Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:42 pm

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)

I figure it's time for an update and closure on this fiasco:

Since it had been 5 days (got here Saturday morning), I sent three emails early this morning to Air Berlin's baggage and customer service help: [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]
In the email, I included a picture of my bag I took at O'hare before checking in for American. I did not hear anything back from any of my emails, but to my surprise, I just saw that my bag had arrived in Zurich late tonight (around 10:30pm). It should be delivered here by noon tomorrow, then I'm leaving this area Friday morning so one day total with my clothes...

All in all, AA made my life much easier with this process by knowing my bag was at least in Dusseldorf. When I called the AA baggage office in DUS, they gave the number for the ground handling service for AB and an email. None of this was American's fault and they really tried to help me find my bag when it was not their responsibility. For those looking at purchasing connecting AA flights on Air Berlin, be warned if your connection is tight (I had 1 hr 20 min) your bag may go missing for 6 days. Also, take a photo of your luggage before you check it, it could save you several days or weeks of a missing bag.

Thanks everyone for your advice and related experiences!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
80 minutes in DUS is not tight. Chances are the problem is caused by AB but no one here knows for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:18 am

Lost Luggage Reimbursement woes

AA Lost my bags for 3 days (funny part is they were "priority" bags) while while on a military transfer from one temporary duty (TDY) location to another. $250 was authorized for expenses (I am military, I HAD TO buy new uniform items).

One of my two receipts from the on-base store was an ereceipt as their printer was malfunctioned and didn't print my physical copy. I sent both the one original receipt and the printed copy of my ereceipt but knew there was going to be problems so I sent a signed and dated letter stating that one was a ereceipt and why.

Problem: AA sent me a check for only the original receipt of $114 and still screwed me over. This is completely pathetic.They don't have a phone line to call and it appears they don't give a dam about what is mailed to them. Who can I call to get this fixed? I am about to leave for about another month of travel (hopefully not on AA!) and wanted to get this fixed ASAP.

I don't fly AA except for when work purposes (all of my personal travel is done on United) and I have had numerous issues with AA before.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I've sent you a message with the email address of the person I've been communicating with. Hope it helps.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mooha182
AA Lost my bags for 3 days (funny part is they were "priority" bags) while while on a military transfer from one temporary duty (TDY) location to another. $250 was authorized for expenses (I am military, I HAD TO buy new uniform items).

One of my two receipts from the on-base store was an ereceipt as their printer was malfunctioned and didn't print my physical copy. I sent both the one original receipt and the printed copy of my ereceipt but knew there was going to be problems so I sent a signed and dated letter stating that one was a ereceipt and why.

Problem: AA sent me a check for only the original receipt of $114 and still screwed me over. This is completely pathetic.They don't have a phone line to call and it appears they don't give a dam about what is mailed to them. Who can I call to get this fixed? I am about to leave for about another month of travel (hopefully not on AA!) and wanted to get this fixed ASAP.

I don't fly AA except for when work purposes (all of my personal travel is done on United) and I have had numerous issues with AA before.
Um first to say, sorry about your issues and thanks for your service... now please calm down. Go to AA.com and click on "contact us". Under customer relations, there are phone numbers and email. If you fail to find it that way, just call the reservations number and ask for customer relations.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Note that the whole 'original receipt" thing is an interpretation by the airlines. The rule describes:

To meet the
requirements of Part 254 and the requiremen
ts implicit in 49 U.S.C. § 41712, carriers
should remain willing to cover all reasonable,
actual and verifiable expenses related to
baggage loss, damage or delay up to
the amount stated in Part 254
your position should be "I got an e receipt. An e receipt is legally compliant with federal laws regarding electronic documentation. The e-receipt is verifiable.

Your failure to pay for my "reasonable, actual and verifiable expenses" is therefore a violation of US law. I expect a check in __ days otherwise I will file a compliant with DOT.
"

Just one idea....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Note that the whole 'original receipt" thing is an interpretation by the airlines. The rule describes:

your position should be "I got an e receipt. An e receipt is legally compliant with federal laws regarding electronic documentation. The e-receipt is verifiable.

Your failure to pay for my "reasonable, actual and verifiable expenses" is therefore a violation of US law. I expect a check in __ days otherwise I will file a compliant with DOT.
"

Just one idea....
Another is to emphasize to AA you're a military serviceperson. AA forever goes on how much they love you, give courtesy Admitals Club access, upgrades, etc. Now make them put their money where their mouth is - uniform items, exchange receipts etc. should be dealt with adequately.

Do use the AA contact us option, tell 'em what's important and filter the angst. I've flown them on leave, TDY (I practically lived on TDY) and PCS movements and a lot longer; in my experience they do better than UA normally.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious

"

Just one idea....
I had no idea there was a DOT rule. Thank you. Not sure whether it will help in my case--I left originals in the copier at DFW AC (while hiding a drink chit for the FT treasure hunt) but I have the copy. I got an email last week saying my claim was rejected as I didn't send in originals. The biggest issue I have with this is how long it took them to 'look things over' and deny the claim, as I had the assistant manager of one of the shops ready to confirm my purchase any way AA wanted, provided it happened while she could still access it. As it has now been a month, she cannot.

At least it's worth a try.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
In the OP's situation, if it is not incompatible with the rules of his/her employer, I would message AA on Twitter, copying in all of your followers, suggesting that they are not very consistent in their love for the armed forces. I would imagine that would result in a check sent to you so quickly the ink is still wet.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
First ever case of bag damaged by AA - could they handle this any worse?

1. Arrived at MIA with my hard-shell back (purchased in January) cracked.

2. Baggage office tells me they will be able to offer me an equivalent bag by way of final settlement, but unfortunately the supervisor, who has the key to the bags, is in a meeting and cannot be disturbed.

3. I walk upstairs to F check-in and ask to see duty manager.

4. Duty manager (a delightful guy!) walks me downstairs to the premium baggage office, which I hadn't noticed existed. Agent there tells me that the actual problem is that they are out of bags of that size, but will restock overnight and I can come back the next morning. If replacement bag is not acceptable to me, they can give me a loaner bag whilst trying to repair mine. My suggestion that my bag is beyond repair and that it would be much less inconvenient for me and much cheaper for them if they authorise me to go out and buy a new bag is declined.

5. Next morning, I am offered a significantly smaller bag, and decline. Agent tries to persuade me that I had already accepted it, unseen, by way of full and final settlement, and had to take it whether I liked it or not. I put her right and tell her of the offer of a loan bag.

6. Unimpressive (but new) loan bag is grudgingly brought out after a long wait. Agent is disturbed that my own bag is full (of course it is, I have a flight in three hours!). I have to repack on the floor; my stuff just about fits into the loaner.

So there we are. They will allegedly to to repair my bag which very obviously cannot be repaired. They will then ship it to LHR, and get a courier to send it out to me and collect the loaner. This will no doubt be immeasurably more expensive than to give me money to buy a new bag (the bag is worth $165).

I came to the office with a philosophical attitude of "these things happen, they'll put it right", and left furious. They made me stay 1.5 hours at the airport last night and arrive 1.5 hours early this morning. Why do they insist on causing me maximum inconvenience and themselves maximum cost, as it appears out of sheer spite?

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Dec 11, 2014 at 5:32 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the bag cost you $165, a new one from AA will likely cost them $50 or less. They buy these things by the hundred. Thus, they insist in doing the replacement.

In reality, if the bag can't be repaired as you believe, it will be tossed and replaced, likely from a stock maintained by AA at or around LON or through a vendor they use in the UK. They make a judgment as to whether it's worth repairing and shipping or simply writing off the bag and replacing locally, e.g. in the UK.

For any one bag, this seems ponderous. In a massive operation, the process is quite efficient and likely less painful to the passenger.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, HH
I had a Samsonite bag ripped beyond repair last year by AA. I reported the damage at the baggage claim office and got a receipt before I left the airport.

Brought the bag back 2 days later. 3 week later I have a new bag brought to my house by UPS.

They have a system, but it is their system and they will do it their way not the way you want them to do it. It might not make sense to you and me but it does to a manager somewhere at AA.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I rarely check, so never heard of this whole 'loaner bag' and 'on the spot replacement' thing.

Ive received a lost bag claim when I arrived at my home airport, purchased a $300 briggs riley as I was traveling 4 days later... they paid for the interim expenses and ultimately the entire loss.

I simply wouldnt have danced around with them- CoC says nothing about having to be at the airport for hours negotiating over replacements.... I believe the CoC requires a 'claim' be submitted- in fact I think it requires the claim be in writing... Id insist on that:

Loss or Damage >>>Claim>>>Settlement

Is there some kind of "like kind or quality" clause that they use?? Or is there a different process for damage? Something statutory?

I'm particular about my luggage- am I required to just take what THEY decide is an appropriate replacement?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
I'm particular about my luggage- am I required to just take what THEY decide is an appropriate replacement?
FWIW - I had crummy luggage damaged and the contents inside. Even though the total loss came to $300, they nickel and dimed me on everything. Anything I didn't have a receipt for they wouldn't pay for. Haven't flown AA since.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:34 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Archived thread may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Also, please see wiki above for more information. Thanks! /AA Moderators

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:53 am Reason: updating first post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.