA for any money that they pay to me.

I didn't phone them up because no help was offered when I reported the bag missing and I specifically asked if they would help me with payments for any clothes that I had to buy. They simply gave me some toothbrushes!

As far as money back for the ticket, well as far as I see it a Business Class tickets includes checked in baggage delivered to the final destination. That didn't happen so the advertised service wasn't provided. But I was thinking more about the inconvenience aspect, have you ever travelled to the other side of the world with one carry on bag for an 8 day trip!?!

Thanks for you comments anyway craz, I appreciate it. ^
Ive been there and like you my bags came on BA the night after I left, yes 1/2 way around the world and what I wrote is what I had to do per BA One of those great LHR jobs with 10s of 1000s of bags all over the place. Then took care of me but it ends with refunding what I laid out for clothes and not a penny more and was told for baggage thats all you get, even any ins wouldnt give back any cost of the tkt
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi all,

I tried to find a suitable thread where to post this, but I couldn't find a good place. Mods, please move as you feel appropriate.

I recently got back home from a trip to Honolulu but unfortunately my luggage never made it to Hawaii with me. The trip was booked on aa.com and was in Business/First. Basically all my clothes were in the bag along with a few other things.

It seems that the BA agent at Dublin tagged the bag through to LAX instead of HNL, and to make matters worse there was a baggage system failure at LHR on the day of my London connection which meant that the bag didn't get loaded on my flight to Miami. Consequently, all I had were a few essential items in my hand baggage for the whole holiday and journey home (8 days in total). The luggage eventually made it to HNL after I'd departed and was eventually delivered to my home address. AA staff didn't really offer any help during the trip, they just kept giving me toothbrushes and stuff!

I've written to American Airlines asking them to reimburse my costs for the clothes and shoes that I had to buy whilst on holiday. I also suggested that I should be compensated for the fact that I had a problematic holiday due to their failure. I know that these things can sometimes happen, but I didn't anticipate not having clothes for the whole trip, or having to carry a plastic bag of dirty washing with me back to Europe - especially as I'd bought a Business/First Class ticket to make the journey comfortable!

AA seem to be taking their time responding to my email, and I'm really not sure what to expect from them. I'd be grateful if anybody here who has had a similar experience could give me a rough idea as to what is a reasonable resolution to my claim. Do they usually just give AAdvantage miles to compensate?, or should I be trying to get some of the cost of the ticket back?

Thanks in advance for any info. ^
I feel your pain, and I'm not willing to let an airline off the hook when they're responsible for failures, but I'm sorry, whose failures were these? How can they be AA's in these instances:
  • It seems that the BA agent at Dublin tagged the bag through to LAX instead of HNL

• there was a baggage system failure at LHR on the day of my London connection which meant that the bag didn't get loaded on my flight to Miami.
Okay, I had to ask that.

AA is responsible for delivering your baggage as it was the last carrier, it's true. But they don't have the ability to retroactively undo what the BA agent failed to do in Dublin, nor for the much discussed recent (one of many) BAA / LHR baggage system meltdown, where it took days to sort it out.

I can't imagine AA will do much more than they've done - retrieve and deliver your baggage to you, delayed by some of the failures along the way, other than possibly grant you some reimbursement for clothes expenses, a pro forma apology and possibly some miles.

I hope you do get some clothing allowance, though calling, having it authorised and in the record would undoubtedly been more effective.

Some of the ticket cost reimbursement? I'm pretty sure AA won't do that because what happened was not a cabin service etc. failure, it was pretty much something beyond their control. Your Business / First travel seems to have been satisfactory, got you there and back on time; your bag went missing for unrelated causes.

Something to consider for future travel comfort: Many men who travel long distances often take one carry on bag and personal item, which includes at least a pair of shoes, two more trousers (I'm wearing one pair of trousers, shoes, etc. already), several tips, toiletries, underwear, etc. that usually suffices for up to six weeks, particularly in Hawaii or Caribbean warm weather destinations. For cooler destinations if I must check a bag I'll still carry on some backups in case I get stuck somewhere with IROP or baggage delays. In both cases I'll use a local laundry (even a hotel's if there's not another available).

If my bag went missing (it has), I'd not really let it affect my holiday - and I'd never ask an airline to compensate me for that, and nearly all decline responsibility for consequential damages. Just a friendly suggestion from six decades + of travel experience for work and leisure.

I hope you enjoy safe and hopefully uncomplicated travels for your future. I hope you enjoyed Hawaii.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I feel your pain, and I'm not willing to let an airline off the hook when they're responsible for failures, but I'm sorry, whose failures were these? How can they be AA's in these instances:
  • It seems that the BA agent at Dublin tagged the bag through to LAX instead of HNL

• there was a baggage system failure at LHR on the day of my London connection which meant that the bag didn't get loaded on my flight to Miami.
Okay, I had to ask that.

AA is responsible for delivering your baggage as it was the last carrier, it's true. But they don't have the ability to retroactively undo what the BA agent failed to do in Dublin, nor for the much discussed recent (one of many) BAA / LHR baggage system meltdown, where it took days to sort it out.

I can't imagine AA will do much more than they've done - retrieve and deliver your baggage to you, delayed by some of the failures along the way, other than possibly grant you some reimbursement for clothes expenses, a pro forma apology and possibly some miles.

I hope you do get some clothing allowance, though calling, having it authorised and in the record would undoubtedly been more effective.

Some of the ticket cost reimbursement? I'm pretty sure AA won't do that because what happened was not a cabin service etc. failure, it was pretty much something beyond their control. Your Business / First travel seems to have been satisfactory, got you there and back on time; your bag went missing for unrelated causes.

Something to consider for future travel comfort: Many men who travel long distances often take one carry on bag and personal item, which includes at least a pair of shoes, two more trousers (I'm wearing one pair of trousers, shoes, etc. already), several tips, toiletries, underwear, etc. that usually suffices for up to six weeks, particularly in Hawaii or Caribbean warm weather destinations. For cooler destinations if I must check a bag I'll still carry on some backups in case I get stuck somewhere with IROP or baggage delays. In both cases I'll use a local laundry (even a hotel's if there's not another available).

If my bag went missing (it has), I'd not really let it affect my holiday - and I'd never ask an airline to compensate me for that, and nearly all decline responsibility for consequential damages. Just a friendly suggestion from six decades + of travel experience for work and leisure.

I hope you enjoy safe and hopefully uncomplicated travels for your future. I hope you enjoyed Hawaii.
Thanks for you words and thoughts JDiver.

I think I made it clear in all my posts that I'm very aware of who was responsible for me not getting my bag, that is not disputable (Heathrow is a mess). I've simply stated the fact that I've been told (as per the convention) that I've got to try and claim back my expenses from the airline that operated the final flight. I was simply seeking some information here as to how the airline normally resolves such claims.

As for you comments about what one would be advised to pack, well I did indeed have all my toiletries, some underwear, t-shirt, and shorts - so I wasn't completely unprepared for such an event. But the airline should also accept its responsibilities and provide help when such a situation arises, and I don't mean just a toothbrush.

Your final point about not letting it ruin my holiday, well I'm certainly not that daft! Please be my guest, and read my trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...goes-awol.html
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by inpd
Personally, I rarely ask for miles because quite frankly I have far too many already.

But I do find asking for miles is a good way to get an airlines attention and hopefully correct bad behavior.

With that in mind, I've noticed that the year before last year on about 30+ flights no missing/late bags. But in the last year. Wow. It seems one in three flights my bags arrive one day, some time 3 days late. Its very annoying.
Okay. Here is the followup. I picked one particular egregious event where the AA customer service representative told me it was my fault for booking a 3 hour connection in LAX. I quoted the person verbatim and even gave their name ... and received a canned response below.

I don't care if its 2K miles or 20K miles or 2 miles. It's patently clear that no one is actually doing anything about these complaints just sending out miles and hoping it will appease people.

"Every day we depend on our people to serve our customers well. We strive to train our employees to be courteous and knowledgeable but our efforts are of little value if we fail to provide professional service. We are deeply disappointed that you did not receive the treatment you deserve when you traveled with us. Please accept our apology.

We are also sorry you didn't receive your baggage as expected. We know how frustrating it is for our customers to be without their belongings, and we continually look for ways to improve and refine our baggage handling procedures to minimize such experiences.

As a gesture of goodwill, we have credited your AAdvantage® account with 2,000 bonus miles. This adjustment should appear in your account very soon."
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:37 am

Thanks for you words and thoughts JDiver.

I think I made it clear in all my posts that I'm very aware of who was responsible for me not getting my bag, that is not disputable (Heathrow is a mess). I've simply stated the fact that I've been told (as per the convention) that I've got to try and claim back my expenses from the airline that operated the final flight. I was simply seeking some information here as to how the airline normally resolves such claims.

As for you comments about what one would be advised to pack, well I did indeed have all my toiletries, some underwear, t-shirt, and shorts - so I wasn't completely unprepared for such an event. But the airline should also accept its responsibilities and provide help when such a situation arises, and I don't mean just a toothbrush.

Your final point about not letting it ruin my holiday, well I'm certainly not that daft! Please be my guest, and read my trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...goes-awol.html
Good to hear you did enjoy your holiday in spite of the baggage problem.

The airline - AA - will do exactly what any self-respecting airline will do, including IME BA - blag it off as long and as much as possible. In this instance because of the force majeure nature of the delays, possibly even less.

If I were to write a brief letter I'd mention the delay of baggage and eventual delivery back home (sans the BA snafu and LHR baggage cockup) and a list of necessities purchased with a stated expectation of reimbursement. I'm not sure what a reasonable amount is, but I am sure they'll trim it to what they think is.

Sean Bentel
Vice President Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
They're JBV and revenue sharing partners, AA-BA-IB transatlantic, so let them worry about what pocket it comes from.

But ticket readjustments I'd stay away from.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 12:58 pm Reason: Typos
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Good to hear you did enjoy your holiday in spite of the baggage problem.
Thanks for your comments and the very useful advice JDiver ^
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thanks for your comments and the very useful advice JDiver ^
We'll see if it was useful - please let us know how it ends.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:57 pm

Delayed Luggage

Hi -

We took a trip from NYC to St Thomas, UVI. On the return, American Airlines had a terrible check-in process in place at the St Thomas airport so it came as no surprise that they ended up sending one of our bags to Toronto instead of to JFK since they tagged it with someone else's luggage tag. It has been two days now and the bag has not arrived though they have located it in Toronto and seems it was driven over to Buffalo then flown to Chicago and is now on its way home to NYC.

Is there anything we can "reasonably" ask American Airlines for as it relates to compensation, be it vouchers, miles, status upgrade, money... For what it may be worth, I am Platinum status. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.